Class action lawsuit pertaining to not being able to take 10 minute breaks

It will be fine

It's not the cameras alone. It's everything combined. ROADS, micromanaging, etc. Now, it's my understanding in January (after PEAK thankfully), new power-pads are coming out that will give you turn by turn to your next stop and there's no way around it. You're going to have a computer tell a courier who's been on their route for 5/10/15 years how to run it? We have a running joke 'If you want extra hours, follow DRA'. I have LOTS of questions about how this will work with on-calls, customer requesting reattempts, road closures, dead-ends etc.

I understand the front facing cameras, but some might find an interior facing camera invasive. If I wanted someone 'looking over my shoulder', I'd be a CSA.
Cameras are basically industry standard at this point. They’ll be in just about every commercial truck within 5 years. No one has time to watch drivers all day. It’s only used if something happens which shouldn’t be an issue if you’re doing what you should be doing.

MAKAVELI

It will be fine

Driver facing cameras are a double edge sword and many companies are thinking twice before installing one.
Why fuller truck view trumps driver-facing cam for PeopleNet video
They aren’t double edged if implemented properly. If you use the video to coach your drivers and document it well there is no increased liability. If you keep video of your drivers behaving in an unsafe manner and have nothing to show you’re addressing it then you’re in trouble.

MAKAVELI

They aren’t double edged if implemented properly. If you use the video to coach your drivers and document it well there is no increased liability. If you keep video of your drivers behaving in an unsafe manner and have nothing to show you’re addressing it then you’re in trouble.
"If"
As the article stated. They simply aren't needed to determine if a driver is a safe driver. Just adding a layer of liability to the owner.

It will be fine

"If"
As the article stated. They simply aren't needed to determine if a driver is a safe driver. Just adding a layer of liability to the owner.
That’s not what the article says. It said one carrier used video to exonerate their drivers and didn’t need the driver facing camera. It said nothing of the usefulness of driver facing cameras as a coaching tool to improve driver behavior.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It's not the cameras alone. It's everything combined. ROADS, micromanaging, etc. Now, it's my understanding in January (after PEAK thankfully), new power-pads are coming out that will give you turn by turn to your next stop and there's no way around it. You're going to have a computer tell a courier who's been on their route for 5/10/15 years how to run it?

"I followed this new thing to the letter, as you wanted me to. Here's where it really works well. Here's where it stinks. Do you want me to follow it to the letter where it stinks or do you want me to break from it?"

As for the 5/10/15 aspect of it, well, Leahy's Law.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
"If"

It's not a layer of liability. It's a potential layer of potential liability in a theoretical sense in a very limited set of circumstances. As in, it's never been an issue and the the planets would have to line up juuuuuuuust right before it ever could.

!Retired!

"I followed this new thing to the letter, as you wanted me to. Here's where it really works well. Here's where it stinks. Do you want me to follow it to the letter where it stinks or do you want me to break from it?"

As for the 5/10/15 aspect of it, well, Leahy's Law.
As with quite a few policies, I understand them.....doesn't mean I like them. The camera might just push someone contemplating retirement over the edge. That's all I meant to say.

It will be fine

As with quite a few policies, I understand them.....doesn't mean I like them. The camera might just push someone contemplating retirement over the edge. That's all I meant to say.
If someone is afraid to drive with a camera on them they shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle.

MAKAVELI

You should have to expectation of privacy while at work and I don’t trust any of my employees more than I have to.
Yes, that is one reason most drivers like this job. No manager looking over our shoulder. They now have gps in our trucks and powerpads. I can understand the forward facing cameras but driver facing would be a deal breaker for many when turnover has been high for quite some time. I just think it would be a dumb move on the company's part