Could you ever see unions making a large comeback and expanding membership?

PT Car Washer

Yeah, I just don't many 0 available. I mean a lot of places actually have 0.
We have a lot of one belt metal sheds in my state. 20+ delivery drivers, a handful of loaders in the AM, a couple in the PM and they share a Center manger with 3 or 4 other metal sheds on a gravel lot. Local implement dealer does all of the package car maintenance.

wilberforce15

We have a lot of one belt metal sheds in my state. 20+ delivery drivers, a handful of loaders in the AM, a couple in the PM and they share a Center manger with 3 or 4 other metal sheds on a gravel lot. Local implement dealer does all of the package car maintenance.
Yep. But there are also bigger ones. 100 full time regular package car guys. Or more. But they're right next to a hub, and the hub as all the feeder spots in the region.

PT Car Washer

Yep. But there are also bigger ones. 100 full time regular package car guys. Or more. But they're right next to a hub, and the hub as all the feeder spots in the region.
Not trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I think that is the plan to dived the membership into as many groups as the company and Union can. FT vs PT, 22.3, 22.2, 22.4, car washers, Feeder washers, Porters.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I pay union dues out of principle. But I'm on year 18 without a write-up. I come to work. I do a half-butted job. And that's plenty. For a part-timer who shows up and does a little bit, there is just no reason at all to join.

Being a union member helps when I really need to press the issue on sups working or something. But for a new guy? I don't even know what he'd get out of it.
You'd be out the door if this was run like FedEx

Trailer monkey

RTW laws only matter if young guys don't see any benefit to joining.

It's the union's job for there to be a benefit to joining.

A UPS part-timer has absolutely no reason to care or join.
Maybe a very short term part-timer, but once they are getting full benefits, earning pension credit and gaining seniority, they have no excuse for not paying dues

wilberforce15

Maybe a very short term part-timer, but once they are getting full benefits, earning pension credit and gaining seniority, they have no excuse for not paying dues

Why should a part timer care about benefits? Most are young enough to be on their parents insurance or poor enough for medicaid. And they don't need medical care much anyway.

They'll never get a pension and they know it. That's 40 years away.

They can get 15/hr anywhere, and most work elsewhere is easier.

Seniority doesn't do anything for them either.

NYJetsfan87

Something I’ve been wondering about considering new polls show public support is at an all time high.

Would oh say it’s even possible given the circumstances we’re in like unions being legislated against like the Taft Hartley act , right to work laws , etc…

Speaking as a current union member , a co worker and friends of many union members I would say a lot of people are losing faith in the union. Corruption , bankrupt pensions , etc is rampant. I can depend on my union. They are strong and there for the members when you need them. Which is good. But they aren’t nearly as strong as they used to be. Even though they will fight for you and save your job if management comes after you they let a lot go. There is a full time supervisor that doesn’t pay people right , threatens the members, doesn’t follow seniority , doesn’t put in the vacations correctly and nothing happens to him. He’s been sat down by HR and security so many times I lost count. Back in the day the union would have had this guy fired or transferred a long time ago . He was already thrown out of two buildings in NY and throw off the twilight in my building but allegedly because the management teams didn’t want to work with him not because of the union. Now , not only is he not fired but he’s going around telling people he might get promoted ? Scary. Mind you I don’t think he can read or write . And if he could it’s limited. So for reasons like him I would say yes we need unions. How bad would management people like that become if we didn’t have protection ?

Trailer monkey

Why should a part timer care about benefits? Most are young enough to be on their parents insurance or poor enough for medicaid. And they don't need medical care much anyway.

They'll never get a pension and they know it. That's 40 years away.

They can get 15/hr anywhere, and most work elsewhere is easier.

Seniority doesn't do anything for them either.
You just made my point, for the short term part-timer there are perhaps better jobs
I don't what building you work in, in mine seniority is enforced

wilberforce15

You just made my point, for the short term part-timer there are perhaps better jobs
I don't what building you work in, in mine seniority in enforced
There is also no point in joining for a long term part timer. Maybe for some there is still a point in staying at the company. But union dues don't buy anything.

If you show up to work, your job will never need protection. It's not like driving.

Seniority is enforced, but it doesn't get you anything meaningful.

Trailer monkey

There is also no point in joining for a long term part timer. Maybe for some there is still a point in staying at the company. But union dues don't buy anything.

If you show up to work, your job will never need protection. It's not like driving.

Seniority is enforced, but it doesn't get you anything meaningful.
A long term part-timer has benefits at a level that no other part-time job in the country has and the ability to bid prefered jobs
A long part-timer does need protection, from abusive managers, false accusation and production harassment. Non-union companies fire loyal, long term employees everyday because they can't produce at a level they once did or have struggled with illness, and companies are not afraid of ADA or age discrimination lawsuits.

wilberforce15

A long term part-timer has benefits at a level that no other part-time job in the country has and the ability to bid prefered jobs
A long part-timer does need protection, from abusive managers, false accusation and production harassment. Non-union companies fire loyal, long term employees everyday because they can't produce at a level they once did or have struggled with illness, and companies are not afraid of ADA or age discrimination lawsuits.
I've never seen a part timer who showed up reasonably often have a discipline or firing problem. Could just be my area.

There are reasons for family men or small business owner types to stay long term. But here, I only join and pay dues out of principle because I support unions, and I file a lot on Sups working. Not really any reason here for people to join. So they don't.