Cover driver tcd seniority on topic

Hello everyone! I have a question I haven’t asked anybody in my center yet, thought you might help. I’m sure it’s been gone over in other threads but I was wondering how seniority is handled amongst the cover drivers. Can’t seem to find it specifically in the contract. If there is a route open to run can management staff a lower seniority cover driver If a qualified cover driver with more seniority is willing to run this said route? Can a higher seniority qualified cover driver bump a lower seniority cover driver from a route if they choose to do so?

Thegameisrigged

Hello everyone! I have a question I haven’t asked anybody in my center yet, thought you might help. I’m sure it’s been gone over in other threads but I was wondering how seniority is handled amongst the cover drivers. Can’t seem to find it specifically in the contract. If there is a route open to run can management staff a lower seniority cover driver If a qualified cover driver with more seniority is willing to run this said route? Can a higher seniority qualified cover driver bump a lower seniority cover driver from a route if they choose to do so?
You surly can take that route. If they refuse, write a grievance the following day for the time that lower seniority driver worked.

Siveriano

i believe it is mentioned on article 45 section2 paragraph c.
quote the contract and have a witness then grieve if everything keeps happening. in almost 4 years at UPS i never grieve b4 but since the day my manager told me that "drivers dont get to choose what they want to do, im the one who calls the shots" i grieve about 9 times in a period of 2 weeks. had the union with the HR director come for a hearing on a harassment grieve and my manager was told that i was the top cover driver so that b4 they offer an open route to anyone bellow me they must get with me first.
keep it cool, quite the contract then grieve. ull see how ez they go from "you have to dp this route" to "cqn you help us today with this route"

Thank you everyone I do appreciate the advice. I will start by finding out who my shop sterward is, (I know I know I should know who my steward is) I have been reading the contract a lot lately since I am fairly new yet to the way everything works. I am young and this is my first union job. I’m very happy to have this job and I am starting to plan for my future. There are some days when I get an air route or other pt work when I rather have a full day driving and I see drivers lower than me in seniority getting that days work when I feel I’m fully capable of covering these routes. It’s not that I want to take work from my fellow workers I just want to have an idea how much my seniority as a cover driver weighs in my favor. ,, the other day I experienced my first bump from a ft driver. I was suppose to cover a route that I run pretty regularly and I was approached by him and he told me he was going to bump me and take this route for the day and I got stuck covering his route that was dispatched heavy. I just wanted to get an idea if I have the same ability to bump cover drivers below me. Thanks again! I really appreciate all advice and tips. I always show my respect to the senior drivers.

Siveriano

always claim ur senirorty. if u let them push u around they will never respect it. i have a saying " if im gonna eat :censored2: then it has to be because i choose to do so" at the start they will try to tell u no. get ur union rep. they will say the other guu dont know the route, they will say they will owe u one etc etc etc at the end of the day nothing will matter to them.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Thank you everyone I do appreciate the advice. I will start by finding out who my shop sterward is, (I know I know I should know who my steward is) I have been reading the contract a lot lately since I am fairly new yet to the way everything works. I am young and this is my first union job. I’m very happy to have this job and I am starting to plan for my future. There are some days when I get an air route or other pt work when I rather have a full day driving and I see drivers lower than me in seniority getting that days work when I feel I’m fully capable of covering these routes. It’s not that I want to take work from my fellow workers I just want to have an idea how much my seniority as a cover driver weighs in my favor. ,, the other day I experienced my first bump from a ft driver. I was suppose to cover a route that I run pretty regularly and I was approached by him and he told me he was going to bump me and take this route for the day and I got stuck covering his route that was dispatched heavy. I just wanted to get an idea if I have the same ability to bump cover drivers below me. Thanks again! I really appreciate all advice and tips. I always show my respect to the senior drivers.

So are you saying a cover driver with more seniority bumped you from the route you were on? Both of you worked on the same day?

Cover drivers cannot bump to cover a certain route. If both are working they work as assigned. At least that is how it works here.

Also a friend/T bidded driver cannot come off his/her route (his/her route is in) to bump you off a route.

barnyard

KTM rider
Cover drivers cannot bump to cover a certain route. If both are working they work as assigned. At least that is how it works here.
That is the way it is done here. I was the #1 cover in my building and did bump people off routes that I preferred.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
That is the way it is done here. I was the #1 cover in my building and did bump people off routes that I preferred.

I thought about the post I made late last night and it has just not been an issue in my building.

Most of them just ask to switch between each other and then its just another day on the road.