Crazy things they've made us do..

FilingBluesFL

Are you telling me that his mgt team would have told him to drive by those two air stops just to do what Orion told him to do? I highly doubt it.

I've been instructed to run a $5,000 diesel engine in to the ground before.

Do you really think they're that smart?

You give them too much credit.

FilingBluesFL

Only $5k for a diesel rebuild? Must have been a few decades ago.

Last peak. Turbo Cummins, less than a year old. It was 11 quarts low on oil.

Mechanic told me it would cost $5k to replace *shrug*

I worked as instructed, drove it until it kept stalling when I put the clutch in. Spun a rod bearing, and then the rod got all kinds of sloppy after a little while lol

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We were told that the only stop that matters with orion is the first stop. The op was only doing what he was told. The sup knew he was taking air off this am driver and should have known these may be his first stops and told him that this was an exception. We don't make these calls any more. You'll find out once your on orion
I bid out of an orion center a year ago but before that nothing was ever said to us about an orion first stop bs thing. It was keep your miles down and try to hit 85%

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Suppose the OP would have done the right thing and delivered the air on the way to his first stop. Don't you think his on-car and center manager would have thanked him for making the right call? (Yes, I am being serious)
I'm pretty sure my present management team is intelligent enough to say screw ORION, make a good business decision. If not, I'll explain it to them after I made the correct one. No way I'm driving past stops.

clarnzz

I'm pretty sure my present management team is intelligent enough to say screw ORION, make a good business decision. If not, I'll explain it to them after I made the correct one. No way I'm driving past stops.

I lurk a lot, havn't posted in a long while.. 21 year UPSer, 10 year driver... It's like I've read from "Dragon", the heat is on from the Ivory Tower to not just put it on the drivers, it's a flawed system, but it can be improved. Any pissed off driver can follow it 100 percent and stick it to the man. No management team wants you to run 200 miles because a computer made a mistake when you can do it in 180. My management team doesn't want me to drive by a stop and then deliver it from the wrong side of the street two stops later.

If you are a good driver and make good decisions, the only question you will ever hear from your management team is "how can you help us hit this bull:censored2: metric" and then it's up to you decide to help them or not. I choose to help them, our center manager can be an ass, we have great on-cars, and I understand why my center manager get's driven to be an ass... I dunno, I'll fight if I need to, but I feel like it's us vs. the Ivory Tower most time.

kingOFchester

As we all know, every depot/building is managed differently.

My center has done poorly on Orion. Result, we are required to make the first stop in Orion, "no exceptions".

To answer Dave's question, yes Orion in my center would, and does, have you drive past air stops to get to the stop it has calculated to be the best way to run the trip to save miles. Pickups, and even lunches are calculated in to the algorithm. It is calculated down to the minute. If nothing goes wrong for the entire dy then possibly the solution would trim miles........if and only if, you ignore backing.

The other reason Orion has you doing crazy things....because centers try to cheat Orion by putting in one ways, or delivery commit times in order to have the solution match the driver. All well and good, but once those stops are add cut to another route, then it craps the bed.

Here is a great one......Orion had a driver go to a single business building, deliver ground as his first stop. Leave business and continue to deliver airs and grounds. Guess where the last air stop was? Back to the first Orion stop. How does that make sense in any world. Go to a business, deliver grounds, to go back and deliver airs later??? This is probably do to the center forcing Orion to do something to try and match the drivers way of delivering the route.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
The OP met the EAM driver on road and took the stops to help him. They are not in your EDD. What do you do?

Refused. If I am going to be disciplined for not following Orion then they are going to be punished for not planning.

This, however, would not happen in my center. Mgmt makes the cuts.

It's funny though. We are threatened with discipline for not following Orion yet I have not hit my first stop nor turned it on in months and still hit 95% so no one says anything

OPTION3

Did you not see the video of one of the "creators" of ORION? He stated, they EXPECT drivers to correct THEIR flawed system.....they RELY on drivers wanting to "Beat" ORION. Your management team will eventually be BEAT DOWN by the higher ups. When they are....those" intelligent guys " as you call them, will turn this system against you with progressive discipline.....remember, Do what they tell you to do....not what they want you to do.....it's the only defense against progressive discipline......."I made the BEST business decision" doesn't work, on a termination for failure to follow instructions....

OPTION3

As we all know, every depot/building is managed differently.

My center has done poorly on Orion. Result, we are required to make the first stop in Orion, "no exceptions".

To answer Dave's question, yes Orion in my center would, and does, have you drive past air stops to get to the stop it has calculated to be the best way to run the trip to save miles. Pickups, and even lunches are calculated in to the algorithm. It is calculated down to the minute. If nothing goes wrong for the entire dy then possibly the solution would trim miles........if and only if, you ignore backing.

The other reason Orion has you doing crazy things....because centers try to cheat Orion by putting in one ways, or delivery commit times in order to have the solution match the driver. All well and good, but once those stops are add cut to another route, then it craps the bed.

Here is a great one......Orion had a driver go to a single business building, deliver ground as his first stop. Leave business and continue to deliver airs and grounds. Guess where the last air stop was? Back to the first Orion stop. How does that make sense in any world. Go to a business, deliver grounds, to go back and deliver airs later??? This is probably do to the center forcing Orion to do something to try and match the drivers way of delivering the route.
Remember.......NO one is smarter than ORION......it makes hundreds of calculations a stop......The REAL problem is the kool-aid drinkers who Not only believe, but actually EXPECT you to believe too!

Johney

I'm not on Orion nor do I even deliver anymore and I get what you all are saying. Some tools just have to try and prove they are right even when they don't know what their talking about. It never ends with this guy. Truly amazing.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Ok enough about orion
I like it when the have me take a trailer full of skids to a customer and i get to wait 30 min while they unload. Then take the empty back to the building.

Johney

Ok enough about orion
I like it when the have me take a trailer full of skids to a customer and i get to wait 30 min while they unload. Then take the empty back to the building.
Come on man that's nothing compared to a 3 hour late train at the railyard. Even better when your railbox is on the last line to be unloaded.

tracker2762

I bid out of an orion center a year ago but before that nothing was ever said to us about an orion first stop bs thing. It was keep your miles down and try to hit 85%

The first stop report is something that has come up in the last few months, when we started with orion it was never an issue either.

You're right, it was a poor decision. It cost me miles, it was a waste of time, excess use of fuel and wear and tear on the car. The name of the game is to stay off the reports. Do they care more about miles than trace? It should be miles but in most cases it's not. It's first stop, don't back more than 40 feet for residential stops and run good trace. I work as directed, no matter how poor of a decision it is. Should I of had them cut me an air stop off his route b4 I left the building so I wouldn't of had to back track..? Probably.. but why give up the easy money.