Coverage drive 2nd job

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yep keep missing your kids games and paying for that big house u never live in. I know 2 retired drivers and they are FD up- knees and shoulders can't enjoy retirement. There more to life than being a delivery boy.
It's a choice we all make. I decided to take this job knowing damn well I will miss a lot of stuff over the years. I'm comfortable with that choice.

It doesn't sound like you made the right choice.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I wanna be a damn part timer till my son is a tad older I got some seniority and am still relied on for every schedule change and driver call in sick I should just be able to pass it on to the 2 guys underneath me once in awhile.

Seniority affords you the right to work, not the right not to work.

Yep keep missing your kids games and paying for that big house u never live in. I know 2 retired drivers and they are FD up- knees and shoulders can't enjoy retirement. There more to life than being a delivery boy.

Funny, I was a 'delivery boy' for 34+ years, made most of my boys' events and my knees and shoulders are just fine.

Quit whining.

HoffaLives

The Circus is Hiring
Good for you then management here runs us late. The whole 9 5 thing is joke cause not all the drivers are on board - too scared to file a grievance. And yes there are some cake routes be grateful if you are one of those drivers. It's not that way all around.

HoffaLives

The Circus is Hiring
Thanks brown slave for always trying to answer my questions and no thanks to the others who have no idea what the hell is going on.

HoffaLives

The Circus is Hiring
Last words - according to management it's OK when the 2ndcoverage driver behind me is gone cause he has a second job. So therefore it seems in order for my seniority to count I have to get a second job? Stupid. Oh well only time will tell.

Last edited:

trickpony1

The members of this forum can't seem to help you.
Your Steward/union can't seem to help you.

If the rules regarding seniority, and the application thereof, are in print and easily understood then you may want to file with the NLRB.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Seems like people are giving him a lot of grief over this post, said he has custody of his son.

I'm married with a working wife and it's tough making everything work with two of us...Can't imagine trying to do it all by myself with a driving job.

Re-Raise

Adulting is hard. You get to go home after work and you don't have to work weekends. Use your vacations and 8hr requests. Otherwise expect to show up and work the job you accepted. You aren't the only single UPS driver with children.

CanOSup

One of them
Seems like people are giving him a lot of grief over this post, said he has custody of his son.

I'm married with a working wife and it's tough making everything work with two of us...Can't imagine trying to do it all by myself with a driving job.
I could be mistaken, but Nobody forced him into this job. If its not feasible for him, maybe its time to revaluate his current employment.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
There are enough guys in my building looking to just collect a check. How is it your co-workers responsibility to care for your child? Tell them like I'm telling you now, Come to work! I have 4 children and a wife that also works. It's tough. But do you honestly expect the job to work around you?

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Is it my imagination or is the younger crowd more concerned about "time off" than actually working?
It is amazing the amount of drivers that will work 2 or 3 days a week. I could understand if these were veterans but these are newbies.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
A long time ago my uncle told me about his supervisor questioning another employee. The supervisor asked his coworker why he only worked 4 days a week. His response, because he couldn't live on 3 days pay. It's all about perspective.

There are UPS drivers in mcmansions, there are UPS drivers in doublewide trailers. If they can perform the job a few days a week they obviously have the drive inside to work at the pace we are required to work at...Most of the young people at my building would quit before they ever got qualified...Too much work. So I guess these guys have made the decision to prioritize other things in life.

They may also be smart and taking it easy since they are still in progression. Why kill yourself to make $1300 gross a week when a few years from now it will be $2500 for the same amount of work?

I would gladly work a few extra years later in life in order to spend real time with my children while they are younger. They are my priority at this time in my life and I am thankful/happy to be on call in feeders at this point because my schedule is flexible.