CEO Carol Tomé was an outsider hired to whip UPS into shape for the age of e-commerce. Some insiders and lifers worry she’s killing the company.

Off the leash

If UPS employees just viewed their jobs as a means to an end and laughed all the way to the bank , they would be much happier.

It took me about 15 years in to understand this. An old timer explained it to me and after that I was much happier the last 7-8 years of my career.

No matter how bad you think this job is , it's much better than most ( most ) of the non union jobs out there.
Took me 5 years

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I am of the opinion The Company is making things horrible to force a strike in 2023,and replace everyone with PVD's. Service would take a hit at first but with so many drivers leveraged to their eyeballs if the strike lasted over a month many would be clamoring to cross the line ( if the company allowed them back)

I dont want to come across as Chicken Little but I truly feel the Union will be in a fight for its life next contract and I hope The membership is ready for a rough nasty fight

I am of the opinion The Company is making things horrible to force a strike in 2023,and replace everyone with PVD's. Service would take a hit at first but with so many drivers leveraged to their eyeballs if the strike lasted over a month many would be clamoring to cross the line ( if the company allowed them back)

I dont want to come across as Chicken Little but I truly feel the Union will be in a fight for its life next contract and I hope The membership is ready for a rough nasty fight
Well maybe that's why the teams are going to pay strike benefits from day one instead of day seven or was a day eight I can't remember?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
PVD isnt just some crazy logistic idea.. Its a strategy... Since i dont belong to a "local", what happens if you decide to not strike with them? I'm curious. The term union doesnt flow well around my part because we all know the true meaning behind the teamsters. Their legacy doesnt float well with most.
There job is to keep ups in check otherwise we’d have lost our pension and be paying for our insurance and have our pay cut Do I need to go on
Any of that sound familiar?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

This has been said for almost every contract since 97. but I think you are right. the company is spoiling for a fight this time and this time they will win. too much apathy.

moldsporh

Someone who was in charge of a retail chain with climate control, is now trying to run a service chain with workers in the elements.

Hey Carol, your boots on the ground and your customer are all you have. There's no line of people waiting outside 5 min before the store opens to buy a drill or some hanging plants.

When your management team treats grown adults like they are in a daycare, your service can suffer due to over-supervision.

We don't need to be told 20 times a week that we spent "2 extra min at a few stops" while we refilled our water jug and grabbed some ice to help deal with the sweltering heat outside, while our vehicles are 20+ deg warmer inside.

They really like to exploit the telematics and show us how we are "secretly riding the clock" when doing this.

What about the single customers that have been loyal? You seem to care about the larger customers and not the mom and pop stores....you know, the ones that likely shop at a home improvement store

Take a look around, and see who and what really profits the company, don't look into the pandemic boost to much, you need to focus on ALL the customers and your employees.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
PVD isnt just some crazy logistic idea.. Its a strategy... Since i dont belong to a "local", what happens if you decide to not strike with them? I'm curious. The term union doesnt flow well around my part because we all know the true meaning behind the teamsters. Their legacy doesnt float well with most.
You know what else you can suck @DiadesSuk ? My Schweenus! What’s the true meaning of Teamsters? Enlighten me!

You don't cross a picket line.
And if you do you'll be shunned by your co-workers for the rest of your career and management will never respect you because they know you're a big giant friend* pusillanimous

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
So you think that I don't know much about the PVD "strategy"?
I don't think you know much about PVDs and their "right" to strike.
SMH

What a joke.

Thankfully we have a strong union or we wouldn't have:
FREE HEALTHCARE.....how about your plan(s). Yep they suck compared to our TEAMSTER negotiated plans.

7 WEEKS OF PAID VACATION PLUS 2 DAYS. How about you buddy? I didn't think so.

5 YRS OF PAID DISABILITY....AFTER 6 MONTHS IT'S $3425/MONTH. How about you? Didn't think so.

IN 24 MONTHS DRIVERS BASE PAY WILL BE OVER $80,000 ANNUALLY. ADD OVER TIME AND PENSION EASILY MAKING IT OVER $100,000 ANNUALLY....so figure your hourly rate and the fact that we punch out but you have to leave your phone on 24/7.

Where's your job protection? We've seen dozens of you puppets come and truly go.

Oh, did I mention pension. Sorry about that.

Degrading the Teamsters union won't make your pay and bennies look any better.

The PVDs will strike as soon as you're able to. Wake up.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Admirable. Welp, if yall decide to strike, best of luck to yall lol.. Its a rough economy out there. If I recall correctly, some of the older guys from Corp said they moved over to the warehouses to fill in back in 97. Id assume that would be the case again. Then UPS would send out emails to those 50k PVD's that were used over the last 2 years and be back up and running in 24 hours. UPS logistics might slow down some but I doubt itll cripple it.
You're delusional....at best.
It will not only cripple the company but when Worldport goes dark you'll be screwed.
Wake up scab, the air is late by almost 1-2 hours coming out of LouKy now with only vacations happening and when the IPA refuses to cross the lines the older guys in Corp better get the rickshaws out.

Stupid is as stupid posts.

It will not only cripple the company but when Worldport goes dark you'll be screwed.
Wake up scab, the air is late by almost 1-2 hours coming out of LouKy now with only vacations happening and when the IPA refuses to cross the lines the older guys in Corp better get the rickshaws out.

You better be careful son they might install map navs in a PVD driver's cars.....

Off the leash

Pay him no mind he’s a company troll

How many PVDs would it take to deliver .... And pick up...all the bulk stops you make on a metro route?
Or a 20 tuxedo return pickup from the mall?
And then the power goes out at 6:30 am with no generator.
Fun times for non union puppets.
Honestly it would take a lot for a strike to happen.

You do know UPS delivers about 6% of the United States GDP and about 3% of the world's GDP.

Both sides of his posturing positions right now.

542thruNthru

Admirable. Welp, if yall decide to strike, best of luck to yall lol.. Its a rough economy out there. If I recall correctly, some of the older guys from Corp said they moved over to the warehouses to fill in back in 97. Id assume that would be the case again. Then UPS would send out emails to those 50k PVD's that were used over the last 2 years and be back up and running in 24 hours. UPS logistics might slow down some but I doubt itll cripple it.
Lol now I see why Carol is cutting IT. You think all you need to worry about it's delivering packages.

How about loading and unloading them. Trucks, trains, planes all need to be unloaded, sorted and loaded into a PVDs car.

UPS will not be up and running in 24 hours. Will PVDs hurt our strike? Absolutely but UPS will suffer greatly and no I don't believe our strike would cripple UPS. We will all suffer from a strike.

Also if you're a team player then stop bitching like a little girl about how you might have to go back to the office and deal with traffic and miss your little one growing up. Man the friend up and be a team player.

Off the leash

Lol now I see why Carol is cutting IT. You think all you need to worry about it's delivering packages.

How about loading and unloading them. Trucks, trains, planes all need to be unloaded, sorted and loaded into a PVDs car.

UPS will not be up and running in 24 hours. Will PVDs hurt our strike? Absolutely but UPS will suffer greatly and no I don't believe our strike would cripple UPS. We will all suffer from a strike.

Also if you're a team player then stop bitching like a little girl about how you might have to go back to the office and deal with traffic and miss your little one growing up. Man the friend up and be a team player.
Man I been dying to say that

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Honestly it would take a lot for a strike to happen.

You do know UPS delivers about 6% of the United States GDP and about 3% of the world's GDP.

Both sides of his posturing positions right now.
Yeah and would geriatric Joe allow it since we're essential?
Probably not.

How would hunter get the next fix?