cover driver to fulltime driver

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are in the same local and are governed by the same language yet there are no TCD's in my center. We use casuals who are not guaranteed to work everyday nor are guaranteed 8 hours when they do work. We recently had a PTer who became a casual driver for Peak. I will curious to see if he is allowed to go back to PT after Peak or if he will be the lowest seniority casual who will be lucky to work at all Jan-Mar.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If he isn't scheduled 2 days a week, and they refuse him access to his old job, he can grieve. That's not how I would handle that particular situation. I would file for unemployment. Make a lot more money, as it's based on driver pay, not belt pay. We just had a casual fired for swearing. He called me and I told him to file. B.S.(OMG, I never realized exactly what his initials looked like, hehehehe) refused his back pay, but UPS approved his unemployment. I told him to let sleeping dogs lay on that one. enjoy that open claim that you report on every week. He has made his money back and then some.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

File on what? Our casuals do not have the 8 hour guarantee and are not guaranteed to work every day, let alone 2 days a week. They are not TCD's in my center--they are casuals and work only when needed.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Read your contract. The area I have already quoted. I was a steward how was face to face with B.S. and Hammond. They didn't agree with me. I showed both the contract and informed Hammond I would be going the council if he chose to not do his job. Now, the casuals at Black River, which is in the same local and governed under the same supplements, are given an 8 hour guarantee when driving and do not have to work preload when working 2 days a week or more. Just because no one has the cajones to stand up and go on the radar for what's right, isn't my problem. I stood up at Black River and now they honor the contractual rights of pt casuals. On the radar. That's how I roll.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do yourself a favor and re-read page 214. I will put the paragraph that I think applies to my center here:

Casuals still remaining on the payroll who have job opportunity dates shall be paid 65% of the top rate of package car drivers.

Also read section G which talks about job opportunity dates, holidays and injuries for casuals.

menotyou

bella amicizia
C)Part-time emplotees working as a Temporary Cover Drivers will do so for a minimum of one week at at time and will be guaranteed a minimum of two days planned coverage per week that they are working as a TCD. ALL pt cover drivers working in package or feeder classification shall be guaranteed eight(8) hours per day.

D) Part time employees working as TCD's shall maintain their p-t benefits and entitlements.

As I said, re-read. As a Josie Union and former steward, I realize I don't have the knowledge base of our beloved Resident-Know-It-All, but B.S. in Syracuse bought the argument. He is OUR​ labor sup. Do you know more that him, too?

rocket man

Not trying to start an arguement but I still dont think you are right about this. I am a cover driver, and I do have my seniority. I am however the low guy. I am not scheduled everyday, I am "ON CALL" so how am I guaranteed 8 hours daily?
as soon as you show up in uniform and they didnt tell you the day befor not to come in you 1000pct say you are staying you want your 8hrs they will find somthing for you to do, or they will say want 4 to 6 hours it will be a cake day

menotyou

bella amicizia
Not trying to start an arguement but I still dont think you are right about this. I am a cover driver, and I do have my seniority. I am however the low guy. I am not scheduled everyday, I am "ON CALL" so how am I guaranteed 8 hours daily?
Upstate/West NY supplemental agreement. Appendix A, Article C.

HULKAMANIA

Yeah I will tell you whats really rotten. Is management offering upper drivers days off so they can "GET ME IN" OH like they are doing me a FAVOR. The ONLY reason they was doing that was to keep them from having to pay unemployment. Personally I dont think that is fair, or right in anyway shape or form. Getting me in for one day gets me 100 bucks-YEAH that really HELPS pay bills let me tell you.

Menotyou-Since you know the language really well, I know we are in different parts of the country but is what they are even doing to me even considered "allowable?" I went 4 weeks with 4 days of work. I am ON CALL every single day, they wont let me preload, or local sort since I have no inside seniority. I GUARANTEE YOU that changes after the first of the year and Im not driving at all for months. I bet you then they try to get me to loading or unloading cars and Im not going to do it. Im going to stick it to them and tell them YOU guys told me that Im not allowed to do that. I always told myself I wouldnt do the unemployment but with the way they screwed me Im going to. I just want to know my rights, nobody informs you of ANYTHING with this job. You cant rely on management to ever do the RIGHT thing and keep from screwing someone. Then they wonder why drivers "DO NOTHING BUT COMPLAIN."

Can someone please tell me the ins and outs of how unemployment works? Say you do get on unemployment whos to say they wont call you in the middle of the week and say HEY we need you to come in after you have already filed? See I have a feeling what they have been doing to me is so totally wrong but I have no idea of finding out for sure? I have talked to the steward in shop and he doesnt know. So any help would be appreciated.

AKX

Hulk, not sure of all your details and such but there is such a thing as partial unemployment. You can make x amount for the week and still receive a unemployment check for a lesser amount. You report each week your hours or wages.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Hulk, what does your supplement say? That us where the wording is that would affect you. I only have our wording. I wish I could help you. Maybe, someone could PM the language to me. I would decifer it for you. Probably gonna have to know you're specific area as far as contractual. Not your specific local.