Considering Feeders..

averageguy

So there's an open spot in feeders and I'm considering signing the bid, but besides the fact that I may or may not actually get it I have a quick question.

Will UPS put me through training if I only have my cdl permit, or do I need to have the actual cdl license with required endorsements before I'm even eligible for the bid?

PT Car Washer

Go for it. What do you have to lose? If you don't like it just go back to package car. May lose a week of vacation if you do not complete training.

raceanoncr

They could offer me $10/hr more and I would still never want to drive a "real truck".

I would've taken a cut in pay. This is what I've done all my life. It seemed just natural.

As a kid, I always was fascinated by huge machines, eventually becoming a heavy equipment operator, then UPS feeders. I seem to be able to get in anything and drive/operate it. It's not natural for me to be in a little truck. Yes, I did package car but was never comfortable.

The only thing I haven't done and am way too old to start now is "drive" a Boeing 777. No, I wouldn't be satisfied with a little Cessna, give me the big boy.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You may only need the CDL Permit if they are going to run the school,the Empire will get you your license how ever,,,,,, you will owe the Empire a 2 year commitment to stay in feeders!! good luck !!

oldngray

nowhere special
There is a weight limit for feeders. A skinny guy will be allowed in on a probationary basis but only has about 6 months to get up to playing weight.

MaceFremonti

Above is true...I signed the bid list for feeders at 5'11" 140 lbs...my "delivery" weight for 22 years. 7 months into Feeders I'm at 172!

They told me if I wasn't 170 by peak it was TIAD.

(There Is Always Delivery)

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think the reason drivers gain weight in feeder is because they got used to "swallowing" in package.
Much simpler ... it is like a management job, that is, it is sedentary in nature.
No cardiovascular or weight losing activities.
Climbing the stairs to get to the breakroom or dispatch office are the best cardio they get all day.
This does not apply as much to yard or TDP personnel.

Much simpler ... it is like a management job, that is, it is sedentary in nature.
No cardiovascular or weight losing activities.
Climbing the stairs to get to the breakroom or dispatch office are the best cardio they get all day.
This does not apply as much to yard or TDP personnel.

I would say more of the weight came from long hours and a changing dinner schedule. You come home beat , knock down a meal, and then usually sleep on it. The worst of combinations.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would say more of the weight came from long hours and a changing dinner schedule. You come home beat , knock down a meal, and then usually sleep on it. The worst of combinations.
Sounds like a package drivers job but UPS is rough on everyone.
I think the ulterior plan is for everyone to die early to reduce pension and healthcare benefits. :devil3:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Being in feeders requires a commitment to excellence. And by excellence, I mean working with little sleep, and bigger uniforms. And by bigger uniforms, I mean...oh, you now what I mean. Tiny meals and going to the gym like a religion you hate. I haven't got fat in three years back here, but man, I don't think I've gone on the diet. I think my old life did.

There's your feeder trade-off.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was so paranoid about getting fat from the drop in activity that I actually lost weight initially, I ate a lot of apples the first few weeks. I'm holding steady now but definitely have to pay more attention to what I eat and when I eat it than I did in delivery. Like Drac said small meals and get your ass to the gym, which is good advice anyway.

I used to nap on lunch but I've gotten in the habit of walking on my lunch. I can usually average 4 miles or so. Then sometime at home I get out for another 4.

MaceFremonti

My wife actually likes me with weight on me but she did say if I hit 180 she's going to make me start going to the gym!

Sent using BrownCafe App