Commute Times: How Far is Too Far?

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a guy on my route who drove 2 and a half hours to Minneapolis every day to work— I thought that was a little excessive.

DriverNerd

I had a guy on my route who drove 2 and a half hours to Minneapolis every day to work— I thought that was a little excessive.
We had a driver go from Rochester to the Cities every day for 25 years. Not anywhere close to 2.5 hours, but I don't know how he didn't go crazy. Especially on snow days.

oldngray

nowhere special
Up to half an hour or so should be OK but the problem with that is the travel time can double or triple in bad weather or road construction.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
When I worked a hundred years ago, start time was 9. Alarm set @820, shower, eat, brown up, drive 10 minutes, clock in 859.
I remember guys being there like an hour, hour half before start time, drinking coffee, smoking cigs. I never did understand that mentality. I enjoyed the challenge of being there @859. I wanted to retire with the least amount of time at that building. I won.
(My first kid, his first two words he put together was, Heeeeeeeeere's Johnny!)

oldngray

nowhere special
When I worked a hundred years ago, start time was 9. Alarm set @820, shower, eat, brown up, drive 10 minutes, clock in 859.
I remember guys being there like an hour, hour half before start time, drinking coffee, smoking cigs. I never did understand that mentality. I enjoyed the challenge of being there @859. I wanted to retire with the least amount of time at that building. I won.
(My first kid, his first two words he put together was, Heeeeeeeeere's Johnny!)
I knew a driver that lived almost an hour away and never showed up more than a couple of minutes early. Even if he routinely had to drive 80 mph to make it in time.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
How far is too far to drive to work everyday?
c201ca33d6ca7027b312e65e268743d0.gif

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I knew a driver that lived almost an hour away and never showed up more than a couple of minutes early. Even if he routinely had to drive 80 mph to make it in time.
Getting there with no time to spare was a challenge everyday even though I lived close to the center. The further away, the tougher the challenge.