Confused: Where to begin.... NEED HELP!

I've been working at UPS- Louisville for going on 13 years now. Recently,(2yrs ago) I accepted a 6hr job. The job I accepted was a testing job. Basically, its hub to ramp, work 3hrs inside the hub then to ramp for the remaining 3.

During my time as hub 2 ramp i was told, that I didn't have the same in-house bidding priorities as a full 6hr ramp employee. Understood! However, I put in a bid and became a Full 6hr ramp employee a year later. This week they started, the OTI or on-time initiative here. My crew which are all 6hr ramp employees, was not asked to come in early like all the other crews because we are considered "late crew" which is told to me that we are responsible for clean up.

The problem I'm having is that I have higher seniority than most of the 6hrs on the ramp who are coming in at 9:45pm than I coming in at 12:00PM. I was also told that when I got the full ramp 6hr I would be able to be included in changes such as this. I also having a problem with the fact that I got full 6hr ramp and they are still putting me the hub 2 ramp employees when they said that it was gonna be two different crews. To add insult to injury, I'm still on the cleanup crew because I still a late crew and that cleanup is a job, however, my Full time is telling me its my job but tells everyone else (9:45pm) crews that its optional. So now they are getting almost 9hrs while I can barely get my guarantee 6. I know I cant say anything about them wasting company time by sitting on the clock all while I have to wait to get my 6hr guarantee but that's a different story all together.

Please help!! Any insight is much appreciated

john chesney

I've been working at UPS- Louisville for going on 13 years now. Recently,(2yrs ago) I accepted a 6hr job. The job I accepted was a testing job. Basically, its hub to ramp, work 3hrs inside the hub then to ramp for the remaining 3.

During my time as hub 2 ramp i was told, that I didn't have the same in-house bidding priorities as a full 6hr ramp employee. Understood! However, I put in a bid and became a Full 6hr ramp employee a year later. This week they started, the OTI or on-time initiative here. My crew which are all 6hr ramp employees, was not asked to come in early like all the other crews because we are considered "late crew" which is told to me that we are responsible for clean up.

The problem I'm having is that I have higher seniority than most of the 6hrs on the ramp who are coming in at 9:45pm than I coming in at 12:00PM. I was also told that when I got the full ramp 6hr I would be able to be included in changes such as this. I also having a problem with the fact that I got full 6hr ramp and they are still putting me the hub 2 ramp employees when they said that it was gonna be two different crews. To add insult to injury, I'm still on the cleanup crew because I still a late crew and that cleanup is a job, however, my Full time is telling me its my job but tells everyone else (9:45pm) crews that its optional. So now they are getting almost 9hrs while I can barely get my guarantee 6. I know I cant say anything about them wasting company time by sitting on the clock all while I have to wait to get my 6hr guarantee but that's a different story all together.

File a grievance it don’t cost you anything.I try and read and understand this later.

brown_trousers

Was the ramp job that gets 9 hrs offered to you?

542thruNthru

And to add insult to injury, the 3hr employees are now coming in and getting more hrs than me

I don't know your supplemental language. Local 89 is like a whole other beast. So I would definitely call your BA. Because here that would be considered extra work and should go to the employee with the most seniority.

cachmeifucan

Go to your first union meeting. Introduce yourself to the business agent. You will probably see the guys getting the 9 hours at the meeting. File a grievance and follow up. Daily until he either helps you or explains the reason.

brown_trousers

See thats the thing, this wasn't something that could be bidded on, this is what was asked because of this on time initiative UPS is doing however i still was never asked

Practically any union job at UPS can be bid. Whether its a physical bid you sign on paper or a verbal bid.

That doesnt mean you can bump somebody from a job they already have, but if a job is vacated, or a position is created, it can be bid.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't know your supplemental language. Local 89 is like a whole other beast. So I would definitely call your BA. Because here that would be considered extra work and should go to the employee with the most seniority.

Sounds like he is in a catch 22.

Extra work does go by seniority, but you must be present, qualified and available.

If he has not started yet, and is not present for this extra work, he is out of luck.

If he is currently doing his present job while someone else is doing extra work after their shift, and none of the work can wait until the OP is finished with his job, then he is again out of luck.

There may not be any extra work at the end of his shift since he is clean-up.

You are right though, if I didn't know, I would have talked to my Steward or BA first.

brown_trousers

Sounds like he is in a catch 22.

Extra work does go by seniority, but you must be present, qualified and available.

If he has not started yet, and is not present for this extra work, he is out of luck.

If he is currently doing his present job while someone else is doing extra work after their shift, and none of the work can wait until the OP is finished with his job, then he is again out of luck.

There may not be any extra work at the end of his shift since he is clean-up.

You are right though, if I didn't know, I would have talked to my Steward or BA first.

Well said. I was thinking the same thing.

I believe it all comes down to 2 things;
What part of his shift is regular work?
And what part is extra work?

Tony Q

So just so I can get this straight, you have one of those local 89 six hour a day full time concession jobs? It amazes me that Fred has had six hour a day full time jobs for as long as he has had and constantly preaches that he wants no more concessions.