Code 8s and Dex3s...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Code 3's are a big deal because so many of the newbies can't find a good address. So, at least in my station, the Code 3 no longer exists. That means that every address is good, even when it isn't.

FedEx logic at work.

We are having the same problem overheated with our new drivers, who either simply don't know the area or can't be bothered to go the extra mile to find the consignee.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ours wouldn't go the extra mile if they could find their way there. Lol.

I have 3 public schools and the district office on my route. The schools were all closed yesterday. The cover drivers would have sheeted them as closed and went on their way but I brought them to the district office as I know that they will accept their deliveries on days like this.

In addition, we are doing reattempts on ALL residential P1's. There has to be at least 15 minutes between reattempts. Our extended routes were told to sit there for 15 minutes if they have to before attempting it a 2nd time if it's in an out of the way location on their routes (it goes without saying it was suggested they take a break).
Our manager says to keep going after an attempt. If you know they are closed for the day, just wait the 15 min and do another attempt on the road when we can (falsification per management ) so we don't lose productivity I guess.

whenIgetthere

Like the ones with the wrong zip code?

Had one yesterday, correct street address for my area, but resident told me recipient doesn't live there. Did DEX03, dispatch sent me a message city and zip were wrong, supposed to be another state 1000 miles from here. Then, got message from our SAL that I must attempt to correct address.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Had one yesterday, correct street address for my area, but resident told me recipient doesn't live there. Did DEX03, dispatch sent me a message city and zip were wrong, supposed to be another state 1000 miles from here. Then, got message from our SAL that I must attempt to correct address.
I would have said, Sure! Then sent my mgr a message telling him I'll be back late tomorrow. Lol.

Express Courier

I'm at the point where if I get a bad address I just put not in/unsuitable location so I don't have to deal with dispatch. Then I Purple sticker it at the end of shift. It has worked out well so far. If for some reason the customer calls about asking for a reattempt I will probably work it in but if it's gonna :censored2: with my groove too much I plan to ignore the message from dispatch. But if they keep messaging for eta I will say it will be at the station when I get back.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ours wouldn't go the extra mile if they could find their way there. Lol.

Bingo. We have couriers who cannot even find their routes, much less an individual address. DRA will create new routes, and the newbie will have to be directed to the "new" area. Such is the current state of affairs at Express.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

WAD, and drive to the other state.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
We were told ALL business DEX 8's MUST be reattempted. All DEX 3's must be delivered to the new address, as long as it's within reason. If it's to far, you're supposed to call a manager. They haven't bothered me about indirects....yet.

I have a dentist office that had me put down they are closed on Fridays. One Friday I forgot (DRA didn't mark it as closed) and took it out. They were there. They told me that sometimes there's someone there doing paperwork, but most times not. Try explaining THAT when a manager asks why you took it out 'knowing' they are closed.
And yet, when I directly asked both our Managing Director and our Senior Manager what "within reason" is, all I got was mumble mouth BS, because neither one of them wants to be held accountable for what they would be forced to say in front of everyone in the station. And, boy, you should have heard the bizarre justification for being required to reattempt same day closed businesses (those who were undecided until the last minute and posted signs after the fact) when I challenged for an explanation as to how THAT was not counter-productive. Yes we are being managed by morons!

dex 84

So, part of me thinks a dex8 done by a CSA is different than a dex8 done by a courier. Must be pinching pennies at the expense of serving the customer.

If it's not getting delivered they seem to prefer a stat to a dex. Some holidays they'll tell us not to 08 any closed business but give the tracking number to a csa.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Our manager says to keep going after an attempt. If you know they are closed for the day, just wait the 15 min and do another attempt on the road when we can (falsification per management ) so we don't lose productivity I guess.

DEX 08, then DEX 17 with "Per posted hours" under recipient's name and something similar in the comments.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We were told ALL business DEX 8's MUST be reattempted. All DEX 3's must be delivered to the new address, as long as it's within reason.

Business 08s were a big deal a couple of years ago and everyone was to improve same-day resolution, but no one did, so here we are.