Contract raises vs. state minimum wage

542thruNthru

He's just a turd with a parasite attitude.
Working in the air-conditioned Counter dealing with uninformed customers that give him a false sense of knowing it all.
Hell, he's older than me but won't let go of his cushy job because he is afraid to be alone with his wife.

Hell I'm afraid to be alone with her also. That womans taste for BDSM is insatiable. ;)

RealPerson

The rate of pay for a job is not based on climatic conditions or whether a sup yells at you.

You're saying that PTers shod be paid more because their job is physical, their sup yells at them and they don't have AC.

I would like to agree with you, but that is not how rates of pay are determined.

They are determined by the market, the companies, the unions and the education (skill level) needed.

Since UPS cannot keep employees, I agree with you and have said it before.

They may have to increase their PT wages to keep people over and above what the government says is the minimum that they have to pay employees.

No, I am saying why would anyone work for the same amount of pay, that they could get at an easier place to work....Thus, most leave in the first week. I guess our building is on a strict thing to hire 3 people a week. Funny part is, we have about 2 tours of 10-15 people a week. 3 people agree to come work... 4 quit that week... Last week we had every supervisor working almost all week. Saturday, because we are short, Monday because 40% of the people are off because they worked Saturday, then the rest of the week with Vacations and call offs and people quitting.. They need to hire 6 a week, but they wont. Does UPS want people to stay???? I don't think so... Supervisors can continue to work, and UPS doesn't have to pay benefits.....

Then I read the rest of your reply and you agree... I guess it's how we read things..

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
No, I am saying why would anyone work for the same amount of pay, that they could get at an easier place to work....Thus, most leave in the first week. I guess our building is on a strict thing to hire 3 people a week. Funny part is, we have about 2 tours of 10-15 people a week. 3 people agree to come work... 4 quit that week... Last week we had every supervisor working almost all week. Saturday, because we are short, Monday because 40% of the people are off because they worked Saturday, then the rest of the week with Vacations and call offs and people quitting.. They need to hire 6 a week, but they wont. Does UPS want people to stay???? I don't think so... Supervisors can continue to work, and UPS doesn't have to pay benefits.....

Then I read the rest of your reply and you agree... I guess it's how we read things..

I agree that UPS should pay PTers more to try and get them to stick around, not because it is a physical job.

And I also agree that there are much easier jobs with less work. But, at least at UPS, there is the possibility of moving to FT eventually and making $75-100K. Not possible at McDonalds.

Faceplanted

I agree that UPS should pay PTers more to try and get them to stick around, not because it is a physical job.

And I also agree that there are much easier jobs with less work. But, at least at UPS, there is the possibility of moving to FT eventually and making $75-100K. Not possible at McDonalds.
75-100k after what? Being ft for 4 years before top out.... maybe 5 years next contract. In that time you can learn a trade.... welding/electrician/plumbing ect or go to school for something actually needed and make close to that with 1/3rd of the stress.

This job is not the end all be all it used to be. That's for sure. If I started pt now getting minimum wage I would surely quit pretty quick and find another path to 75k within 6 years

anHOURover

There is a road to management at McDonald which is better.
FACT
HOW MANY PART TIMERS ACTUALLY MADE IT TO FULL TIME DRIVING. ID BE WILLING TO BE ITS LESS THAN 5%
FACT

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
75-100k after what? Being ft for 4 years before top out....

Even the first year of the progression, you are still making $45K, about the same that a GM at McDonalds makes.

maybe 5 years next contract.

Only if you vote for it.

In that time you can learn a trade.... welding/electrician/plumbing ect or go to school for something actually needed and make close to that with 1/3rd of the stress.

I agree. But these "trades" take money and time to learn. Some even have apprenticeships that barely pay to put food on the table.

School is another option. I never said it wasn't. But this also takes time and money.

This job is not the end all be all it used to be. That's for sure. If I started pt now getting minimum wage I would surely quit pretty quick and find another path to 75k within 6 years

Good luck with that, without spending a crapload of time and money on schooling.

Yes, there are some jobs that you could get there with little or no money, but there are not very many of them.

Check and see what the 1990's $30/hr GM jobs are paying now.

There is a road to management at McDonald which is better.

Really? The average GM salary at McDonalds is $45-50K. Drivers make this the first year, even in progression. In 4 years, they make double this. And we can get this ridiculous progression changed.

FACT

McDonald's Salaries | Glassdoor
McDonald's Salary | PayScale
McDonald's Store Manager Salaries | CareerBliss

HOW MANY PART TIMERS ACTUALLY MADE IT TO FULL TIME DRIVING. ID BE WILLING TO BE ITS LESS THAN 5%
FACT

You state this as "FACT," but you actually say, while shouting, that you'd be willing to bet.

So you have no factual basis for your claim while stating fact. You sound just like CNN. Stating things as fact without any factual proof or eveidence to back it up.

anHOURover

Even the first year of the progression, you are still making $45K, about the same that a GM at McDonalds makes.

Only if you vote for it.

I agree. But these "trades" take money and time to learn. Some even have apprenticeships that barely pay to put food on the table.

School is another option. I never said it wasn't. But this also takes time and money.

Good luck with that, without spending a crapload of time and money on schooling.

Yes, there are some jobs that you could get there with little or no money, but there are not very many of them.

Really? The average GM salary at McDonalds is $45-50K. Drivers make this the first year, even in progression. In 4 years, they make double this. And we can get this ridiculous progression changed.

FACT

You state this as "FACT," but you actually say, while shouting, that you'd be willing to bet.

So you have no factual basis for your claim while stating fact. You sound just like CNN. Stating things as fact without any factual proof or eveidence to back it up.
Did I say gm ?
look at the facts slug.
A regional manager at McDonald's earns a better living. FACT
THE PACKAGE CAR DRIVING JOB IS NOT WORTH IT ANYMORE. FACT
I post the facts slug

Attachments

• IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 115

Only if you vote for it.

FACT

You say first year drivers make $45k. Some may but I believe most will make half that. Being laid off after Peak and working 3 or 4 days a week until peak vacations kick in they are making less then a high seniority PT. I know because I have a young driver living in my house because he can not afford anything else. A lot of first year drivers were making more working two jobs PT. Thank you Teamsters.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Did I say gm ?
look at the facts slug.
A regional manager at McDonald's earns a better living. FACT
THE PACKAGE CAR DRIVING JOB IS NOT WORTH IT ANYMORE. FACT
I post the facts slug

OK.

So what is the percentage of McDonald's employees that make it to Regional Manager?

I will bet you that it is astronomically less than how many PTers make it to FT.

And it is Mug, not slug.

Although I have seen and heard that you like to call people names.