Charged with accident for hitting dog

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
A couple of years ago, a driver in my center was charged for hitting a dog in the street. When it was discussed at PCM, I said, "If you are going to charge him with a crash, expect that sometime in the future you will be going to the scene of a crash with a dead driver. You will not be able to figure out why he/she crashed, but it will be because he/she tried to avoid a dog. This is total bulls." and I walked to my car to start the day.

The driver fought the warning letter and used my words exactly. He won the grievance and we have not been charged for hitting a dog or cat on the street since. I can feel my blood starting to boil just thinking about that day.

On someone's property is a whole nother story. Hard to argue those.
This is exact situation I'm in. Being charged for an avoidable accident for a dog running into street. Any idea what article he filed under or how i should handle this?

Xexys

Retired and Happy
And what if that was a kid instead of a dog?

Like a kid can run that fast. In a later post you infer that I was speeding up the drive. What makes you think I was speeding?

I sheet it up as undeliverable, call the number on the package to tell them about there dog. A lot of the time they'll come down and meet you or tell you to leave it by the mail box. Just tell them, your dog bites at my tires and I'm afraid he's going to get run over. Then try to set up a deal where you can leave it by there mail box. Once they give you permission its a done deal. Just tell your sup that they gave you permissible to do so, so you cover your butt on the D.R.

I know you carry dog treats...and a electric dog whistle in your pocket works better then you think. It's painful to there ears and stops them from charging enough time to slowly back to your truck. Pick one up at a pet store.

But if you have a house with a long driveway who's dog bites your tires or a dangerous dog, you have to get in contact with them. Just explain, when your dog is out you don't get your package. You have 3 tires, then you come pick it up. And personally call them, not the clerk cause they don't care.

Nowhere in my post did I state what year this was. What makes you think I had a phone? Even if I did have a phone, I would never call the customer on my personal phone. "Dog in yard" only works for awhile, at some point you have to deliver the package. I did tell the woman of the house about her dog, she ignored me and in so many words told me she hated the dog. I guess I did her a favor.

You completely blew past the part where I stated that my supervisor made the owner build a box at the end of the driveway. Obviously, you've never delivered on a rural route that has driveways on hills, or the driveways are 1/2 mile long.

I had been bitten multiple times when I delivered but yet never took the owners to court. In the state that I delivered, it was an automatic $1,400.00 for a dog bite whether you went to the hospital or not.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I always looked at it like this. If it doesn't have a license plate on it's arse, it doesn't belong in the street, and is fair game. I would never intentionally run over a dog, but nor would I run off the road and run over a mailbox to avoid one, either. Once a driver in my center parked in front of a house, jumped out over his seat to deliver a small package and when he did, he brushed against some kind of plant that mr yard of the month had growing. The little limb broke off, the customer called and complained, and the center manager said if the man's plant died, they were going to charge the driver with an accident. That's crazy talk.

Packmule

My take is of they give you the " it could have been a kid" routine, it means they can't give you a ligitimate answer as to how it could have been avoided. And as for speeding, I once had a lab belly crawl under the truck when I was crawling out of a rural driveway at three mph. Telematics clocked it. Got charged just because I was on private property.
In our building we are supposed to keep reporting a risk problem to law enforcement and management until problem is solved. Doesn't work. Stupid people will not care about ups problems til the dog gets hit.
Big reason why I put in a proposal during contract meetings that no driver can be charged with an accident involving an animal unless gross recklessness can be shown.
Instead we got another raise. Who the hell cares what the hourly rate is if you can't stay employed due to BS policies.

oldngray

nowhere special
Whether drivers get charged for hitting a dog varies from place to place and even varies in the same center over time. I saw drivers charged for hitting a dog in street but latest interpretation was only charged if in a customer's driveway.

Ron Carey lives on

First write a statement about the incident, disputing the charge, use words like " beyond your control " ON YOUR OWN TIME take a picture of the state route or city street where the dog ran out. Make sure your ba, steward,and center manager have copies of letter and picture. If it escalates grieve. Ultimately the center manager made his numbers look bad by charging you with such foolishness. We can't control animals, weather, aka " acts of God". Keep your cool it will go away

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

Had at least two drivers kill dogs with their diad boards while they were being attacked. They are still working and doing fine. Thats the way we roll

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ouch

They tried that here with a driver that hit a dog in the street. My argument was their is a statewide leash law here and the dog by law was suppose to be on a leash. Got the driver out of the write up and he was not charged with hitting the dog.

NW.Hunter

A few years back it was explained to us that if you smack a dog on the road you won't be charged with an accident, but if you are on the dog owners property then you will be charged with an accident.

Sent using BrownCafe App