Contract talks !!!!!! STRIKE !!!!!!

stink219

I personally think its a major scare tactic. So let's say UPS asks for the 90 bucks. They are hoping you'll be happy with the minimal raise that they offer to reduce or remove the 90 bucks. The key here is lets try being a union again. Some of us has always been, some on here are selfish (anti union). As a steward, there is a saying I live by. "Never let down. Never let up. Never forget. Never take no for an answer. Because eventually the answer will come back YES!!"

foundinload

let's see what kind of offer comes out of the negotiations first. if the offer is unacceptable, then we need to consider the next step.

the thing that we can control right now is our preparation for august 1st. from 1997 i remember that the only people that got paid during the strike were those who scheduled vacation weeks at that time. this is something to keep in mind when vacation selection begins in a few weeks.

barnyard

KTM rider
Until you walk in Scott's shoes, you don't know what his daily challenges are.
Guessing doesn't make it so.

Chances are, that during the failed TNT purchase, Scott and those directly under him worked many 60-70 hour weeks. Us being critical of his salary is the same as a 7-11 clerk being critical of our pay.

I do agree that he saw a pay increase, that would make a pay decrease for us counter-intuitive.

rod

Retired 22 years
let's see what kind of offer comes out of the negotiations first. if the offer is unacceptable, then we need to consider the next step.

the thing that we can control right now is our preparation for august 1st. from 1997 i remember that the only people that got paid during the strike were those who scheduled vacation weeks at that time. this is something to keep in mind when vacation selection begins in a few weeks.

I predict they will say its their first/ last and best offer.
:wink2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Too late. Picked our vacations in November. I checked my sock drawer, I'm good.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The Fed has been paying for CDL training as part of employment retraining for the unemployed for years. Because of that, there is a glut of CDL holders. Granted they cannot drive for crap, but they do have a CDL.

Finding a driving job that pays more than $50K a year is really, really hard. I have been looking since September.

Regardless, until there is a strike vote, there cannot be a strike.

No one will give you a job without at least 2 years of CDL driving experience. With CSA2010 they are also looking for a good safety record. Sure, working for most any major carrier won't produce more than $50k/yr because we are at the top of the hill on wages. You would need to go independent to get anywhere near what we make. Or, head to North Dakota where they are paying upwards of $28/hr for drivers. UPS would be more than foolish to replace our seasoned Feeder drivers with fresh meat from the Fed retraining grinder as it would probably end the free pass they more or less get from CMV Enforcement & that can cost the Company it's permit to operate in this new era.

Yes at some point the membership will have to authorize a strike before one can ever take place. As in 1997, if the offer is so bad (as it is right now) you won't be voting it up or down, you'll be voting to authorize a strike.

A

anonymous6

i say bring on a strike. i have been saving since 1997.

look up greed in the dictionary. it shows the UPS logo.

A

anonymous6

I hope that we don't strike but there is always thatpossibility that’s why it would be smart to have a plan “b” just in case. Ithink the company would like to bust the union.. they are try to dumb down ourjobs for a reason you know, take the skill away any anyone off of the streetcan do our job.

i think their real timetable will be one or two contracts down the road. they don't have all their ducks in a row for this one. but they may well be " testing the waters" now.

