Craziest things you were yelled at for

rushfan

Feeding a dog a treat. All of my customers don't mind if I feed their "wildlife". This one lady was a real you know what.

I was driving out of a mobile home park earlier this month, scraping along the pine-tree branches that hang way out into the road as usual (it's pretty hard to get around them without hitting any of them) when all of the sudden, "plink" goes my passenger side mirror - a tiny little sliver had been knocked out of it when a branch scraped it. I don't know how it happened at 5 mph, but it did.

Of course, it was my fault. Some days I managed to get into and out of this place without scraping the trees, so it could be done, so I just wasn't paying enough attention - I was accused of violating the driving habit "Leave yourself an out" because I didn't have a space cushion on all sides of my vehicle! I was later told that if I couldn't get into and out of the mobile home park without scraping the tree branches, I had to walk them. My times have never suffered so much as when I carted several Dell deliveries around that place (multiple loads, if you can imagine that!) Of course, my boss wasn't too happy about my scratch times taking a turn for the worse - and blames me for it.

S

SIDECAR

How About Those People Who Yell 'slow Down! In The Neighborhood Your In And You're Going Less Than 10 Mph...

trickpony1

Phantom Lord-
In another thread you are asking questions about how much you will make as a new supervisor, that is, if you can out negotiate the wage negotiator and, by the way, that term should probably be "salary negotiator" and in this thread you are lamenting a broken mirror and scrapping the side of your truck and being blamed for it.

I can't speak for others but I don't have much pity for you. Sorry.

Have fun in management.

I didn't ask for pity. I thought it was a pretty crazy thing to be yelled at for, telling me to work one way then getting mad when I actually work that way, so I thought it deserved to be posted. I guess I'm alone in that assumption.

You know, it's attitudes like yours, trickpony1, that make the supervisor/employee relationship nigh untenable. I hope to bring a sense of who I am now with me to my new supervisory position, and hopefully be able to see things more clearly since I am fresh from the other side of the fence, and I know what it's like to really be a driver. I hope to both influence the supervisors that don't know what it's like to be a driver (because they only did it for one month) and influence the bad-apple drivers that make those same supervisors think poorly about all drivers. I hope to achieve a change for the better in my center by becoming a supervisor, which is why I have both the support of my management team and most of my fellow drivers out of Loveland, CO. Then, you have the audacity to tell me "You're becoming a supervisor, so your problems don't count."

When you prick us, do we not bleed? Once we cross over to the "Dark Side," are we not humans anymore? There is a certain common respect and empathy that I try to maintain toward all but the most intolerable of my fellows, driver, supervisor, and manager alike; it seems that you lack that respect and empathy.

Can you not understand that I am serving my family, my company, and my fellow drivers in the best way I know how? As a driver I can only do so much: take some extra stops off of a coworker, answer questions, and help out where I can. I hope to take a more proactive role in helping more people by bringing a more level head to management in my center. There is one awesome supervisor in my center, an old dog that's been doing it for almost 25 years. He has been a great help to me and to others, both on a professional and semi-professional level; that's what I want to be like. I'm not in this for glory or power, if that's what you're thinking.

I hope that you can become more tolerable toward others. Maybe then you would be able to drop your pretenses and become a supervisor yourself, and help the system on a greater level than you ever could by sitting around here and running your mouth.

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
Hey phantom,dont be so hard on trickpony.You never know someone till you walk a mile in thier shoes.He may have some
very good reasons to dislike management that you are unaware of.
I wish you well in your endeavors,and hope you achieve the level of
excellence that VERY few people in supervisory positions attain.
Wait till you have to fire a 25 yr employee with a family for a stupid reason and still sleep well at night.Trickpony may be jaded in the way he percieves management,but only time will tell how jaded you
may become after a year of trying to achieve unattainable goals.

trickpony1

Double standard-thanks for your support.

Phantom Lord- I may have been a little tough on you. We all gotta do what we gotta do. I wish you strength and luck in your pursuits.

Perhaps I do have my reasons to view management the way I do. I do believe that some people go into management simply to get out of pkg cars, which I understand. Perhaps if you could experience what I have experienced and seen what I have seen then you might understand. Good Luck.

DS

Fenderbender
Screw the teamsters, lets get the AWPA in the picture.
UPS needs its own union...I`m sick of thier representation
without representation.

