Contract proposals for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManInBrown

Allow drivers under 4 years to get on the 9.5 list.

Force all of management to stay until the last driver is in the building.
They can. The language is poorly worded. All you have to do is bid a route for the week and go over 3 times. Most progression drivers are cover, and the language is worded to sound like you can't, but you can.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Automatic Triple Time after 9.5 hours. No lists, no grievances, no excuses. The company doesn't ask our input, doesn't care how it effects our lives, they cut routes like crazy and pile on the work, and then use intimidation tactics when you get on the list. Getting home from work at 8, 9, sometimes 10 o'clock is not normal. Why do we just accept it? They want to keep us out late, fine, but make them pay. Give them some incentive to stop raising stop counts every year. And while we're at it, pension and H+W contributions for EVERY hour worked.

Those two things should be our biggest concern. You know how much overtime you work. Every employee, every extra hour....think of how much that would help...especially all these failing pensions.

That's a good post.

It ties right in with "opt in.... not out.... for overtime".

Package car drivers, are not feeder drivers.

There's a difference.

-Bug-

clean hairy

"No Driver shall be dispatched with more than 9.5 work each day"
"Drivers shall return at the end of their 9.5 hours with no threats or disciplinary action if stops are still on drivers truck"
"UPS Management shall be accountable for any service failures due to over dispatch of drivers"
A Driver may elect to work over 9.5. hours per day by informing management on the first workday of each month.
This election will only be for 15 work days of said month.

NXA

I would like excess overtime to be paid in comp time, an hour comp for every two hours over 9.5. For example if I work an 11, I get straight pay for 8, time and a half for 3, and .75 hrs comp time. Every nine hours of accrued comp is an additional personal day, and is managed with personal days.

10 Pt

I would like excess overtime to be paid in comp time, an hour comp for every two hours over 9.5. For example if I work an 11, I get straight pay for 8, time and a half for 3, and .75 hrs comp time. Every nine hours of accrued comp is an additional personal day, and is managed with personal days.
Paid at what rate?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
You giving a discount. Should be 1.5 hours of Comp for every hour over 9.5

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
We have a hard enough time with payroll and personal holidays or sick days. I can't imagine trying to track over 9.5 time when it will be different for every employee. Also, what rules would there be for getting the time off since all the supplements have different language? I like the idea but don't know if it's practical or wouldn't be highly abused by the company.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We have a hard enough time with payroll and personal holidays or sick days. I can't imagine trying to track over 9.5 time when it will be different for every employee. Also, what rules would there be for getting the time off since all the supplements have different language? I like the idea but don't know if it's practical or wouldn't be highly abused by the company.
They can spend a billion on technology to follow us all day they can spend a 1/10 of that for a new payroll system....

NXA

You giving a discount. Should be 1.5 hours of Comp for every hour over 9.5
I'm tracking ya. I guess I was thinking for everybody all the time, not a punitive payment that I would grieve to get. And I suppose if we keep "the 9.5 list" procedure intact, there would be penalty pay you would grieve for in addition.
You're right, but his ideology is sound.
With the Company paying a premium, plus time off, they would be forced to increase their staffing.

I like it.
Get it done @BigUnionGuy (s)?
I didn't think of this result, but yes you're right if a driver is getting an extra day off every two or three weeks, and using it, they will need to staff up.

MostHelpNeeded

That's a good post.

It ties right in with "opt in.... not out.... for overtime".

Package car drivers, are not feeder drivers.

There's a difference.

-Bug-

I'd even go so far to say all overtime should be paid at double time. I think we really need to work at changing the mindset of this company. If one starts at 9, takes an hour for lunch, then an 8 hour day puts him at 6:00 PM. That's a full day. There's a reason it's called OVERtime. 9.5 in this case is 7:30 PM. That IS excessive just once. But go through the whole ordeal, get on the list, and they'll dispatch you right at your 9.5 number, and 7:30 becomes your average punch out time. Obviously, it varies a bit for everyone based on start times and lunches, but you get the point.

If you're an O/t whore, fine I get it; opt in on this new list we should have and cover late pickups or whatever. But, for the rest of us, that's no way to live a life. As members of a Union, why do we accept this? There's no reason it has to be like this. 8 hours is a normal workday; dispatch the routes correctly and put enough of them on. Every damn day. Stop the cutting and condensing of routes and screwing people over. Stop spending wasting the money on useless tech (ORION) and invest it in infrastructure. This company isn't going anywhere; shipping isn't go anywhere. It will only grow as the older population ages out. It's inevitable. Put the routes out there, bring back normal routines, and bring back service.

Anyway lol, We can't run the company. Maybe there's only so much we could do...but there's so much we could do if we were united. So much. It has to start somewhere, and making it known to the company that it is no longer cheaper to pay overtime than put another driver on is a damn good start.

wide load

I'm tracking ya. I guess I was thinking for everybody all the time, not a punitive payment that I would grieve to get. And I suppose if we keep "the 9.5 list" procedure intact, there would be penalty pay you would grieve for in addition.

I didn't think of this result, but yes you're right if a driver is getting an extra day off every two or three weeks, and using it, they will need to staff up.
I like where your going, my proposal is an automatic payment in the following weeks paycheck for the 3x hourly pay. Yours or mine works. I still feel that yours should shoot for higher.

OrionsBitch

Not...
They can. The language is poorly worded. All you have to do is bid a route for the week and go over 3 times. Most progression drivers are cover, and the language is worded to sound like you can't, but you can.
Most cover drivers can bid routes for a week. So unless you are one of the top seniority cover drivers your still screwed. Anyone should be able to get on the 9.5 list regardless of seniority.

wide load

Most cover drivers can bid routes for a week. So unless you are one of the top seniority cover drivers your still screwed. Anyone should be able to get on the 9.5 list regardless of seniority.
You disagreed with my post saying 4years or less can get on the 9.5 list. What do you need me to explain to you?

MostHelpNeeded

I agree that if we're going to keep this 9.5 list, then anyone should be able to get on it. The problem is that there are plenty of areas where cover drivers are assigned at the whim of management based on area knowledge or just staffing needs. They don't bid. They could be on a different route every day of the week. What the hell difference does it make what route you're covering!? 9.5 hours is 9.5 hours regardless of whatever work you're doing. The list is for relief of overtime. What does having 4 years in or what route you're doing have to do with anything?

This whole 9.5 list BS needs to go.

OrionsBitch

Not...
You disagreed with my post saying 4years or less can get on the 9.5 list. What do you need me to explain to you?
Should have been can't instead of can. In my center only bid swing drivers can big a route for one week. There are 20-25 drivers who show up and are on a different route everyday. A lot of these drivers are under 4 years seniority. What happens is management takes advantage of our lower pay and works us much longer than other drivers or sends us to help other people so they can be in earlier and it costs UPS less in overtime. A side effect of this is fewer routes and less people working. They no longer have to add base routes and instead just load up all the young guys. The Union doesn't do shot for guys under 4 years. They pay union dues likes the rest of us. And a lot of them have families too.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2154.GIF
Should have been can't instead of can. In my center only bid swing drivers can big a route for one week. There are 20-25 drivers who show up and are on a different route everyday. A lot of these drivers are under 4 years seniority. What happens is management takes advantage of our lower pay and works us much longer than other drivers or sends us to help other people so they can be in earlier and it costs UPS less in overtime. A side effect of this is fewer routes and less people working. They no longer have to add base routes and instead just load up all the young guys. The Union doesn't do shot for guys under 4 years. They pay union dues likes the rest of us. And a lot of them have families too.

Status
Not open for further replies.