Contract raises vs. state minimum wage

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I disagree.

Even if I was to accept the grossly over simplified logic you're using to discuss macroeconomics, the entire point of your argument is that you don't want people to be paid more because you want to buy crap for cheap. smh.

If a business can't afford to pay a living wage then they shouldn't be in business.
The problem is not the mom and pop companies.... many on my route which do pay quite a bit more than minimum wage.... many have healthcare and some give nice profit sharing or Christmas bonuses... the problem are large multi national corporations that make huge profits trying to get by paying their employees peanuts...that's the issue... and yes they can certainly afford to pay their employees many more dollars an hour higher than minimum wage!!!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The problem is not the mom and pop companies.... many on my route which do pay quite a bit more than minimum wage.... many have healthcare and some give nice profit sharing or Christmas bonuses... the problem are large multi national corporations that make huge profits trying to get by paying their employees peanuts...that's the issue... and yes they can certainly afford to pay their employees many more dollars an hour higher than minimum wage!!!
IMG_2118.GIF

Faceplanted

If companies reduced the massive gap between upper managment and the actual workers they would be able to pay workers more. Share holders and massive massive unnecessary profits is the problem with this world.

Corporate greed is the issue with fair wages.

PT Car Washer

It's not what you think you a deserved to be paid.

It is how much a company is willing to pay you.

Don't like it, find another job.
Where am I going to find another PT job that pays $33.60/hr, 7 weeks paid vacation, free healthcare and a pension to stand around watching a young PT sup work?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Where am I going to find another PT job that pays $33.60/hr, 7 weeks paid vacation, free healthcare and a pension to stand around watching a young PT sup work?

If the company is willing to pay you that, and you are happy with your pay, stay right where you are at.

I was actually referring to the people making $10/hr complaining about their low pay. If the company is not willing to pay you anymore, and you think you deserve more, go find another job.

It is not the governments job to tell a company how much to pay an employee.

MAKAVELI

If the company is willing to pay you that, and you are happy with your pay, stay right where you are at.

I was actually referring to the people making $10/hr complaining about their low pay. If the company is not willing to pay you anymore, and you think you deserve more, go find another job.

It is not the governments job to tell a company how much to pay an employee.
Um yes it is. Otherwise that $10 would probably be $5.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
43 million people in poverty according to your link. Vast majority of jobs or not, that's a freaking embarrassment for this country.

I agree.

Although it is not the vast majority, it is still too many.

But the answer is not raising the minimum wage. It does not work.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Um yes it is. Otherwise that $10 would probably be $5.

Um, no it`s not.

It`s the market, the companies and the unions who should decide, not the government.

UPS is already running into the problem of keeping employees at $10/hr.

They may have to increase their wages without the help of the government to keep employees.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Um, no it`s not.

It`s the market, the companies and the unions who should decide, not the government.

UPS is already running into the problem of keeping employees at $10/hr.

They may have to increase their wages without the help of the government to keep employees.
UPS compensates new hires at far more than $10 an hour, the amount paid into health and welfare probably exceeds the hourly wage. The problem is people are short-sighted.