climate catastrophe

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I don’t know if there is anyone on this site qualified enough to say he was wrong on anything. I could be wrong.

What do you think about this one?

friedrich-nietzsche-350054.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
He’s not wrong, do you not think that society has pretty much killed god? Or are trying to?

I think it can be taken several ways. If he's an atheist, then clearly he's not talking about a literal God, but what the idea of God represents. On the other hand, if he believes in God, clearly we can't literally kill God, so I guess either way he's speaking figuratively, but each perspective provides its own meaning of what he's saying.

I honestly don't know whether Nietzsche was an atheist or not. Some people actually use this quote to support an atheist world view. But I don't think it really matters what he believed. I think he was talking about killing off the belief in God that helped man understand his place in the universe, and humbled him to a point of being careful about how he progressed and treated his fellow humans.

Without a belief in God, people have no moral absolute against which to measure his actions. Man ascends to the highest authority of godhood in his own mind. Literally anything becomes fair game, and man's pride and hubris will grow faster and faster until he lays waste to everything around him.

It is an inherent weakness in man, which leads to all his problems. No system devised has ever been able to overcome that weakness, excepting that man truly believe in God.

Non liberal

I think it can be taken several ways. If he's an atheist, then clearly he's not talking about a literal God, but what the idea of God represents. On the other hand, if he believes in God, clearly we can't literally kill God, so I guess either way he's speaking figuratively, but each perspective provides its own meaning of what he's saying.

I honestly don't know whether Nietzsche was an atheist or not. Some people actually use this quote to support an atheist world view. But I don't think it really matters what he believed. I think he was talking about killing off the belief in God that helped man understand his place in the universe, and humbled him to a point of being careful about how he progressed and treated his fellow humans.

Without a belief in God, people have no moral absolute against which to measure his actions. Man ascends to the highest authority of godhood in his own mind. Literally anything becomes fair game, and man's pride and hubris will grow faster and faster until he lays waste to everything around him.

It is an inherent weakness in man, which leads to all his problems. No system devised has ever been able to overcome that weakness, excepting that man truly believe in God.
I believe it was Jordan Peterson I was listening to, he was talking about how Nietzsche wrestled with the belief in god which is what basically drove him insane. I agree he was talking about man killing off the belief in god with Darwin’s theory, which is what made it easier for hitler to do what he did.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I believe it was Jordan Peterson I was listening to, he was talking about how Nietzsche wrestled with the belief in god which is what basically drove him insane. I agree he was talking about man killing off the belief in god with Darwin’s theory, which is what made it easier for hitler to do what he did.

Not even Peterson has the guts to say he believes in God. He works around it by saying that he tries to act as though God exists. God is a logical inevitability, the ones who deny God replace Him with earthly authority or even self.

Non liberal

Not even Peterson has the guts to say he believes in God. He works around it by saying that he tries to act as though God exists. God is a logical inevitability, the ones who deny God replace Him with earthly authority or even self.
You must not have listened to him lately, I was watching one of his videos a month or so ago and he now believes in god. I agree he is an inevitability. One way or another, everyone comes face to face with god.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
OYou must not have listened to him lately, I was watching one of his videos a month or so ago and he now believes in god. I agree he is an inevitability. One way or another, everyone comes face to face with god.

The most recent content of his I've seen is him talking about his Twitter ban. But I hadn't heard anything about him changing his position on God.

rickyb

The most recent content of his I've seen is him talking about his Twitter ban. But I hadn't heard anything about him changing his position on God.
nihilism is the dominant philosophy in our culture.

check out cornel west and robert george talk about this and philosophy.