conference call

Griff

These companies are not trucking companies and their workers have degrees with options to go to twenty other companies and makes as much or more.

It's comparing Apples to Brownies.

Yeah because we all know driving trucks isn't a skill in and of itself. Nobody ever needs drivers with clean records and a history of safe driving, unheard of!

There he is beating the college and education rhetoric again.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hall a joke....Hoffa a joke...this company makes billions off our backs and our families backs...any give backs or concessions really will show how spineless our Union has become

For the 8000 time your the union I'm the union. We have every right to vote no on anything sent to us.

Hoffa and hall job is to get the best deal they think they can.

It's our job to call BS if we don't find that contract fair. Why would hall push for more if we vote in concessions. Obviously that would mean we were happy with the deal.

twoweeled

Here we go folks. I was on the call.

1) The language about harassment and 9.5 is the top priority for this contract. Apparently the language is already finished or very close to it and hall believes it is great language in our favor. It will be much easier to cash in on triple time for 9.5 violations. No real heavy duty specifics.

2) Healthcare is a stalemate. The union still maintains that we aren't paying for healthcare. hall gave them the option of allowing the Teamsters to take over our healthcare if they are unwilling to come to the table with status quo offer. He was very clear that we are WORLDS apart from the company on this issue but we aren't backing down.

3) The union is proposing a PT starting wage increase to $15 per hour and $1/yr raise thereafter. The company wants the wages to remain the same and is instead offering $1,000 bonus (per year?) to FT and $500 to PT. hall was audibly disgusted with the companies offer on economics. The call was cutting in and out on my cellphone during this time so I didn't hear about friend/T wages.

Basically the ball is in UPS's court and all they are doing is lowballing. If they want to risk their customers fleeing, so be it. It is UPS's fault for not coming to the table with reasonable offers considering the financial state of the company. hall made it pretty clear that we all need to draw a line in the sand, stand your ground. He said something to the effect if the strike card has to be played, we will play it when the time comes but now is not the time.

P.S. -- I'm a steward and there is no point withholding this information as it will be spread across the web a few hours from now. Same exact stuff i'll be telling people on Monday. TDU/Management was on the call as well, thanks to TDU leaking the phone # and pin # on their website for anyone who wanted to just call in randomly and listen.

Wow, I remember when I could remember a whole bunch of stuff like that. That's pretty much what I got outa the call. I was very relieved to hear hall convey we are not backing up. hall was adamant that we were not going to pay for health care, and I was happy that he reiterated that. Overall, I was happy with the stand we have right now.

LagunaBrown

I have absolutley ZERO INTEREST in the Union taking over my health care plan. They will completely destroy it. They are good at alot of things, but managing money properly has never been one of them. They should do what we pay them to do. Negotiate a good healthcare plan with the company for us.

The reality is that the Union is negotiating a national contract that involves very different health care options in each state. That gives the company leverage especially since the average annual cost per retired employee exceeded $6,250 this contract. You are in far better hands with the union then UPS.... The concern I would have is how many workers comp cases end up on the teamster health care plan.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
After reading this, I want you to ask yourself 2 questions.
1) UPS knows this proposal is totally unacceptable. Is UPS itching for a strike?
2) In your mind go down your seniority list. How many drivers on the list will stick it out no matter how long it takes in
the event of a strike.

Answer to first question: YES, they want a strike, for what reason? Who knows? They "think" they have it all figured out with Technology.

Answer to second question: ALL of our drivers will stick it out, even if it means they have to go back to preload for a couple of months until volume picks back up.

This is ALL on the companies back.

Peace

TOS

A

anonymous6

After reading this, I want you to ask yourself 2 questions.
1) UPS knows this proposal is totally unacceptable. Is UPS itching for a strike?
2) In your mind go down your seniority list. How many drivers on the list will stick it out no matter how long it takes in
the event of a strike.

no. i don't think ups wants a strike. it's called negotiating. it's like buying a used car. you ask for X. they offer Y. you go back and forth and settle on Z.

it takes time. but here's the kicker......you have to reasonable. i'm not sure if that is happening here.

stink219

Yes we all know how much you hate TDU. Anything of any value to post about? Because your babbling on about much you hate TDU isn't doing anything. It's like Republicans blaming Dems and Dems blaming Republicans. It accomplishes nothing.
It's now 7:03am. I just woke up and realized something. TDU still sucks!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a $100 dollar ( just to annoy u) family deductible a year. Can be met on either medical or dental. I pay nothing for prescriptions. No copayment at doctors.Surgery 100% covered. No payment for ER. Vision with quite a bit towards glasses. Even braces for my girl were covered up to $3000.

