CEO Carol Tomé was an outsider hired to whip UPS into shape for the age of e-commerce. Some insiders and lifers worry she’s killing the company.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
@542thruNthru , I'm not being pessimistic. I'm being realistic.
There's no way the company would/should let what happened in 97 happen again.

Performance based pay.

HMOs.

They were asking for a fight. It was also personal imo.

But today it's about retaining market share.

If a strike occurs the letter will read:

Dear Carol, better not bigger just got changed to

BEGGING to get our volume back.

Last edited:

Karma...

I read in the last edition of The Big Idea that in the event of a work slow down or stoppage the company will activate all retired union-free users....

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Tattoos, dreds and beards----just what the average Joe Schmuck wants to see at his front door after dark.

People just want their stuff. Nobody cares if the UPS guy has a beard. I will say though I have seen some really trashy tattoos on some of the other new drivers. I am embarrassed for them.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I read in the last edition of The Big Idea that in the event of a work slow down or stoppage the company will activate all retired union-free users....
That was a great idea!
Except not many retired union people will want to cross the picket line.

Whither

Scofflaw
Went through it in 97. I was building a house, my stomach was in knots everyday. Thankfully it didn’t last long, but I was shoulder to shoulder with guys that went through the previous strike years earlier that lasted months! Even though it was short there was a lot of hatred afterwards. I saw a driver get in a fistfight with our building manager. He was fired later. Point is no one really wins but every so often it has to happen to get rid of some bad blood.
I think we could win better working conditions. People know the company has been raking it in and we would certainly bellow that from the rooftops. Meanwhile the plan is just to work us into the ground? My route sat til noon recently, there was no one to cover it because I had to go toe-to-toe with mgmt to return to the company doctor for an injury that flared up after I had been cleared for full duty. My DM and center manager tried to strong-arm me into working while injured rather than getting treatment. I filed Art 37 against them: harassment and intimidation. Latest incident in a pattern of creating a hostile work environment re: reporting injuries and seeking treatment. These idiots think they can make injuries disappear through bullying. I came back with restrictions, worked very safely, and delivered plenty of late air to businesses on my route. The customers know what's going on, and made it clear that they're both exasperated with UPS and they're on our side.

rod

Retired 22 years
People just want their stuff. Nobody cares if the UPS guy has a beard. I will say though I have seen some really trashy tattoos on some of the other new drivers. I am embarrassed for them.
Nobody cares until they see a homeless looking guy walking up to their door after dark---then they care. The younger generations may not care but us old farts do. UPS used to show some pride in their trucks and employee looks. I'm surprised some of these weirdos aren't being shot delivering after dark.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If they want to try and have pvd’s deliver
It all
Then it’ll be time to get down and dirty with them see how bad they really want to be a delivery driver

Off the leash

I think we could win better working conditions. People know the company has been raking it in and we would certainly bellow that from the rooftops. Meanwhile the plan is just to work us into the ground? My route sat til noon recently, there was no one to cover it because I had to go toe-to-toe with mgmt to return to the company doctor for an injury that flared up after I had been cleared for full duty. My DM and center manager tried to strong-arm me into working while injured rather than getting treatment. I filed Art 37 against them: harassment and intimidation. Latest incident in a pattern of creating a hostile work environment re: reporting injuries and seeking treatment. These idiots think they can make injuries disappear through bullying. I came back with restrictions, worked very safely, and delivered plenty of late air to businesses on my route. The customers know what's going on, and made it clear that they're both exasperated with UPS and they're on our side.
Good for you. I was out on medical after job related surgery and the pt said I could go back on light duty. I said there no such thing, it’s all or nothing. Don’t work hurt! Take your time! friend… rm

Whither

Scofflaw
Lol now I see why Carol is cutting IT. You think all you need to worry about it's delivering packages.

How about loading and unloading them. Trucks, trains, planes all need to be unloaded, sorted and loaded into a PVDs car.

UPS will not be up and running in 24 hours. Will PVDs hurt our strike? Absolutely but UPS will suffer greatly and no I don't believe our strike would cripple UPS. We will all suffer from a strike.

Also if you're a team player then stop bitching like a little girl about how you might have to go back to the office and deal with traffic and miss your little one growing up. Man the friend up and be a team player.
This is more a response to your signature line. I don't think the main issue is revenge, or at least it shouldn't be the goal of a possible strike. A motivation? Of course. We should resent the company's arrogance. Record profits and, at least here, they're gonna dare to start threatening our livelihoods for their understaffing problem? To me the issue is a refusal to accept awful working conditions. Money and bennies don't cover all sins. The workers' fight was never just for payment, but also rest. Around here they think we should be grateful to live to work. Nope. I'll never be grateful to the company. I will pay my respects to the union, even as weak as it's become, and I will insist that I work for the sake of living.

Whither

Scofflaw
Good for you. I was out on medical after job related surgery and the pt said I could go back on light duty. I said there no such thing, it’s all or nothing. Don’t work hurt! Take your time! friend… rm
You know it brother! Tonight I brought a few pieces over my weight restriction back to the building after a DIAD conversation, and snapped a picture of their instruction to do so just to cover my a**, e.g., "See, you guys told me to bring those pkgs back unsheeted, and if they got turfed, ope, that's on you." I think I'm gonna recover fine; I'm feeling better by the day and, believe me, I pay close attention. And I have vacation starting tmrw night. :wink-very:

Off the leash

You know it brother! Tonight I brought a few pieces over my weight restriction back to the building after a DIAD conversation, and snapped a picture of their instruction to do so just to cover my a**, e.g., "See, you guys told me to bring those pkgs back unsheeted, and if they got turfed, ope, that's on you." I think I'm gonna recover fine; I'm feeling better by the day and, believe me, I pay close attention. And I have vacation starting tmrw night. :wink-very:
Good luck

542thruNthru

This is more a response to your signature line. I don't think the main issue is revenge, or at least it shouldn't be the goal of a possible strike. A motivation? Of course. We should resent the company's arrogance. Record profits and, at least here, they're gonna dare to start threatening our livelihoods for their understaffing problem? To me the issue is a refusal to accept awful working conditions. Money and bennies don't cover all sins. The workers' fight was never just for payment, but also rest. Around here they think we should be grateful to live to work. Nope. I'll never be grateful to the company. I will pay my respects to the union, even as weak as it's become, and I will insist that I work for the sake of living.
Honestly I put that signature after the numerous times that I read online and heard the younger driver's in my building say in not so many words that they want to strike to teach the company and management a lesson for how they are treated.

Want to teach the company and management a lesson by becoming a by the book driver or holding the company to the contract then great. I'll work tirelessly to help you do it.

Want to teach the company and management a lesson by rooting for a strike just because you want to see them suffer... well then you might want to read my signature.

I would hope most on here know me well enough to know that I'll fight the company and stand with my brothers and sisters all day everyday but there seems to be a growing faction in our ranks that want to just stick it to the company because it will make them feel better and that's dangerous.

I was not around in 97 but hearing from people on here and at my work. The strike didn't make the company or management leary of how they treat us. It made them worse. We want better working conditions then it's something we need to propose, fight for and make sure our leadership knows it's a :censored2:ing must that we are not willing to overlook.

Anyways it's been a long day and I really don't know how to end this rant because I can't seem to put all my thoughts together. I'll just end it with I'm not afraid to strike I'm just afraid we're going to do it for the wrong reasons and many will suffer greatly for it.