Contract raises vs. state minimum wage

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You say first year drivers make $45k. Some may but I believe most will make half that. Being laid off after Peak and working 3 or 4 days a week until peak vacations kick in they are making less then a high seniority PT. I know because I have a young driver living in my house because he can not afford anything else. A lot of first year drivers were making more working two jobs PT. Thank you Teamsters.

Good point about the pay. Although, they are still making more than a FT McDonald's worker, unless you are a Regional Manager.

But contrary to what @anHOURover thinks, there are not that many Regional Managers employed by McDonalds. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than making it to Regional Manager.

At least there is light at the end of the tunnel for 1st year drivers. At McDonalds, you might look forward to making Team Leader and getting $1/hr raise.

At UPS, you look forward to eventually working everyday and making $75-100K/yr.

And the 4 year progression can be changed.

PT Car Washer

Those that don't want it don't get near there. But it is there for most that do want it...unlike at McDonalds.
That is a lot of OT and even the few package delivery drivers that think they want to work that much are soon burned out. The other problem is getting the pick up volume back to the Hub so it can make Feeder commit times. So unless the driver is on a great bonus route it is difficult to make $100k a year for most drivers. Only speaking from my perspective. Feeder drivers on the other hand can put in enough hours to make $100k.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That is a lot of OT and even the few package delivery drivers that think they want to work that much are soon burned out. The other problem is getting the pick up volume back to the Hub so it can make Feeder commit times. So unless the driver is on a great bonus route it is difficult to make $100k a year for most drivers. Only speaking from my perspective. Feeder drivers on the other hand can put in enough hours to make $100k.

Kind of what I meant.

Not hard for a package driver to make $75K or a feeder driver to make $100K.

anHOURover

Kind of what I meant.

Not hard for a package driver to make $75K or a feeder driver to make $100K.
You would be a horrible lawyer
That's all you got?

1 out of 100 part timers makes it to top rate driving.
FACT
FACT
YOU POSTED THIS JUNK SLUG.
YOU BROUGHT UP MCDONALDS.
TAKE A LOOK AROUND AND SEE WHO STARTED PART TIME WITH YOU IS STILL AROUND.
ILL PUT IT OUT THERE SLUG
1 out of 100
FACT

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Because somebody mentioned McDonalds.

Is $15 per hour really going to Bankrupt McD's? Will burgers be 10 bucks? Does a McDonalds worker deserve to make that much.... Dont we all deserve to make a good living and boom our economy? If 68 million people "the amount of people who eat at mcdonalds per day" saw a price increase on thier bill of 33 cents Mcdonalds could pay thier employees 15 per hour and still pocket thier 33 billion dollars of profit. McDonald's has stated it would cost them 8 billion per year. So yeah your cheese burger will be 10 cents higher.

Attachments

• 20171009_120225.png
    20171009_120225.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 96

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Is $15 per hour really going to Bankrupt McD's?

No, but it will probably eliminate jobs.

Does a McDonalds worker deserve to make that much....

Not really.

Fast food chains were never meant to be a place for someone to raise a family of 6, they were to be part time positions with some full-time advancements. Mostly the fast food restaurants were for school aged kids to learn how to interact with people, with a job, to offer spending money, and to begin responsibility learning for their future.

The part time position was not intended to pay for a house, it is a stepping stone to move on.

still pocket thier 33 billion dollars of profit.

You best check your facts again.

You're off by almost 30 Billion.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!

Not really.

Fast food chains were never meant to be a place for someone to raise a family of 6, they were to be part time positions with some full-time advancements. Mostly the fast food restaurants were for school aged kids to learn how to interact with people, with a job, to offer spending money, and to begin responsibility learning for their future.

The part time position was not intended to pay for a house, it is a stepping stone to move on.

I was off by 3. They do 27B a year.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!

Not really.

I was making 12 bucks an hour when i was 14 working on a farm and minimum wage was 5 bucks. Minimum wage is double that now. Does age determine a workers value.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was off by 3. They do 27B a year.

They gross 27B a year. You said 33B in profit.

Here, let me help you out.

33 billion dollars of profit

They only make around 4-5B in profit. I know, I said only. lol

I was making 12 bucks an hour when i was 14 working on a farm and minimum wage was 5 bucks

There are exceptions to everything. If I asked 1000 14 year olds what they were making at the time, what would you expect the answer to be for the majority of them? Sure, 1 or 2 may surprise us, like you did.

Does age determine a workers value.

Nope. I know 40 year olds flipping burgers at McDonalds making $9/hr.

But if you expect a 16 or 18 year old working at McDonalds to expect to make enough money to raise a family, you are crazy.

McDonalds is a low paying, unskilled labor job, mostly PT workers.

Check out the list of low paying FT jobs and tell me what a PT McDonalds worker should be making.

Top Ten Lists :: Lowest Paying Jobs

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
McDonalds is a low paying, unskilled labor job, mostly PT workers.

Check out the list of low paying FT jobs and tell me what a PT McDonalds worker should be making.
Who decided that McDonalds (#112 on the Fortune 500) is a "low paying, unskilled labor job", that are "mostly PT workers"?

Why are we expected to accept that as a business model, while condemning Walmart (#1 on the Fortune 500) for doing the same thing?

Wasn't the 1997 UPS (#46 on the Fortune 500) strike predicated (at least on the surface, to the general public) on beating back "Part-time America"???

I for one, do not accept any of the standards that have today's companies paying the CEO's and upper management first, the stockholders second, then deciding what scraps to throw the front line worker with what's left over after reinvesting.

It's this series of notions that make me hopeful that unions will make a comeback, but I am not holding my breath in the completely hypnotized society we live in.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Who decided that McDonalds (#112 on the Fortune 500) is a "low paying, unskilled labor job", that are "mostly PT workers"?

The workers that took these jobs and the same workers that keep them filled at minimum wage and part time.

Why are we expected to accept that as a business model, while condemning Walmart (#1 on the Fortune 500) for doing the same thing?

The reason that comes to mind may be that McDonalds jobs are "high school" jobs, yes, I know, but the public accepts that, while Walmart jobs are not so much.

The public expects their kids to work at McDonalds for spending money while expecting their spouse to work at Walmart to provide for the family.

Maybe also Walmart earned twice what McDonalds earned so maybe the public feels that they can pay more?

Maybe also that McDonald's pays roughly the same as other fast food restaurants, while Walmart pays considerably less, somewhere around $4/hr less, than other retail stores. And they were considerably less than that, less than what McDonald's paid, until 2015 when the public pressure got to Walmart and they increased their workers pay.

Wasn't the 1997 UPS (#46 on the Fortune 500) strike predicated (at least on the surface, to the general public) on beating back "Part-time America"???

Yes, predicated on....

But the public accepts the high school part time position at McDonalds, not so much at UPS.

I for one, do not accept any of the standards that have today's companies paying the CEO's and upper management first, the stockholders second, then deciding what scraps to throw the front line worker with what's left over after reinvesting.

Me neither. But minimum wage jobs are just that. Minimum wage.

They can join a union and try to change that.

It's this series of notions that make me hopeful that unions will make a comeback, but I am not holding my breath in the completely hypnotized society we live in.

Me too, and I won't either.

The minimum wage worker wants the government to "fix" these minimum wage jobs, the workers themselves don't seem to want to "fight."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Both of my kids worked at Mickey D's. It gave them a sense of responsibility and put some money in their pockets.

Mickey D's is not meant to be a career that can support a family.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Both of my kids worked at Mickey D's. It gave them a sense of responsibility and put some money in their pockets.

Mickey D's is not meant to be a career that can support a family.

Didn't I just say that?