Clear times

Bailey4

I think the DOT would be interested in hearing from any driver that is pressured to drive unsafely. Or maybe it can just come out when some innocent person is killed.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
From the Sliding Clear Log? Those numbers roll up from the 280's and the stop counts entered by the drivers. Both inaccurate. (At least that's the case in my district.)

With the policy that's to begin this coming week in some (all?) areas, you're to send an updated stop count to dispatch at the end of the P1 cycle and dispatch is to let you know what your clear time is. If you realize your count is wrong, you are to send them a correction and they are to send you a corrected clear time.

The five worst slackers are not on the list.

Really? I was told by people on this very board that there are no slacker couriers!

59 Dano

I think the DOT would be interested in hearing from any driver that is pressured to drive unsafely. Or maybe it can just come out when some innocent person is killed.

Yes, the DOT would be very interested in that, as would OSHA.

Unless a manager tells you to operate your truck in an unsafe manner or to drive a truck that isn't fit for the road, they aren't going to do anything. "My manager is pressuring me to get my route finished quicker" might prompt them to call your manager to ask a couple of questions, but not much else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With the policy that's to begin this coming week in some (all?) areas, you're to send an updated stop count to dispatch at the end of the P1 cycle and dispatch is to let you know what your clear time is. If you realize your count is wrong, you are to send them a correction and they are to send you a corrected clear time.

We have a program called ODS-E which basically allows the center team to look inside our DIADs via their computers to see how many stops we have done and how many we have left (with a 15 minute delay). We send in our own ETAs but can be questioned if the work left on the car suggests an earlier ETA than the one given by the driver.

59 Dano

We have a program called ODS-E which basically allows the center team to look inside our DIADs via their computers to see how many stops we have done and how many we have left (with a 15 minute delay). We send in our own ETAs but can be questioned if the work left on the car suggests an earlier ETA than the one given by the driver.

Our system has couriers send a stop count when they sign on to dispatch and our stops are transmitted to the dispatch system as they are made (with some delays of varying lengths). The system figures up what time you should make your last stop. It's been my experience that it's pretty accurate so long as a route's goals aren't terribly wrong. In fact, most couriers never see the warning screen that pops up to warn them that they are going to miss their clear time.

whenIgetthere

Our system has couriers send a stop count when they sign on to dispatch and our stops are transmitted to the dispatch system as they are made (with some delays of varying lengths). The system figures up what time you should make your last stop. It's been my experience that it's pretty accurate so long as a route's goals aren't terribly wrong. In fact, most couriers never see the warning screen that pops up to warn them that they are going to miss their clear time.

I've seen that message once since I took over my current route 2 years ago, on my first day on the route.

Bailey4

Again, I think there might be more than a few questions. Dano, what is disturbing about your posts is that you seem to have little regard for safety of the employees , the customer or their service, or really ...an innocent bystander for that matter. Your only interest appears to be profit If you were really a rank and file frontline employee , you would realize the pressure Fedex puts an employee under every day with regard to speed affects all those I just listed. For the most part, the employees I know, go forth everyday trying to do the best job possible. There is no need to bully employees with arbitary numbers and times. By all means if you find someone blantanly goofing off, I have no issue with Fedex addressing that. Even, Fedex customers do not all have their head in the sand either and I have heard them comment that they think the pressure put on couriers for SPH is unsafe. I can't imagine others won't draw the same conclusion.

59 Dano

Again, I think there might be more than a few questions. Dano, what is disturbing about your posts is that you seem to have little regard for safety of the employees , the customer or their service, or really ...an innocent bystander for that matter. Your only interest appears to be profit

I have made it clear on multiple occasions that if you wouldn't do something on a check ride in front of your manager, you shouldn't do it at all. I don't know what you're talking about and I suspect that you don't, either.

If you were really a rank and file frontline employee , you would realize the pressure Fedex puts an employee under every day with regard to speed affects all those I just listed. For the most part, the employees I know, go forth everyday trying to do the best job possible. There is no need to bully employees with arbitary numbers and times.

I suggest --no, encourage-- anyone and everyone to keep as much documentation as they deem necessary to cover their butts in regards to questions about performance. I encourage employees to fill out and submit check ride request forms so that their managers can better set accurate goals. If the manager doesn't approve the request, I encourage employees to keep the copies that the manager gave back to them with the denial. Today I suggested that another poster run the reports that help cover his butt in his particular circumstance. The best cases against employees have strong documentation, and the best defense from an employee has strong documentation.

By all means if you find someone blantanly goofing off, I have no issue with Fedex addressing that. Even, Fedex customers do not all have their head in the sand either and I have heard them comment that they think the pressure put on couriers for SPH is unsafe. I can't imagine others won't draw the same conclusion.

I'm as interested in Sue from ACME Widget's opinion of Express operations as she is in my opinion of ACME's.

Bailey4

Sue from Acme. Now you are just talking to yourself. The more I read your posts Dano, the more you appear to be a low level manager or even an Aspire candidate. Let me clarify, many of your posts amount to the company is always right and the courier at fault. It might suprise you but employees at many other reputable companies..... do not have to stockpile tons of paper on a daily basis .....to prove they are doing a good job. And there is something wrong with the core of a company in which employees must do so ....just to keep their names clear from the next accusation. This is the scenario for the employees at this location and many others from the posts I read.

59 Dano

Sue from Acme. Now you are just talking to yourself. The more I read your posts Dano, the more you appear to be a low level manager or even an Aspire candidate. Let me clarify, many of your posts amount to the company is always right and the courier at fault.

Like when I tell people to not let a manager screw them over and point them directly to the documentation that they need to keep from getting screwed? Or when I quote from TPM or PBP?