GUTHREE

Mrs. Smooth
funny.......heading out to area one day......roll through a light.......hit a pot hole......hear some weird popping sound, and then notice something small come flying past my package car as i'm crusing down the road.......then clunk.......back tire comes off.......those were the lug nuts that i saw flying past me......ugh......haven't even made to area yet..........packed with air........lol........had to transfer, load all packages into other car..........next day, a stupid, crappy supervisor asks? "did you check your lugnuts during your pretrip?" LOL, luckily, noone got hurt

GUTHREE

Mrs. Smooth
same dumb, crappy supervisor hooking up a trailer to my package car one day........years ago.......never pulled a trailer.......wanted him to "show me" and make sure that he taught me how to do it........ok.......done, heading to area........get on a hill, and come around a corner where they were building this new chik fil a, kinda muddy hole, trailer comes off......it runs into the back of my package car, i remember feeling it and wondering what they hell that was? so go thru the little muddy area, and pull over.........a small enough little hilll.......the trailer is still attached by chain, but it had moved all the way over to where it was aiming for the bottom of this hill, heading for a big blvd street.......kinda worried.......didn't want it to roll down in the bmiddle of busy blvd ...........anyways, short version..........supervisor hooked it up..........ball was not the right size........a** ...tried to say it was my fault..........lol

pudg00

pudg00
Customer yelled at me on her daughters cell phone for not letting the daughter sign for her wine without ID. I just laughed. That did not help the situtation.

Fnix

I was sorting and the unloader sent a leaking paint bucket and I got yelled at for it. It went by two people before it got to me plus it was an irreg.

P

pickup

I had a ride a long with a sup . He got in to the tractor with me and I backed under the assigned trailer. After I hooked up the airlines . I started to walk around of the tractor and trailer to inspect lights tires, etc. He joined me for the walk and as I was walking, I thought I felt and heard something fall from my keychain which was attached to my belt loop. I stopped walking and turned on my flashlight (nighttime) and backed up five feet with the flashlight and found the piece that fell off (inconsequential piece but it could have been a key). He turned around and yelled "what's the holdup?" I told him ,"Hey just dropped something" and he accused me of being a time thief. I just looked at him in disbelief and just listened to him go on for thirty seconds about how I was careless with my belongings. I said nothing because I felt the more he talked, the more likely he would realize how ridiculous his reasoning was. I think he did realize it.
Still, I was then a little worried for the rest of the time we would spend together, about what other little bs he could find in the way I did things. To his credit and maybe mine, he didn't find anything but at the end just suggested some things for improvement (after all, no one is going to be found perfect on these reviews)

rod

Retired 22 years
We all were lined up one morning and given a Royal :censored2: chewing because a women customer had found a nude, from the waist down, photo of a guy in the stack of forms they used back then to ship packages over the receiving counter. They never did find out who put it there but we always assumed it wasn't one of us. Probably another customer or even that lady herself did it. All I know is our "Attaboy plaque" didn't take long to disappear after that.:wink2:

P

pickup

We all were lined up one morning and given a Royal :censored2: chewing because a women customer had found a nude, from the waist down, photo of a guy in the stack of forms they used back then to ship packages over the receiving counter. They never did find out who put it there but we always assumed it wasn't one of us. Probably another customer or even that lady herself did it. All I know is our "Attaboy plaque" didn't take long to disappear after that.:wink2:

Ha ha ha . If it is enough to make me spontaneously laugh. I'll type out the laugh. You didn't have me at "hello" but you got me with the "attaboy plaque"

rod

Retired 22 years
My first day of delivering I was being trained by another centers center manager- ours was on vacation. It was 95 degrees and I was a puddle of sweat. After a couple of hours he he finally stayed by the truck and let me deliver to a stop by myself. On my way out he saw me through the window stop at a water fountain for what he apparently thought was a looooooooong drink. His exact words were "Sure -as soon as I turn my back on you- you go to hell on me". :sad-little:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Only two people in this world that I hate, that I feel are a waste of life, one of them is an on-car in our center named Paul.

When in my first week of driving, he would take the wheel when he felt we were getting behind, and I swear to God, he blew red lights, ignored yield & stop signs, and once went the wrong way on a one-way because " the stop is only 100 yards or so up that way. I think".

This meaningless life form was in the jump seat when I was driving. I begin to slow down and stop on a stretch of road, and he begins to literally scream at me "WHAT THE friend^^^ ARE YOU DOING? GO GO GO!!!!" and I stopped.

He got OUT OF HIS SEAT as I stopped in the road, and got right in my face, asking "what is your friending problem?"

..To which I pointed to a big, red STOP sign in front of us.

"Huh" he says "I've never seen that there before"

UPSNewbie

Only two people in this world that I hate, that I feel are a waste of life, one of them is an on-car in our center named Paul.

When in my first week of driving, he would take the wheel when he felt we were getting behind, and I swear to God, he blew red lights, ignored yield & stop signs, and once went the wrong way on a one-way because " the stop is only 100 yards or so up that way. I think".

This meaningless life form was in the jump seat when I was driving. I begin to slow down and stop on a stretch of road, and he begins to literally scream at me "WHAT THE friend^^^ ARE YOU DOING? GO GO GO!!!!" and I stopped.

He got OUT OF HIS SEAT as I stopped in the road, and got right in my face, asking "what is your friending problem?"

..To which I pointed to a big, red STOP sign in front of us.

"Huh" he says "I've never seen that there before"

I think I just peed a little. That. Is. Hilarious.