Chased my ego, now slightly regretting my decision.

caravan42

I understand most of you will read this and think, "what's wrong with this guy?" You don't need to understand really, I'm just venting my feelings here because you folks here are delivery driver family, and some of you just "get it". I started with express in 04 as a casual handler, moved up to full time courier a couple years later, and quit for good last January. Let me explain. I loved that job, I took so much pride driving in driving my 900 backing up to dock doors and getting everything done on time. Yes I was aware of the pitfalls of the company, and I was not an ass kisser either, I knew how to play the game quite well. Despite all the bad things about fedex, that job was just me. I loved most of people I worked with, they were my family. Now time for the ego problem. My ego got the best of me and I figured if I had a better title people would respect me more. I went for manager, wasn't for me. I tried to start my own business, yeah right, definitely not for me. Meanwhile, I knew courier was the job for me. After several years of letting my ego drag me around, I took up flying lessons 6 years ago, while working a full time route. 6 years later I'm sitting with 1700 flight hours and a cfii, mei,agi rating. I just got hired flying the little single engine Cessna feeder plane I'm sure most of you have seen at one time or another.
That sounds great right? I'm happy, flying was my dream since a young kid, well it was flying and truck driver actually. Although I'm happy, I'm also depressed because I miss that job and the energy that went with it. I'm so damn tired now all the time. I think about my friends there and the memories of running my route as I go to bed, and usually have dreams about fedex. Again, I know you guys are of the mindset that fedex sucks, and how could I miss this place, but I do. Not sure what to think anymore about my decision, guess it's a done deal. Flight training cost me a lot of money, that's for sure.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I understand most of you will read this and think, "what's wrong with this guy?" You don't need to understand really, I'm just venting my feelings here because you folks here are delivery driver family, and some of you just "get it". I started with express in 04 as a casual handler, moved up to full time courier a couple years later, and quit for good last January. Let me explain. I loved that job, I took so much pride driving in driving my 900 backing up to dock doors and getting everything done on time. Yes I was aware of the pitfalls of the company, and I was not an ass kisser either, I knew how to play the game quite well. Despite all the bad things about fedex, that job was just me. I loved most of people I worked with, they were my family. Now time for the ego problem. My ego got the best of me and I figured if I had a better title people would respect me more. I went for manager, wasn't for me. I tried to start my own business, yeah right, definitely not for me. Meanwhile, I knew courier was the job for me. After several years of letting my ego drag me around, I took up flying lessons 6 years ago, while working a full time route. 6 years later I'm sitting with 1700 flight hours and a cfii, mei,agi rating. I just got hired flying the little single engine Cessna feeder plane I'm sure most of you have seen at one time or another.
That sounds great right? I'm happy, flying was my dream since a young kid, well it was flying and truck driver actually. Although I'm happy, I'm also depressed because I miss that job and the energy that went with it. I'm so damn tired now all the time. I think about my friends there and the memories of running my route as I go to bed, and usually have dreams about fedex. Again, I know you guys are of the mindset that fedex sucks, and how could I miss this place, but I do. Not sure what to think anymore about my decision, guess it's a done deal. Flight training cost me a lot of money, that's for sure.

Are the hours better? Is the pay better? Are you happy flying instead of driving? If you answered yes, then you made the right choice. Some places 1700 hrs will get you in a right seat for a regional outfit. At one time, I was working on getting rotorcraft but that was another life and I digress...Good luck out there and congrats on your new gig.

vantexan

I always loved the work but as I got older it stopped loving me. If you were driving a 900 you probably handled a lot of boxes. That takes a toll over time so you were smart to get something less physical. I have a feeling my aches and pains will linger long after I retire. We all remember how we were at our best but for most the physical ability fades.

By The Book

What I hear is you are a person that is driven and wants to improve and learn. I think that you have done that and shouldn't feel guilty about your decision. In a few years I think you would have become frustrated doing a job that didn't have a lot of upside. Find a way to accept the good in your decision even though it may be a job without as much personal contact with the public. Write down on paper all the positives of your new job and then write down the negatives. If you find more positives for your future, you made the right decision. Good on you!

caravan42

Are the hours better? Is the pay better? Are you happy flying instead of driving? If you answered yes, then you made the right choice. Some places 1700 hrs will get you in a right seat for a regional outfit. At one time, I was working on getting rotorcraft but that was another life and I digress...Good luck out there and congrats on your new gig.
Thanks for your reply. Hours better? Not really, just think courier hours and flying is the same. 5:30 am depart and 5:30 pm land. I still love that part though, when all the planes leave at the same time and come home the same time too, just like the trucks. Pay better? It's a tad better, but not much. I love flying so I think I made the right choice, I should still feel that surge of adrenaline after the sort is down, plane is loaded, and it's time to blast off and get it done. Regionals, I've never really been interested in airline type work, I've been bitten by the freight bug, and it keeps biting.

caravan42

I always loved the work but as I got older it stopped loving me. If you were driving a 900 you probably handled a lot of boxes. That takes a toll over time so you were smart to get something less physical. I have a feeling my aches and pains will linger long after I retire. We all remember how we were at our best but for most the physical ability fades.
Lots of boxes! They said my route was a pup route with some deliveries sprinkled in between. My aches in my knees let up, but my energy level is zero!

caravan42

What I hear is you are a person that is driven and wants to improve and learn. I think that you have done that and shouldn't feel guilty about your decision. In a few years I think you would have become frustrated doing a job that didn't have a lot of upside. Find a way to accept the good in your decision even though it may be a job without as much personal contact with the public. Write down on paper all the positives of your new job and then write down the negatives. If you find more positives for your future, you made the right decision. Good on you!
Awesome, thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I am going to write those pros down. I'm excited because I'll still see my old work crew, along with my old managers, they were absolutely awesome people.

bacha29

Awesome, thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I am going to write those pros down. I'm excited because I'll still see my old work crew, along with my old managers, they were absolutely awesome people.
Look if you miss lugging 100+ lb "boulder in a box" or motor freight stolen off the LTL's just look up your friendly neighborhood Fedex ISP contractor. Here's what's nice about it. Whether you work 8 hours in a day or 13 hours it all pays the same giving you the opportunity to do what you love best not only all day long but half the night as well. After taxes you might have 90 bucks and you don't need to worry about benefits because I'm sure that your spouse's employer wouldn't mind covering you as well. And when you're awake all night with crushing pain in your knees, back and hip joints from the on setting rheumatoid arthritis think of the late night television you can enjoy watching. But don't worry. They perform 1.6 million joint replacements in this country alone every year and that number will double by 2020. And let me tell you a little secret. Hospitals absolutely LOVE doing joint replacements. Why? Not as much risk as there used to be and they are very profitable.

caravan42

Thanks, I'll start walking. When I was a courier I used to do triathlons, I would use my lunch breaks for laps in the pool. Now I can barely walk half a mile, so that's the main reason I'm upset with myself. I went from athlete to sloth.