Crazy things they've made us do..

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
My center doesnt have orion, my question is does it work for any route or does it increase miles and hours for all routes

In My experience at best it only kind of works . . . Sometimes.

Then problem is that out of 10000x1000000 different ways to run the trace only 60% of them might make sense logistically and Orion can and will often pick one of the 40% that can't and won't work just because it takes less miles.

Last edited:

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

In My experience at best it only kind of works . . . Sometimes.

Then problem is that out of 10000x1000000 different ways to run the trace only 60% of them might make sense logistically and Orion can and will often pick one of the 40% that can't and won't work just because it takes less miles.
I was just curious because I havent heard anything good from anyone on orion......only people praising it are management who dont have it in there centers

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was just curious because I havent heard anything good from anyone on orion......only people praising it are management who dont have it in there centers
ORION's main fanboys are the people whose comprehension of the job of a delivery driver comes from sitting in front of a computer monitor and looking at a bunch of numbered dots overlaid onto a Google Earth map.

Those of us whose comprehension of the job comes from decades of experience actually delivering packages in the real world are finding that ORION isn't quite working the way the fanboys wanted it to.

Time will tell which side is correct.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The VT engine is the diesel V8 that appears in International P1, P7, P12 and 24 footers from about 2004 to 2006. AKA the 6.0 Powerstroke. The 444e is the diesel V8 in International P7, P1, P12 and 24 footers from about 1996 to 2001. AKA the 7.3 Powerstroke.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
The first stop report is something that has come up in the last few months, when we started with orion it was never an issue either.
The big boys in the corner office are now convinced all the miles we are losing are due to us not going to the 1st orion stop.

They don't want to hear about how Orion has turning in driveways to save miles, how it tries to get us to park on the wrong side of the road and cross dangerous streets.

How it has making left turns all day, How it has us parking in front of a stop delivering to 4 stops only to come back 2 hours later to due 2 more from the same parking spot.

They are stuck on stupid.

Oh and they really don't want to hear you are making 25 dollars more for the 30 minutes you waste following Orion to save no miles.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Orion will actually try to get you to deliver the airs as late as possible.

You need to read the start of this thread to appreciate the context with which I posted.

He was told to meet and help the EAM driver, which he did; however, rather than deliver the air , he drive by both stops to make sure he got to his first stop, wasting at least 30 minutes and adding 10 miles.

He made a poor decision.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You need to read the start of this thread to appreciate the context with which I posted.

He was told to meet and help the EAM driver, which he did; however, rather than deliver the air , he drive by both stops to make sure he got to his first stop, wasting at least 30 minutes and adding 10 miles.

He made a poor decision.
Nope, his supervisor told him to go to his first Orion stop Reread.
Yes it was a poor decision, we all agree, but he worked as directed.

Today I shuttled out to an early AM driver. As I was loading his pkgs my supervisor told me to deliver my first stop and help him w his air bc he was heavy. Met him on his route and transfered pkgs and took two air stops off him. Drove 5 miles to my first stop, meanwhile driving right by my two air stops, literally honked to a man I had a signature required for, then drove five miles back, ran those two stop and drove five miles to my second stop.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/crazy-things-theyve-made-us-do.361127/#ixzz3WTAhLCm8

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont get what part you do not get. Poor decision yes, in another time he could have made the correct common sense one. What did his sup/mgmt person tell him to do...what he did, end of conflict.