Class action lawsuit pertaining to not being able to take 10 minute breaks

Star B

White Lightening
I agree that anything that can be done via the PPAD should be, but making a federal case out of using your cell phone? Weak.
The harder upper turns the screws on the rank and file, the harder the rank and file are going to attempt to turn the screws on upper management.

If you trust your workforce and show your workforce that they can trust you, then they will go the extra mile. It's the basis of the real People-Service-Profit, not the fake Profit-Sales-Profit that has engulfed the company. The issue is that with all the extra technology and crap that's being shoved down our throats is showing us that they don't trust us.

I deleted a whole rant on technology, so, I'm trying to keep it on topic. :-)

Mutineer

The lesson is that employees can't necessarily sue their employer for treating them like crap and making them angry.

But that is what very often creates the motivation for employees to sue for just about every OTHER nit-picking thing that can be imagined.

bacha29

The harder upper turns the screws on the rank and file, the harder the rank and file are going to attempt to turn the screws on upper management.

If you trust your workforce and show your workforce that they can trust you, then they will go the extra mile. It's the basis of the real People-Service-Profit, not the fake Profit-Sales-Profit that has engulfed the company. The issue is that with all the extra technology and crap that's being shoved down our throats is showing us that they don't trust us.

It would appear that there is a growing belief on the part of management that you the slab in the cab the meat in the seat do not have a sufficient level of raw intelligence needed to generate the type of route governance they want As a result they now believe that it is necessary to establish and maintain the ever increasing level of surveillance of driver. A person gets tired of it after awhile and in keeping with human nature look for every opportunity to inflict some hurt in return no matter how low the odds of success may be.

!Retired!

There was a time I would do almost anything for FedEx. Back then, employees wouldn't care if they did something off the clock for a few minutes (company wouldn't care either), work through your lunch (no big deal), answer if your manager called on your day off, etc etc. Now I'm not saying doing those things was right, but I (we) didn't care, it was just something we did. A HUGE portion of the policies put in place in the last 10-15 years was due to lawsuits. Managers got arrogant, thinking they can 'get away' with anything and newer couriers got soft. Now we all pay for it.

Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson is an English business magnate, investor, author and philanthropist. He founded the Virgin Group, which controls more than 400 companies.
Net worth $4.9B an his employees love him and love working for him.
Fred S and FedEx used to be that way.
rb.jpg

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A HUGE portion of the policies put in place in the last 10-15 years was due to lawsuits. Managers got arrogant, thinking they can 'get away' with anything and newer couriers got soft. Now we all pay for it.

"We need all these changes!!"

Changes are made.

"Things were better back in the good ol' days!"

!Retired!

"We need all these changes!!"

Changes are made.

"Things were better back in the good ol' days!"
Better back then? I don't know....just different. I don't disagree with some of the changes/policies, but it's just going a bit overboard. Now there's a rumor that driver and front facing cameras will be installed. Mind you, it's just a rumor. Will it happen? Who knows? But, if it's true, it might just push the more senior people over to retirement......and that would not be good. I have 'trained' quite a few new-hires and, though not all, am amazed how few have a clue what we really do.

I would love to have some of the more senior people sit down with upper management and have them REALLY listen. But, in my years, I know I would be pointless (think SFA).

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Post of the week.

What was the screw in this case? "Make service"?
Post of the weak.

Star B

White Lightening
Screws can be anything. Attitude from management, false lies/false promises, pressure, anything. I'm not asking for a safe space and a comfort blanket, but I love a day where management/engineering starts managing routes from the real world vs their "numbers" and trying to save profit. Too many times all of our SRA loops are left with trying to figure out the excessive amount of freight by ourselves. Management keeps cutting the extra SRA routes that engineering says we need "Oh, we won't need it, those numbers must be wrong", which was heard from the SM's mouth during a late plane meeting.