How awful of me!

It might suprise you but employees at many other reputable companies..... do not have to stockpile tons of paper on a daily basis .....to prove they are doing a good job. And there is something wrong with the core of a company in which employees must do so ....just to keep their names clear from the next accusation. This is the scenario for the employees at this location and many others from the posts I read.

Most people at Express don't need that documentation. For those that do need it, I want them to know how to access it to protect themselves. Which, in your eyes, is me taking the company's side.

hypo hanna

Well on this, me and Dano agree. You should document everything. Keep hard copies. (at home). Put everything in writing and insist that management do the same.
Demand check rides if you feel that your numbers are not set correctly.
If you feel that you are being put in an unsafe situation, you need to write a letter stating so and make sure your manager signs it acknowledging reciept. Copy in the senior and your HR rep. Should you have an accident, remember your lawyer can subpoena all of your manager's files relating to you and your rt including messages to and from dispatch. (Contrary to what you might have been told, that information goes back much further then thirty days.)
You will get a reputation as a troublemaker, but it will also come with a reputation as a driver not to be screwed with.

yepyep

Dano ,I believe we have currently or in the past held the same position in the company. You think like I do or like I use to. You seem to see both sides of the fence.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Dano ,I believe we have currently or in the past held the same position in the company. You think like I do or like I use to. You seem to see both sides of the fence.[/

No, he can only see the side he is Paid to.
As for you, you must be either new,another memphis shill, or just plain insane (like f4l) to come up with that line

yepyep

I am fully vested and close to 5 weeks of vacation. That doesn't make me new . I have never been to the city of Memphis, and don't see myself going. Insane may be another issue. what I am NOT is a whiner who has such a hatred for his company they are miserable and makes everyone else miserable as well. This is my 5th position in this company. All with their peaks and pitts. I have seen ALL kinds of employees. I likely know your type more than you know mine. Just because there are people who don't detest their job or employer doesn't mean we agree with everything. Last time I checked this was a free society. You hate your job, find a new one. You would need skills besides being a courier 20+ years. So my guess is that the real resentments I see here are from old men who realize they wasted their youth never doing anything other than this . They are in every location.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I am fully vested and close to 5 weeks of vacation. That doesn't make me new . I have never been to the city of Memphis, and don't see myself going. Insane may be another issue. what I am NOT is a whiner who has such a hatred for his company they are miserable and makes everyone else miserable as well. This is my 5th position in this company. All with their peaks and pitts. I have seen ALL kinds of employees. I likely know your type more than you know mine. Just because there are people who don't detest their job or employer doesn't mean we agree with everything. Last time I checked this was a free society. You hate your job, find a new one. You would need skills besides being a courier 20+ years. So my guess is that the real resentments I see here are from old men who realize they wasted their youth never doing anything other than this . They are in every location.[/QUOTE

Ummmm....,
I meant new to this forum...

yepyep

I think I was just quiet. Now you probably know why. I said that because he talks like someone who has been in a position other than courier. Plus courier are the last to know anything. District chatter usually comes from another channel. Just my thought.

vantexan

I am fully vested and close to 5 weeks of vacation. That doesn't make me new . I have never been to the city of Memphis, and don't see myself going. Insane may be another issue. what I am NOT is a whiner who has such a hatred for his company they are miserable and makes everyone else miserable as well. This is my 5th position in this company. All with their peaks and pitts. I have seen ALL kinds of employees. I likely know your type more than you know mine. Just because there are people who don't detest their job or employer doesn't mean we agree with everything. Last time I checked this was a free society. You hate your job, find a new one. You would need skills besides being a courier 20+ years. So my guess is that the real resentments I see here are from old men who realize they wasted their youth never doing anything other than this . They are in every location.

Alot of us old men were led to believe if we did the time we'd get solid pay and a decent pension. Now it appears we've been duped into carrying the company while they built up Ground. And giving away the best years of your life to make a bunch of rich old farts richer while getting screwed in the process tends to make poor old farts pretty angry. And it always fascinates me how those with any kind of position in this company talk of us old couriers wasting our youth doing this job when your job exists as a result of the work we do. Think the checks will keep rolling in if we stop delivering pkgs? If there was constant turnover as the youthful young gods went off to find themselves you'd better believe FedEx would have taken from you in your exalted position to help pay for the constant hiring. We old men who stuck with it are the backbone of this company. And we are dinosaurs because the company has figured out how to bypass us. A little applied logic goes a long way...

Lordtekk

:thumbsup:
Alot of us old men were led to believe if we did the time we'd get solid pay and a decent pension. Now it appears we've been duped into carrying the company while they built up Ground. And giving away the best years of your life to make a bunch of rich old farts richer while getting screwed in the process tends to make poor old farts pretty angry. And it always fascinates me how those with any kind of position in this company talk of us old couriers wasting our youth doing this job when your job exists as a result of the work we do. Think the checks will keep rolling in if we stop delivering pkgs? If there was constant turnover as the youthful young gods went off to find themselves you'd better believe FedEx would have taken from you in your exalted position to help pay for the constant hiring. We old men who stuck with it are the backbone of this company. And we are dinosaurs because the company has figured out how to bypass us. A little applied logic goes a long way...

yepyep

My point is why do something if you hate it, or hate who your doing it for? You make your entire life miserable. I can't say I was fed stories of the promise land. So maybe the fact no one promised my era squat, or ever showed much appreciation left me better off in the long run. They have never planned on topping me out. If I quit I shall not be missed, but quickly replaced. I have no clue what my pension or 401k holds ( hold comments ) . My apologies for striking a nerve.I feel strongly that your relevance should not be based on years of service alone. My original post on this thread was to Dano anyway.