Clear times

SmithBarney

Can someone please explain what it means to "clear"? Is this your PM routine before punching out?

Basically before you leave your area(after your last stop) you "request to clear" essentially telling dispatch you are done, and they verify there is no other work in the area for you(pickups etc) then they "clear" I think it is a airline term... we are "Cleared for Landing"

whenIgetthere

Basically before you leave your area(after your last stop) you "request to clear" essentially telling dispatch you are done, and they verify there is no other work in the area for you(pickups etc) then they "clear" I think it is a airline term... we are "Cleared for Landing"

Hence the RLA classification! LMAO

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Just make sure you document your safety concerns with management.
Despite what Dano says, OSHA laughs at nothing.
Once a station gets a visit from the Feds, this "threat" scheme will end.

Remember the domino's driver that killed someone?
Don't let Dano and management humiliate you, this is clearly a legal fine line they are walking .

Then by all means go ahead with it.

When OSHA asks you what unsafe acts your employer is forcing you to do, you can tell OSHA, "They tell us to hurry up." I bet they fine FedEx a bazillion dollars for that.

59 Dano

Here you are! When your clear time hits, you should be finished with all of your deliveries. If you aren't, you are to return to the station anyway and code 01 the remaining packages. You and your manager get to explain why you didn't make your deliveries by the clear time. I think it starts on Tuesday in selected areas (maybe all of them). Less of a focus on service, more of a focus on productivity.

I've already heard from a few who are nervous. Coincidentally they are known to milk it from time to time.

Rhoderunner

Here you are! When your clear time hits, you should be finished with all of your deliveries. If you aren't, you are to return to the station anyway and code 01 the remaining packages. You and your manager get to explain why you didn't make your deliveries by the clear time. I think it starts on Tuesday in selected areas (maybe all of them). Less of a focus on service, more of a focus on productivity.
To quote a Seinfeld episode.."That's gold Jerry, GOLD ! " Unbelievable !!!!
Hmmmm, and who gets to explain to the customer why they didn't receive their package.

vantexan

I've already heard from a few who are nervous. Coincidentally they are known to milk it from time to time.

Engineer rode with me to "fix" our loop. Her conclusion? Loop really doesn't have a baseline and isn't fixable. Have to wonder what kind of clear goals they'll try to put on us. Haven't seen them in awhile but use to get those "this route will miss it's clear goal by..." messages. They were rarely even close to accurate. Will we have to wonder if we're going to lose our job because mgr refuses to believe clear goal isn't accurate?

Glorifiedpackmule

Engineer rode with me to "fix" our loop. Her conclusion? Loop really doesn't have a baseline and isn't fixable. Have to wonder what kind of clear goals they'll try to put on us. Haven't seen them in awhile but use to get those "this route will miss it's clear goal by..." messages. They were rarely even close to accurate. Will we have to wonder if we're going to lose our job because mgr refuses to believe clear goal isn't accurate?

I used to get those messages daily at 2:30pm "this route will miss goal clear time of 16:30 by 2 hours and 32 minutes" my last drop box didnt even open til 6:00pm.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx is also rolling out a new version of PSP. Its called PSC. Productivity Screw Customers. It's sure to be a hit.

They say service doesn't matter. Wait until some of those hospital deliveries or other vital shipments don't get delivered and make it into the media. That's where the payback hits home...big-time media coverage about how FedEx doesn't deliver on it's promises.

59 Dano

If your dispatcher is good and/or you are on his good side he would tell you what your clear time is. In these parts they do it for the guys running focus routes. You guys may not be in a region that will be doing this, but even if you are it sounds like you've got it covered.

59 Dano

They say service doesn't matter. Wait until some of those hospital deliveries or other vital shipments don't get delivered and make it into the media. That's where the payback hits home...big-time media coverage about how FedEx doesn't deliver on it's promises.

More wishful thinking?

No way this would work. First off, ROADS is nowhere NEAR accurate in either stop counts or "stop profiles" (which determines the amount of time you get at each stop). Unless the engineer goes in manually and adjusts every stop on every single route, this won't be close to being correct. As it is at our station, ROADS doesn't account for traffic on busy streets, whether you have 1 letter or 50 boxes at a stop, or how to properly place on-call pickups within your delivery cycle.

How the hell can they actually bring written discipline leading up to possible termination because a courier didn't meet some set of "random" goals set by a new system with obvious critical flaws? I think they are blowing smoke up us in hopes it scares some couriers to go faster and make the overall numbers look better. Pretty sure they know they would face some serious lawsuits if they were to actually fire people for not making goal, unless it is just blatantly obvious they are milking it.

The RTB times on ROADS are completely jacked up, with many people 20 minutes from the station being given only 5 minutes stem time back to the station. Engineers know this and have told us to ignore those times and that we should only focus on the time it says we should have our last stop made by. However, if ROADS is so incorrect on the stem time, what confidence can you have that it is somehow anymore accurate on determining all the other issues correctly and giving a truly accurate "clear" goal? In its infancy, ROADS doesn't have the capability of being extremely accurate and the higher ups know this. This becomes more evident if you end up being a baseline route in your loop. Since ROADS automatically fluctuates the routes in the loop to maximize and flow down, as a baseline you may be left some days with very little p1 or p2......however, there likely will have been a baseline route (routes starting with a "B") created that the baseline route in a loop is asked to take as well. Determining a clear goal in these instances is pretty much impossible.

newgirl

Dano must be a dispatcher.

We supposedly started this about a month ago, no one has been pulled yet. Believe it or not, a few of our managers give a darn and try to work with us. They still don't back us on a lot of things, but they aren't getting paid to think, either. As Memphis tries to eliminate the get-overs, they are screwing the rest of us, but the customers are innocent bystanders in all of this.

As usual, the majority suffers because they don't want to deal with the minority. Broad sweeping policy to try and eliminate the one or two people that aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing.

hypo hanna

If your dispatcher is good and/or you are on his good side he would tell you what your clear time is. In these parts they do it for the guys running focus routes. You guys may not be in a region that will be doing this, but even if you are it sounds like you've got it covered.

From the Sliding Clear Log? Those numbers roll up from the 280's and the stop counts entered by the drivers. Both inaccurate. (At least that's the case in my district.)
The focus route initiative is a joke. The routes the managers selected were mostly routes whos numbers were off and the managers knew it. They chose them because it wasn't going to require real management efforts to fix. It would be a quick stroke of the pen and presto, they look good to the higher ups.
Just about every focus route in my station is a driver that does go the extra mile helping customers and goes out of his area when asked to assist other routes. The five worst slackers are not on the list.