Coverage driver seniority conundrum

HoffaLives

The Circus is Hiring
OK bid drivers are required to work when there bid route is posted- now if a non bid extra area is cut it should go by coverage driver seniority correct? I'm 2nd coverage driver and I have custody of my son so I try to to get time off whenever possible.Getting hours in our center is not a problem. I thought I was a coverage not a full time bitx#! I think I'm classified as an FT Coverage and I have 2 coverage drivers behind me. Do I have to be on call all the time can I say unavailable call the next guy? Where can I find language regarding coverage driver's my book has little to none.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
OK bid drivers are required to work when there bid route is posted- now if a non bid extra area is cut it should go by coverage driver seniority correct? I'm 2nd coverage driver and I have custody of my son so I try to to get time off whenever possible.Getting hours in our center is not a problem. I thought I was a coverage not a full time bitx#! I think I'm classified as an FT Coverage and I have 2 coverage drivers behind me. Do I have to be on call all the time can I say unavailable call the next guy? Where can I find language regarding coverage driver's my book has little to none.
On call?

Depends on local. Here "seniority gives you the right to work. Not the right not to work"

HoffaLives

The Circus is Hiring
exactly if the job/route is available and you have the senority you "have the right to work" giving you the right to bid or not to?

Last edited:

Hump dump and roll

In my local seniority gives you three things on a day to day basis.
1. The right to work
2. The right to use an optional day
3. The right to refuse extra work that would force you to have overtime; i.e. When you finish your route and someone needs help you can pass it down to a less senior driver if they have less work, but usually you have to grieve this after the fact.

Brownslave688

We also hear the "offer from the top, force from the bottom" thing. Or does that only apply to extra work?
It's largely depends on a BA interpretation and how much they want to push it.

My view on it. Don't take a full time job with no flexibility then bitch about having to work all of the time.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
In long past years, a higher seniority driver (reg ft or cover) had no trouble passing on a workday, so long as there was another driver to take their place.

About 5 years ago, UPS changed their view on this and basically said, if you are on the schedule, unless you want to burn an optional or were taking a sick day, you were going to be working.

They figured, it was technically possible to save a month of healthcare premiums by starving out a low seniority driver and keep that off their bottom line. Here, you need 40 hours per month to get health bennies.

There were some months they kept the lowest driver down to only one or two days.

Brownslave688

In long past years, a higher seniority driver (reg ft or cover) had no trouble passing on a workday, so long as there was another driver to take their place.

About 5 years ago, UPS changed their view on this and basically said, if you are on the schedule, unless you want to burn an optional or were taking a sick day, you were going to be working.

They figured, it was technically possible to save a month of healthcare premiums by starving out a low seniority driver and keep that off their bottom line. Here, you need 40 hours per month to get health bennies.

There were some months they kept the lowest driver down to only one or two days.
I think they also thought that some of the older guys had it too easy and they would retire if forced to work every day.

HoffaLives

The Circus is Hiring
Thanks guys for all your input. I understand this job is better than everyone elses, but senority is a joke if you don't get to use it.

HoffaLives

The Circus is Hiring
Ok page 200 Section 18 3rd 4rth paragraph

Coverage work that will be in existance for a full week shall be SELECTED each Friday by the Coverage Drivers in Senority Order.

Just talked to my Union Stewy and he said I do not have to be on call on the days I'm not scheduled to work. So long as there is coverage behind me--And there is. And if your on the schedule you'd better show up- "always have."

There are perks to being a FT bid route driver. And I understand the commitment when you Bid on a route.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

Ok page 200 Section 18 3rd 4rth paragraph

Coverage work that will be in existance for a full week shall be SELECTED each Friday by the Coverage Drivers in Senority Order.

Just talked to my Union Stewy and he said I do not have to be on call on the days I'm not scheduled to work. So long as there is coverage behind me--And there is. And if your on the schedule you'd better show up- "always have."

There are perks to being a FT bid route driver. And I understand the commitment when you Bid on a route.
Are you "on call" or do you have a posted start time for the week?