Conveyor accident at UPS

Whither

Scofflaw
Whoa. My neck of the woods. Apparently it's a Mail Innovations building, had no idea about it.

The article has since been updated to say the man was a "contractor" and was rushed to the nearby hospital. Firefighters performed CPR on him en route. Bet we won't hear about it in PCM tmrw.

Package Stick

"Send it."
Imagine being the traumatized part-timer who just pushed the button and inadvertently killed this guy and then being told to get back to work 10 minutes later.
I have had supervisors NOT follow conveyer securing. I secured a belt and a supervisor unsecured it. I shrugged it off once.

I yell at everyone that is stupid around these belts, I have been sucked in (was being stupid!), it's not a pleasant feeling.

Integrity

Binge Poster
We've been having issue with our contracted mechanics at our building, not following certain procedures. Hope this is a wake-up call to slow down repairs. They are not a pit crew, the cardboard can wait.
Although necessary to understand the general lack of safety compliance enforcement by the management in the Maintenance Department, I think it is only fair to the dead person to not pass judgement on specific accidents until we know the details of the accident in question.

We know from experience that UPS has a blame the worker mentality when dealing with conveyor accidents yet never really are forthcoming with the actual details of what actually happened. (They never explained what actually happened to our deceased coworker Andy in the Lexington Kentucky conveyor fatality.)

IMHO
We should always give the injured or killed brother the benefit of the doubt until we know for sure what exactly happened .

Integrity

Binge Poster
sad story. would like to know rest of story. we were pounded and pounded on conveyor safety procedures.
I agree. I would like to know the rest of the story.

Training in word but not in deed.

I witnessed countless unsafe conveyor practices in my years. I have also witnessed Maintenance Management observe some of them and take no action.

Integrity

Binge Poster
yes I know. read the article.
contractors also have to know the safety procedures. a conveyor contractor probably knows them better than we do.
It is my opinion based upon my experience that in my Local where subcontracting is not the rule but the exception UPS maintenance workers are far superior in their knowledge of UPS Safety Practices.

Unfortunately I have observed a wide disparity in safety compliance among the maintenance mechanics.

I have also observed very little management enforcement until something bad has already happened.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Probably didn’t lock out/tag out. Went to work on the belt, someone came along and didn’t know because it wasn’t properly locked out and threw the switch.
This is often time the conclusion that is true however this is an unfair assumption. There are many repairs or parts of repairs on conveyors that have to be done while the conveyors are not locked out and “live”.

The are called “live conveyor repairs” and they have specific very detailed methods and there is inherent dangers in these types of repairs and there is also a pattern of noncompliance and misapplication of some of the “live conveyor repair” methods.

That is why IMHO knowing exactly what happened is important to the dignity of the injured or deceased and to the truth behind the specific incident.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Absolutely. Lock out procedures were not followed.

The year I bid an inside job, I was lock out certified. And, every contractor that came in, had their own lock out certified workers.
Do you know the details of the incident to make this statement?

Maybe it was a live conveyor repair that went wrong? I don’t know.

Please share any details you may have to shed truth on this sad incident.

Integrity

Binge Poster
No particulars whatsoever in the article.
Getting particulars other than quick blurbs that IMO are meant to focus the blame on the worker are not easy to come by when conveyor accidents happen.

In the past I have been significantly discouraged by management from seeking too much detail when trying to find out what exactly took place that resulted in conveyor accidents.