Just doesn't seem to me that yours is better than what I have. I have no interest in a $1000 deductible, paying for scripts, or worrying about ER visit.

Our health plan was in financial difficulty hence the need for the deductibles and co-pays. People tend to think twice before going to the doctor or ER if they have to pay for part of the visit. Our health care costs have gone down dramatically since while the level of benefits has remain unchanged.

kingOFchester

Back to the call. hall said the reason UPS wants a lower plan and have us pay a portion is because of the liability. UPS presented Hall with documentation showing how company provided healthcare shows up as a liability.

Stock prices are affected by assets vs liabilities. Stockholders and fund managers valuate companies based on the assets vs liabilities, commonly known as debt-to-equity ratio. hall eluded to the fact that if the Teamsters takes over the healthcare for us, it would not be a liability for UPS. He stated this was the "creative solutions" mentioned in the March 8th update.

I am not sure how an obligation to give Teamsters X amount of money to provide healthcare avoids that money be designated as a liability. Anyone care to analyze this?

kingOFchester

Shifting the healthcare over to the union would give the company the flexibility to take over the remaining multi-employer Teamster pension plans.

Not sure if its my comprehension skills, your communication skills or lack of knowledge by you, me or both. But could you elaborate and explain how this affects liabilities?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Looking for answer to KOC's question I found this very interesting:

Although different types of preventive care have different effects on spending, the evidence suggests that for most preventive services, expanded utilization leads to higher, not lower, medical spending overall.
That result may seem counterintuitive. For example, many observers point to cases in which a simple medical test, if given early enough, can reveal a condition that is treatable at a fraction of the cost of treating that same illness after it has progressed. In such cases, an ounce of prevention improves health and reduces spending—for that individual. But when analyzing the effects of preventive care on total spending for health care, it is important to recognize that doctors do not know beforehand which patients are going to develop costly illnesses.

To avert one case of acute illness, it is usually necessary to provide preventive care to many patients, most of whom would not have suffered that illness anyway. … Judging the overall effect on medical spending requires analysts to calculate not just the savings from the relatively few individuals who would avoid more expensive treatment later, but also the costs for the many who would make greater use of preventive care.[50]

Still looking on his liability question.......

kingOFchester

Doing some digging. Long term debt vs short term debt and also balance sheet vs off-balance sheet seems to be where all this is coming from if we take what Hall said as fact. Perhaps having a healthcare bill on the books shows up on the balance sheet as long term debt. Where as an obligation to give money to the Teamsters for healthcare shows up as short term debt and or off balance sheet debt.

Still doing some investigation on this issue.

Yes we all know how much you hate TDU. Anything of any value to post about? Because your babbling on about much you hate TDU isn't doing anything. It's like Republicans blaming Dems and Dems blaming Republicans. It accomplishes nothing.
You hand out those those green TDU newspapers don't you?? TDU sucks even worse at 9:20 am while I'm at the union meeting.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am not sure how an obligation to give Teamsters X amount of money to provide healthcare avoids that money be designated as a liability. Anyone care to analyze this?

That means if premiums do double or increase more than what was negotiated, the union or it's members are on the hook for the difference.

If the union takes over the plan and costs do skyrocket, we will be paying more out of pocket and the company can shrug it's shoulders and say, "talk to the union, they are the ones running the plan."

I am kind of surprised that the company has not agreed to that.

That means if premiums do double or increase more than what was negotiated, the union or it's members are on the hook for the difference.

If the union takes over the plan and costs do skyrocket, we will be paying more out of pocket and the company can shrug it's shoulders and say, "talk to the union, they are the ones running the plan."

I am kind of surprised that the company has not agreed to that.
The union cant take care of my pension!..There is no way in Hell I want them in charge of my Healthcare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oldupsman

no. i don't think ups wants a strike. it's called negotiating. it's like buying a used car. you ask for X. they offer Y. you go back and forth and settle on Z.

it takes time. but here's the kicker......you have to reasonable. i'm not sure if that is happening here.
That's my point. You have to be reasonable. Sure doesn't sound reasonable to me. This is strictly IMHO. UPS is not scared of a strike.
See my point number 2.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Doing some digging. Long term debt vs short term debt and also balance sheet vs off-balance sheet seems to be where all this is coming from if we take what Hall said as fact. Perhaps having a healthcare bill on the books shows up on the balance sheet as long term debt. Where as an obligation to give money to the Teamsters for healthcare shows up as short term debt and or off balance sheet debt.

Still doing some investigation on this issue.

That logic makes sense, but the debt either way is forecast for the life of the current contract in place is it not or just a loophole in accounting processes?