Congress May Spend More On The Benghazi Panel Than On The Veterans Affairs Committee

Overpaid Union Thug

You're conflating the US Navy with the Dept of the Navy, they're not the same thing. The US Navy and the USMC both belong to the Dept of the Navy, in the same way the that the US Army belongs to the Dept of the Army and the US Air Force belongs to the Dept of the Air Force. The Marines are not "under the command of the Navy", which is the post I was responding to. They're a separate military branch with their own mission statement.

The Marines operate under the Department of the Navy. The Department of the Navy and Navy are one in the same. They both consist of Naval officers and Naval enlisted personnel. The only difference between the Department of the Navy, The Department of the Air Force, and The Department of the Army is that the Navy's provides a government organizational structure for an additional branch. The Marines. So, it's obvious that the Marines are under the Navy itself. Notice there is no Department of the Marines. There is a separate commander for the Marines but at an administrative, and political level, the Marines operate under the Navy (Department of the Navy). All of the Naval personnel and Marines I ever worked with made this perfectly clear whenever they got the chance. It usually came up during inter branch rivalries and bickering. It's actually a joke among many Marines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_of_the_Navy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps

http://science.howstuffworks.com/marines1.htm

Third paragraph
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/military101.htm

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The Marines operate under the Department of the Navy. The Department of the Navy and Navy are one in the same.
No they're not. The head of the Navy is the Chief of Naval Operations, the head of the Marine Corps is the Commandant. The Commandant does not report to the CNO, instead they both report to the Secretary of Navy, a civilian appointee who is the head of the Dept of the Navy.
Heck, read your own wikipedia link to the Dept of the Navy, right under the title it says "Not to be confused with United States Navy"
You can then follow that link to the wikipedia page on the US Navy, scroll down a little bit, and read this:
Relationships with other service branches:
United States Marine Corps

In 1834, the United States Marine Corps came under the Department of the Navy.[41] Historically, the Navy has had a unique relationship with the USMC, partly because they both specialize in seaborne operations. Together the Navy and Marine Corps form the Department of the Navy and report to the secretary of the navy. However, the Marine Corps is a distinct, separate service branch[42] with its own uniformed service chief – the Commandant of the Marine Corps, a four-star general.

The Marine Corps depends on the Navy for medical support (dentists, doctors, nurses, medical technicians known as corpsmen) and religious support (chaplains). Thus Navy officers and enlisted sailors fulfill these roles. When attached to Marine Corps units deployed to an operational environment they generally wear marine camouflage uniforms, but otherwise they wear Navy dress uniforms unless they opt to conform to Marine Corps grooming standards.

In the operational environment, as an expeditionary force specializing in amphibious operations, Marines often embark on Navy ships in order to conduct operations from beyond territorial waters. Marine units deploying as part of a Marine Air-Ground Task Force (MAGTF) operate under the command of the existing Marine chain of command. Although Marine units routinely operate from amphibious assault ships the relationship has evolved over the years much as the Commander of the Carrier Air Group/Wing (CAG) does not work for the carrier commanding officer, but coordinates with the ship's CO and staff. Some Marine aviation squadrons, usually fixed-wing assigned to carrier air wings train and operate alongside Navy squadrons, flying similar missions and often flying sorties together under the cognizance of the CAG. Aviation is where the Navy and Marines share the most common ground, since aircrews are guided in their use of aircraft by standard procedures outlined in series of publications known as NATOPS manuals.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
No they're not. The head of the Navy is the Chief of Naval Operations, the head of the Marine Corps is the Commandant. The Commandant does not report to the CNO, instead they both report to the Secretary of Navy, a civilian appointee who is the head of the Dept of the Navy.
Heck, read your own wikipedia link to the Dept of the Navy, right under the title it says "Not to be confused with United States Navy"
You can then follow that link to the wikipedia page on the US Navy, scroll down a little bit, and read this:

OOOPS.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
i'm assuming you are talking to me(that danged pesky Rply button is still a challenge for you I see)
After all of the investigations to date i'm certain the family has been given the answers.
Furthermore I'd b PISSED that the plight of my family members were being whored by the Republican party for purely partisan reasons

You said "WHORED" and I thought you were referring to ... Oh well, nevermind.

TOS.