MFR2010

You are a sad individual undies. How many ft union employees would have a job after the strike? We’re losing volume everywhere to Fedex and other smaller carriers, and that's just on price. Can you imagine if we were to strike how many shippers would never return? All those idiots who say to start saving, more than half of us won’t have a job to go back to, so you better havea half a million saved up. What about all the young guys who are starting out with new families, and can’t afford to lose this job. UPS needs to make a profit and better that profit all the time to keep the people who own us happy .UPS cannot wait until we start making less to make concessions, or UPS is going to be in some trouble. My wife wants kids, I tell her not until I finish grad school, I have no faith in the union keeping my job around to support a family. I think of my brother who works here and just had a kid, my father who retired from here, there going to be really hurting if we strike. Competition is real tough in this industry. I know anyone who drives sees the decline in volume delivery and pickup. It’s obvious UPS cannot compete with Fedex or we wouldn’t be losing accounts so fast, so giving back a little might be the key to gaining more full-time jobs are unions want. Look at the amount of full-time jobs were losing, and it's not because of sure post. My center has lost around eight driving jobs in the past seven years, pretty scary. This job is not that difficult, if you think it is, your either too dumb to make it easy or have never been around. We make a lot of money and have an excellent benefit package, paying a little to keep the back of my truck full and money in my accounts doesn’t seem like such a bad idea. Talking about a strike on an open forum where customers can see or be told by the competition is also foolish.Why would you want to scare accounts way talking about striking? Sorry about the rant but man you people really need to get out in the world and see how good you have it. I only worried about those degenerate Fedex drivers taking away a future here for me, stupid me for not worrying about the union I pay to protect me.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You are a sad individual undies. How many ft union employees would have a job after the strike? We’re losing volume everywhere to Fedex and other smaller carriers, and that's just on price. Can you imagine if we were to strike how many shippers would never return? All those idiots who say to start saving, more than half of us won’t have a job to go back to, so you better havea half a million saved up. What about all the young guys who are starting out with new families, and can’t afford to lose this job. UPS needs to make a profit and better that profit all the time to keep the people who own us happy .UPS cannot wait until we start making less to make concessions, or UPS is going to be in some trouble. My wife wants kids, I tell her not until I finish grad school, I have no faith in the union keeping my job around to support a family. I think of my brother who works here and just had a kid, my father who retired from here, there going to be really hurting if we strike. Competition is real tough in this industry. I know anyone who drives sees the decline in volume delivery and pickup. It’s obvious UPS cannot compete with Fedex or we wouldn’t be losing accounts so fast, so giving back a little might be the key to gaining more full-time jobs are unions want. Look at the amount of full-time jobs were losing, and it's not because of sure post. My center has lost around eight driving jobs in the past seven years, pretty scary. This job is not that difficult, if you think it is, your either too dumb to make it easy or have never been around. We make a lot of money and have an excellent benefit package, paying a little to keep the back of my truck full and money in my accounts doesn’t seem like such a bad idea. Talking about a strike on an open forum where customers can see or be told by the competition is also foolish.Why would you want to scare accounts way talking about striking? Sorry about the rant but man you people really need to get out in the world and see how good you have it. I only worried about those degenerate Fedex drivers taking away a future here for me, stupid me for not worrying about the union I pay to protect me.

People like this are the reason unions have lost so much power. This person would have either tried scaring other employees before the '97 strike, or would have crossed the picket line.

kingOFchester

Record profits.
Trips that I did 4 years ago are going out with 10-20% more work. Is the volume leaving, or are we doing more work with less trips?
Record profits.
Growth has been seen in our more profitable deliveries.
Record profits.
Union has given in on progression time.
Record profits.
Union has given on longer time to get health insurance.
Record profits.
Less then desirable raises for a company that has seen higher profits.
Record profits.
part timers making what they made 20 years ago.
Record profits.

MFR2010

If we went on strike in 2013, what do you think UPS would look like after? Do you think we will have gained anything? The last strike only hurt UPS and the union. All those full-time jobs the union wanted, and were losing more every year as the volume goes bye bye.

MFR2010

I'm not saying to give up everything, but if it comes down to a few dollars for insurance lets not be stupid. I just wished the Teamsters looked at the long term health of the company and not just big gains on the current contract.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I have at least 3 jobs lined up making similar pay with all benefits paid. What the company offered is insulting.

I guess u want wages cut no benefits and us to pay for our trucks and maintenance. Just to compete with fedex ground. Just because fed ex drivers settle for crap wages and won't fight doesn't mean I have to.

kingOFchester

Not to mention UPS stock is the highest it has been since may of 2006......during a contract year at that!! The stock has not been this high in over 6 years!!!

WE helped in the rise of the stock. It is/was our sweat, our bodies, our dedication, our blood, our UNION that made the profits. That got the stock where it is today. Look at the dividends paid since 2003
2003 .92
2004 1.12
2005 1.32
2006 1.52
2007 1.68
2008 1.80
2009 1.80
2010 1.88
2011 2.08
2010 2.28

Concessions my ass.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If we went on strike in 2013, what do you think UPS would look like after? Do you think we will have gained anything? The last strike only hurt UPS and the union. All those full-time jobs the union wanted, and were losing more every year as the volume goes bye bye.

You must be a sup.

Volume is most certainly way up. My center is running around the same number of routes as 5-6 years ago. Those routes are going out with way more work.

Go quote ups and FedEx online you'll get almost identical prices.

I agree a strike could cripple the company but they are digging their own grave. What they have proposed is unacceptable.