Coverage driver seniority conundrum

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In long past years, a higher seniority driver (reg ft or cover) had no trouble passing on a workday, so long as there was another driver to take their place.

About 5 years ago, UPS changed their view on this and basically said, if you are on the schedule, unless you want to burn an optional or were taking a sick day, you were going to be working.

They figured, it was technically possible to save a month of healthcare premiums by starving out a low seniority driver and keep that off their bottom line. Here, you need 40 hours per month to get health bennies.

There were some months they kept the lowest driver down to only one or two days.
They tried that here and it didn't fly, if they have extra drivers they have to offer unpaid days off in seniority order. It helps that we have it spelled out in our supplement.

UPS Preloader

OK bid drivers are required to work when there bid route is posted- now if a non bid extra area is cut it should go by coverage driver seniority correct? I'm 2nd coverage driver and I have custody of my son so I try to to get time off whenever possible.Getting hours in our center is not a problem. I thought I was a coverage not a full time bitx#! I think I'm classified as an FT Coverage and I have 2 coverage drivers behind me. Do I have to be on call all the time can I say unavailable call the next guy? Where can I find language regarding coverage driver's my book has little to none.

There is no such thing as being on call at UPS. When you are on call, you are required to be paid a fee to take the call and respond. If your not scheduled to work then you are on layoff. Your only obligation is to get back to them in a timely fashion and let them know when you will be available. You are under no obligation to answer the call or work that day. If they want you work any given day they should schedule you accordingly. (At least that's the way it is here in New England.)

HoffaLives

The Circus is Hiring
Yes that's basically how this mess started I used to answer the phone all time sure boss, yes boss, preload then drive yes yes, then local yes and now that Im finally saying no for my son management is throwing a fit. My seniority should count for something . And there are perfectly 2 drivers under me that want the work. One just started he can prove himself.

Last edited:

BrownInTx

Start by not answering your phone. Tell them you need to know a day in advance. If the boss ask about the phone tell him you cut the service Bc it wasn't in your budget any longer.