Add to that a lack of trucks that we were promised a solution for earlier in the year but never materialized. Also, I've heard wind about a new metric of minimum OLCCs per week and couriers on the east coast getting OLCCs for one late, even if they were not preventable due to traffic. Yes, OLCCs aren't "discipline" but I count anything that's written as potential discipline because it's got my name, an negative issue, and my managers name on it recorded on it for the rest of my employment. That's the kind of :censored2: that causes your workforce to get jaded.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Also, I've heard wind about a new metric of minimum OLCCs per week and couriers on the east coast getting OLCCs for one late, even if they were not preventable due to traffic. Yes, OLCCs aren't "discipline" but I count anything that's written as potential discipline because it's got my name, an negative issue, and my managers name on it recorded on it for the rest of my employment. That's the kind of :censored2: that causes your workforce to get jaded.
OLCC's are for both positive and negative observations, in theory.

In practice, you will see 1 positive for every 99 negatives.

That's the reality of the limited mentality of managers.

That's why OLCC's are resented by couriers. That, and the fact they can't be GFT'd.

They become an intimidation technique that resolves little, if anything.

59 Dano

Show us in that post where he mentioned service. Otherwise it’s just something else you pulled straight out of your ass.

He never mentioned service and I never claimed he did. The fact that I ended the post with a question mark should have been your first clue that I was asking a question instead of making a statement.

59 Dano

Better back then? I don't know....just different. I don't disagree with some of the changes/policies, but it's just going a bit overboard. Now there's a rumor that driver and front facing cameras will be installed. Mind you, it's just a rumor. Will it happen? Who knows? But, if it's true, it might just push the more senior people over to retirement......and that would not be good. I have 'trained' quite a few new-hires and, though not all, am amazed how few have a clue what we really do.

I would love to have some of the more senior people sit down with upper management and have them REALLY listen. But, in my years, I know I would be pointless (think SFA).

Agree with the sentiment of the post, but what is the senior argument against those cameras? They could be invaluable when investigating accidents.

59 Dano

Screws can be anything. Attitude from management, false lies/false promises, pressure, anything. I'm not asking for a safe space and a comfort blanket, but I love a day where management/engineering starts managing routes from the real world vs their "numbers" and trying to save profit. Too many times all of our SRA loops are left with trying to figure out the excessive amount of freight by ourselves. Management keeps cutting the extra SRA routes that engineering says we need "Oh, we won't need it, those numbers must be wrong", which was heard from the SM's mouth during a late plane meeting.

Why would you worry about it? If I'm a courier in that situation, I take what I'm supposed to take, go, and do the best I can. In that situation I'm not responsible for staffing issues of the problems created by them. It's not a courier's obligation to mad a bad decision look good.

Add to that a lack of trucks that we were promised a solution for earlier in the year but never materialized. Also, I've heard wind about a new metric of minimum OLCCs per week and couriers on the east coast getting OLCCs for one late, even if they were not preventable due to traffic. Yes, OLCCs aren't "discipline" but I count anything that's written as potential discipline because it's got my name, an negative issue, and my managers name on it recorded on it for the rest of my employment. That's the kind of :censored2: that causes your workforce to get jaded.

If people want to get their panties in a bunch over OLCCs, that's on them.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
He never mentioned service and I never claimed he did. The fact that I ended the post with a question mark should have been your first clue that I was asking a question instead of making a statement.
You brought the word service into the equasion now you’re in some sort of weird denial. Understandable maybe since you and your bunch have no idea what real service is.

!Retired!

Agree with the sentiment of the post, but what is the senior argument against those cameras? They could be invaluable when investigating accidents.
It's not the cameras alone. It's everything combined. ROADS, micromanaging, etc. Now, it's my understanding in January (after PEAK thankfully), new power-pads are coming out that will give you turn by turn to your next stop and there's no way around it. You're going to have a computer tell a courier who's been on their route for 5/10/15 years how to run it? We have a running joke 'If you want extra hours, follow DRA'. I have LOTS of questions about how this will work with on-calls, customer requesting reattempts, road closures, dead-ends etc.

I understand the front facing cameras, but some might find an interior facing camera invasive. If I wanted someone 'looking over my shoulder', I'd be a CSA.