Chickens (and Broken Equipment) Come Home to Roost

falcon back

At my station, if we wrote something up, the mechanics would write “part ordered” and would do nothing. If we wrote it up again, they’d write “part ordered” again and do nothing. After the third or fourth time, they’d go to the manager who would then tell us to stop writing it up. After about three or four cycles of this, they’d finally pull the vehicle.
You are such a dick the mechanic probably just ignored your writeups. Buy the mechanic a donut every now and then and watch your truck go to the front of the line.

bacha29

You are such a dick the mechanic probably just ignored your writeups. Buy the mechanic a donut every now and then and watch your truck go to the front of the line.
That along with the many other pleasurable experiences you've performed and provided and they were not limited to garage mechanics.

falcon back

The courier is not going to write up what he doesn't know exists. He'll write up what he can see standing up but Is he going to crawl under it and look for cracked spring leaves, leaking brake seals, worn cable linkage, worn idlers ,cracked belts and hoses etc, etc? Of course not. He'll do a quick look around to see if the lights, horn and wipers work. But that's about it.

BTW. It's quite obvious that you have undergone the same brain washing and blind allegiance Old Falcon Fart demonstrates repeatedly.
The op had no defrost. That would have been found on a basic pretrip.
Not sure crawling under the van is necessary for that. Maybe you crawled under the van to check the oil as well.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The courier is not going to write up what he doesn't know exists. He'll write up what he can see standing up but Is he going to crawl under it and look for cracked spring leaves, leaking brake seals, worn cable linkage, worn idlers ,cracked belts and hoses etc, etc? Of course not. He'll do a quick look around to see if the lights, horn and wipers work. But that's about it.

BTW. It's quite obvious that you have undergone the same brain washing and blind allegiance Old Falcon Fart demonstrates repeatedly.
FYI, in all my years I’ve never knowingly had any of those things go out on a truck. It’s not our job to look at all those things, so no, we’re not going to crawl under a truck. All I know is if my truck does something strange or makes a strange noise, I describe it to the mechanic and he fixes it. That simple.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
At my station, if we wrote something up, the mechanics would write “part ordered” and would do nothing. If we wrote it up again, they’d write “part ordered” again and do nothing. After the third or fourth time, they’d go to the manager who would then tell us to stop writing it up. After about three or four cycles of this, they’d finally pull the vehicle.
Were you writing the problem up every day? If so, that’s probably why he went to a Mgr. If it’s nothing important, I’ll usually wait a week or so or ask the mechanic himself. Safety problems, obviously every day.

It will be fine

FYI, in all my years I’ve never knowingly had any of those things go out on a truck. It’s not our job to look at all those things, so no, we’re not going to crawl under a truck. All I know is if my truck does something strange or makes a strange noise, I describe it to the mechanic and he fixes it. That simple.
Are you saying you don’t jack up the front end to check for play in the king pins? What type of half assed Pre-trip are you doing?!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

You obviously are ignorant of the correct way to do a pre-trip.

bacha29

Right, it's the obvious stuff you see that you write up but they don't tell the whole story about the TOTAL overall condition of the vehicle. And more often than not it's what you don't see that leaves you stranded out in the middle of nowhere and no cell phone service.

And it's for that reason that the so called pre and post trip inspection barely scratches the surface when it comes to the true road worthiness of the unit.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Actually, the pre-trip is more important than many realize. One courier killed another driver when his brakes failed at an intersection before he’d even reached his first stop. He swore he’d pretripped. They drove him back to the station and checked his truck slot. There was a puddle of brake fluid where it had been parked.

He was charged with negligent manslaughter.

Humorous, right?

AB831

Were you writing the problem up every day? If so, that’s probably why he went to a Mgr. If it’s nothing important, I’ll usually wait a week or so or ask the mechanic himself. Safety problems, obviously every day.
For minor things like the camera being out, no, but for major thing like it falling out of second gear, yes, They finally fixed it after the transmission failed and the tow truck had to come get me on route.

MassWineGuy

I never dreamed that my post could generate such varied and (very) occasionally cogent, statements.

What I care about re: vehicles

- Both headlights work.
- Turn signals work.
- Transmission works well.
- Ventilation fans function.
- Oil level good.
- All doors lock, unlock and open.
- Steering tracks straight.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I never dreamed that my post could generate such varied and (very) occasionally cogent, statements.

What I care about re: vehicles

- Both headlights work.
- Turn signals work.
- Transmission works well.
- Ventilation fans function.
- Oil level good.
- All doors lock, unlock and open.
- Steering tracks straight.
Don’t forget the cup holders! Lol.