Contract proposals for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yep.

It's supposed to be a means of letting the company have an opportunity to pay straight time

vs overtime, as it would apply to a 10% employee.... who doesn't have a 40 hour

guarantee for the week. Not forcing someone in on straight time because they called off

or had an unpaid day off.

-Bug-
Saturday ground operations are having many boundaries tested here.

Let me pose a question, after I lay a little ground work.

First, our pay periods have always been Sunday thru Saturday, hence the term "week ending 8/19/2017.

With this in mind, if a Tues-Sat driver (junior) is called in on Monday and works the rest of the week, including Saturday, which day is his sixth day.....

Monday or Saturday?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Saturday ground operations are having many boundaries tested here.

Let me pose a question, after I lay a little ground work.

First, our pay periods have always been Sunday thru Saturday, hence the term "week ending 8/19/2017.

With this in mind, if a Tues-Sat driver (junior) is called in on Monday and works the rest of the week, including Saturday, which day is his sixth day.....

Monday or Saturday?

Saturday.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Saturday.
My Local tells me that it's Monday, since Tuesday thru Saturday is "their scheduled work".

Under that scenario, a one year driver has an opportunity to work a sixth punch ahead of me, a 20+ year driver, within the same pay period.

They are dangerous.
God forbid a precedence is realized, by the Company, through my Local in the next two years.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
My Local tells me that it's Monday, since Tuesday thru Saturday is "their scheduled work".

Under that scenario, a one year driver has an opportunity to work a sixth punch ahead of me, a 20+ year driver, within the same pay period.

They are dangerous.
God forbid a precedence is realized, by the Company, through my Local in the next two years.
I have to look but I believe my supplement have OT language if called in prior to your regular shift.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

They are dangerous.

That's been grieved before.... and lost.

The pay period runs from Sunday thru Saturday, regardless of the scheduled work week.

Article 11 sec 1 for the part-timers and Article 12 sec 9 for full-timers.

"If an employee is required to work a sixth (6th) and seventh (7th) consecutive day at the Employer’s request, they shall be paid the appropriate premium regardless of the established work week."

Your Local would have to overcome this.

-Bug-

UnconTROLLed

perfection

They are dangerous.
all of our jobs are bid bi-annually so seniority still rules. If you want a M-friend job, that's the price to pay!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's been grieved before.... and lost.

The pay period runs from Sunday thru Saturday, regardless of the scheduled work week.

Article 11 sec 1 for the part-timers and Article 12 sec 9 for full-timers.

"If an employee is required to work a sixth (6th) and seventh (7th) consecutive day at the Employer’s request, they shall be paid the appropriate premium regardless of the established work week."

Your Local would have to overcome this.

-Bug-
I only rated your post "funny", because of your final line in the post.

But seriously, the notion that an issue can't be challenged again, because a grievance was already lost on a subject (by God knows who, when, where, and how), so it is not to ever be challenged again, is an inherent flaw in our Union's mindset.

Times change, along with the scenarios in which disputes arise, so we must change the status quo from time to time.

~Bbbl~™

Last edited:

Observer

Part timers should get a 25 hour vacation. Also the Code of Conduct book should be enforced. Past Practice should be outlawed. There should be enforcement of management trying to state they won't do something anymore - promises are wrong. Once a person makes book perhaps someone could call the new person (or better yet introduce themselves) to let them know who there steward is. Or just send out a letter from the union hall so people know how to contact. When asked the pt sup's just mention the BA's name if they know it. They are not helpful with ANY information.

rocket man

9 / 5 have it daily and it automatically goes into your pay.. And each Center should have one or two package cars solely for over 70.swith a two-man team And on the 24th Footers big Bertha's big Brown's whatever you call him should all have lift gates.

