Contract talks !!!!!! STRIKE !!!!!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Why are some of you arguing with each other? You should be pulling together and collectively advising each other how to prepare for worst.

If your one of those "we are a liability to the company people" , then this isnt the thread for you to post in. The nature of negotiations is complicated, and those complications have risks.

Todays "risks" mirror those of 1997. The company is standing the same ground they stood on in 97. All indications so far from the company is that "they" are not prepared to deal squarely based upon the successes of the company over the last 8 years.

They have abandoned the "give and take" and presented a "TAKE" offer only.

If you think otherwise, then youre foolish.

Lets stop the HYPERBOLE of this conversation and move on to helping each other cope and deal with the next few months. You have a short time to prepare. 5 months will be here before you know it.

As for you scaredy cats running with your tails between your legs ready to give up what 100 years of UPS workers earned for you in past negotiations, I say, this is the wrong place for cowards.

We have to not only look at our situations presently, but also, the people that follow behind us. You CANT have an attitude that "I already have mine" and screw the rest.

It doesnt work like that. Just because your a short timer ready to pull the pin, doesnt mean your pension is guaranteed. If there are brothers and sisters behind you doing the job contributing to the fund, YOUR pension is in jeopardy.

Dollar in for Dollar out. Without this principle, YOUR pensions will go broke.

Just because you walk out with 35 years under your belt isnt confirmation that you will recieve your checks forever. YOU need a part timer and a full timer behind you tugging the line, and they need someone tugging the line behind them.

Plan, plan plan. Be prepared. Talk is cheap so stop arguing.

This company is strong enough to afford all of us. If they would just stop wasting millions of dollars on useless managers who dont manage, and IE guys who never did the jobs, we would have tons of profit to spread around to the people who make this business what it is today.

Peace

TOS

LagunaBrown

I'm not saying to give up everything, but if it comes down to a few dollars for insurance lets not be stupid. I just wished the Teamsters looked at the long term health of the company and not just big gains on the current contract.

Go into management.

ups clerk

Go into management.

Just a few dollars for insurance?? We are talking 90 dollars a week for family. For part timers that would devastating. It would half of their pay check on top of union dues being taken out once a month. Now who is stupid.You have to be mgmt or you should go in mgmt.

ups clerk

What's to say even if we don't strike (which I do believe that hall will do) that the evil brown empire doesn't lock us out? That is if they are wanting to test the new "idiot proof" EDD and PAS systems to see if they can replace us. Looks like there will be a uptick in roofing nails purchases ......BC
First of all, there wont be a STRIKE...because the stock holders won't let the company to allow the union to go on strike. They will tell UPS to give the union what they want and let's go back to work.

LagunaBrown

Go into management.

Just a few dollars for insurance?? We are talking 90 dollars a week for family. For part timers that would devastating. It would half of their pay check on top of union dues being taken out once a month. Now who is stupid.You have to be mgmt or you should go in mgmt.

I was telling him to go into management. If guys are panicing now what will they do at crunch time. There still is plenty of time for the contract to be settled as well as time to save for my "August vacation fund".

MFR2010

If we went on strike I think we can agree there would be a lot of jobs lost at UPS. That would also be a big hit to the Teamsters too, so they might try their best to prevent a strike also.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I have enough in the bank in savings to support me and a few brothers for two weeks. Just got my tax return check too so I still get to pay for my big vacation before Aug. Not worried about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have enough in the bank in savings to support me and a few brothers for two weeks. Just got my tax return check too so I still get to pay for my big vacation before Aug. Not worried about it.

When you say "brothers" I hope you are referring to those to whom you are related, not your co-workers. It is February---anyone who has not taken the time and effort to set aside some money between now and August are on their own as far as I'm concerned.

What everybody fails to realize is when we were hired they broke down Our pay by the hour !!! I forget the figures but it was so much an hour goes to benefits so much an hour goes To pension and so much an hour goes in your pocket !! So we pay for benefits and have been paying for them whole time !!!!!! No concessions When a companies making billions of dollars a year with your back and legs doing it ! Stay strong brothers and sisters stick together !!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They break down the numbers to show our total compensation package. They could add those figures to our paychecks and then deduct them to show what our true net pay is but you are wrong when you state that we pay for our benefits as we do not----the company pays for our benefits and pension contributions.

QKRSTKR

hall is coming by next Sunday. I'll sit down with him and discuss all the concerns here on BC. I'm gonna have to race from the father daughter dance down to the hall. But it'll be worth it.

A strike will be devastating for everyone involved. I was here in '97, it wasn't fun. And we did loose a lot of volume.

I don't understand why people say concessions or we are loosing volume. Record profits. 4.36 billion net. After all the bills are paid. That's a crap load of $$$$$. More than big brown has ever made.

the problem is the stock holders. Who is that you ask? Companies like Office Depot, and other big corps. They don't care about you or me. All they care about is $$$$.

Ups isn't going to give us everything right away. We all knew this was coming with the health care. We need to beat it down for sure. Even if its only $5 a week. Cause that's how it starts. $5, then $10, $20, $40, $80, and so on. It's called negotiations. Not here you go. It's February, it's a pissin match. We ll have to see who stops 1st.

Lastly, if you don't have at least 3-6 months of your total monthly expenses saved in a bank account, your living a fools life. We make enough to do this with ease.

QKRSTKR

They break down the numbers to show our total compensation package. They could add those figures to our paychecks and then deduct them to show what our true net pay is but you are wrong when you state that we pay for our benefits as we do not----the company pays for our benefits and pension contributions.

I agree with you, but we do work for our benefits, pension, and pay.

iruhnman630

If we went on strike I think we can agree there would be a lot of jobs lost at UPS.
Power to the people. Rah, rah.

No, most here would not agree about the lost jobs, but a few would prefer losing everything over losing a little.. That is what bothers me about all the cheer leading 6 months out.

I don't agree on everything about the union. If calling me a scab because of those differing opinions makes some here feel better about themselves when they look in the mirror, that's unfortunate but have at it.

But make no mistake about it...if Aug 1st I'm told we're going on strike, I'll be out there earning my $35/week.

I'm particularly troubled by the companies turn against the part-time work force. They are destroying what once was a prized part-time job.

Upstatenyupers !!!! You're wrong we pay for our benefits I go to work every day and punch the clock don't you !!?!!! The company pays you every week with a paycheck Just like your benefits and pension contributions You work for them !! Which means you pay for them !!! Think about it !!! We all work for everything that we get!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstatenyupers !!!! You're wrong we pay for our benefits I go to work every day and punch the clock don't you !!?!!! The company pays you every week with a paycheck Just like your benefits and pension contributions You work for them !! Which means you pay for them !!! Think about it !!! We all work for everything that we get!!!

We do work for them but we do not pay for them---the company pays for our benefits and pensions.

Look on your most recent paystub---do you see any deductions for healthcare premiums or pension contributions?

Are you that dumb if you look at the contract it says what contributions you get for your pension how much they pay for your benefits and that's all part of your hourly package that you work for Come on man get your head out of your ass