InsideUPS

Proposal Suggestion for 2018 Contract - We (the UPS Teamsters) need some sort of standardized driver qualification method for new people trying to qualify for full time driver positions. The method we have now which is scratching 5 days in a row within a 30 day period is pitiful and full of inequity issues. Supervisors can basically "Cherry Pick" their favorite individuals in a variety of ways. There needs to be more control on what can be added or changed during the 30 day qualifying period (I once thought we had this type of language in our contract). By keeping drivers from qualifying...the company is benefiting tremendously by keeping wages at seasonal driving rates (less than half of what a full time driver makes). The playing field (qualifying routes) (ever changing time standards) (etc.) is simply too unequal across the board. If being in a Union is about "fairness" and creating full-time jobs with a top rate of pay and a full time pension.....things really need to change. Until then.....we virtually have a 2 Tier wage system now....with favored employees progressing over senior part-time employees that may not be viewed as a "runner".

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Proposal Suggestion for 2018 Contract - We (the UPS Teamsters) need some sort of standardized driver qualification method for new people trying to qualify for full time driver positions. The method we have now which is scratching 5 days in a row within a 30 day period is pitiful and full of inequity issues. Supervisors can basically "Cherry Pick" their favorite individuals in a variety of ways. There needs to be more control on what can be added or changed during the 30 day qualifying period (I once thought we had this type of language in our contract). By keeping drivers from qualifying...the company is benefiting tremendously by keeping wages at seasonal driving rates (less than half of what a full time driver makes). The playing field (qualifying routes) (ever changing time standards) (etc.) is simply too unequal across the board. If being in a Union is about "fairness" and creating full-time jobs with a top rate of pay and a full time pension.....things really need to change. Until then.....we virtually have a 2 Tier wage system now....with favored employees progressing over senior part-time employees that may not be viewed as a "runner".
This is a huge issue in my Local.
The Company is training driver after driver, in the wake of Saturday ground implementation.
Leaning hard on this arbitrary standard of "scratch", the Company has been successful in convincing the Local Union to agree to 10 day or more extensions for many qualifying drivers in recent months, to my dismay.
For a union that claims that we don't recognize the Company's production standards, it's hard to believe in the presence of the qualifying process and the bonus program.

5habits100

This is a huge issue in my Local.
The Company is training driver after driver, in the wake of Saturday ground implementation.
Leaning hard on this arbitrary standard of "scratch", the Company has been successful in convincing the Local Union to agree to 10 day or more extensions for many qualifying drivers in recent months, to my dismay.
For a union that claims that we don't recognize the Company's production standards, it's hard to believe in the presence of the qualifying process and the bonus program.
You need to put a stop to that so they don't try that crap in other Local's.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Quality post, and Contract proposal.

I might be able to add more.

-Bug-

LeadBelly

Banned
So, BigGuy what happens to these proposals?

Are you in a position to get these in front of somebody that can make a difference? Or this just for sheets and grins?
I screenshot and send these posts to people in high places on the negotiating committees all over the country. I was just sitting next to the big dog all day in Tuesday. Believe me, there are things on this very forum that get to see the light of day. I promise you this.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I might be able to add more.

In the Central Region, Article 1 section 1 is overly broad.

"(a) Probationary employees: a new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement but shall be employed only on a thirty (30) working day trial basis, during which period he/she may be discharged without further recourse; provided however, that the Employer may not discharge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating against union members."

The method we have now which is scratching 5 days in a row within a 30 day period is pitiful and full of inequity issues.

That is an antiquated standard, and not equally applied.

Some training routes a newbie could "scratch" in 10 days.

Others, you can't scratch in 30.

The company will still qualify (some drivers) knowing the route has a bad time study.

Figure that.

There needs to be more control on what can be added or changed during the 30 day qualifying period (I once thought we had this type of language in our contract).

Graduated loads, have always been the norm.

But.... pull the driver off a training route (even for a day)

And, you "bought" him.

If being in a Union is about "fairness" and creating full-time jobs with a top rate of pay and a full time pension.....things really need to change. Until then.....we virtually have a 2 Tier wage system now....with favored employees progressing over senior part-time employees that may not be viewed as a "runner".

That's an astute point.

Let's change it.

-Bug-

Status
Not open for further replies.