Curious - Time From Initial Employ to FT Driver

daiku

The best indicator for part time to full time movement is population growth in your area. In high growth areas you can expect more jobs to be created. However you must look at the current times. Many centers have laid drivers off or sent them back to displace part timers in the hub.
First these people will return to their driver jobs when growth returns followed by the part timers. After the recession of 1991 there were YEARS will no new drivers getting called for duty.

If you are not enrolled in College, do so now. You will have more options when that driver job does or does not come.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
No harm, no foul...

I can tell you, if there is ever a point I feel over my head, yes, I will grab someone and tell them I need more training. The DIAD, I obviously need more practice, but the method/theory is clear. Driving is a no-brainer, and rules are clearly defined

(NOTE: Reading threads about being fired for no seatbelt, upset about same - how can you complain? Rules can't be any more clear - Wear it or prepare your resume. You don't have to like the rules, agree with the rules, you have to follow the rules. Welcome to life, have a seat.)

Do I feel qualified to do what I am doing? I'd have to say yes. Now, should I tell my superiors "Hey, I want to slow down my advancement here because I understand this normally takes longer"?

Would you?

Nope... I get it.

You should absolutely take advantage of the center that is doing all of this for you.

From our (or just mine) I just find it amazing that you have come so far in a matter of days. For you...outstanding!! Get it while ya can I guess... I can say..and I am sure most will agree... it certainly isn't like that everywhere. Good for you! Skweaky wheel get the grease...or the grease gets the skweaky wheel... however ya say it...LOL.

OMG...how do you spell skweaky?? is that right?? DOLESSWORK where are you when I need you??:wink2:

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I worked 5 of the longest years of my life on the preload.We had to walk 10 miles uphill both ways in the sand to get to work back then! None of the damn trailers would jack in the morning, always pushing pkgs uphill out of trailers. All the floors were solid concrete. And to top it off, we had no heat! Todays preloaders are coddled! There were some guys who took a shortcut thru part-time supervision and then took one of the off road posistions. That theory doesn't work as well anymore because of greater ratio of inside to outside hires.

Bet you guys were in your bare feet too?... eh?

Thank god for boots these days!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Nope... I get it.

You should absolutely take advantage of the center that is doing all of this for you.

From our (or just mine) I just find it amazing that you have come so far in a matter of days. For you...outstanding!! Get it while ya can I guess... I can say..and I am sure most will agree... it certainly isn't like that everywhere. Good for you! Skweaky wheel get the grease...or the grease gets the skweaky wheel... however ya say it...LOL.

OMG...how do you spell skweaky?? is that right?? DOLESSWORK where are you when I need you??:wink2:

In my 3rd week. So far, I love it - have learned MUCH about politics, most of which I did not want to know.

Squeak

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Yeah...politics...here is my thought on that...hear it, understand it...try to aviod it! Easy... Breezy... Beautiful!!

I was given advice by a co-worker who has been there many years; "Smile, nod your head yes, keep your mouth shut, keep working."

Each moring at our "Let us all bow our heads & recite a rule from UPS scripture that we already know" (because I forget the name of those meetings) it seems like some of the guys just seem to want a fight. Almost comical.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Albany (Latham) NY has 4 centers in the same bldg, each with its own mgt team.

While I don't know that specific hub, my original UPS hub in the Chicago area had 4 centers, each with its own management team. And yes....Commerce City has 8 centers, each with its center manager, on-roads and OMS(s). The delivery area stretches all the way west to Broomfield, Colorado (about 30 miles from the Hub); somewhere east of Aurora, Colorado; south to Belleview Avenue in the Denver Tech Center and north to a place that escapes me at the moment. But yes, basically the Denver metro area. There's a hub in the south suburbs that serves from Belleview to some point where the Colorado Springs operation picks up. I was once told Commerce is the 4th or 5th largest UPS hub.

The driving wait time has gone up and down at Commerce in the last several years. When I left in October 2007, I think it was about 6 months. -Rocky

The delivery area stretches all the way west to Broomfield, Colorado (about 30 miles from the Hub); somewhere east of Aurora, Colorado;
-Rocky
All the way? 30 miles? WOW!
LMAO, we have an area that the 1st stop is 90 miles away and the last stop even further. You sure you belong here Rocky?
Just kidding RR, had to at ya.

UPS is hiring in New Jersey for full time Seasonal temporary Drivers. What are the chances of them keeping a person on as permanent? Which hubs in New Jersey are best to work at. Thanks Brownies.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
UPS is hiring in New Jersey for full time Seasonal temporary Drivers. What are the chances of them keeping a person on as permanent? Which hubs in New Jersey are best to work at. Thanks Brownies.

I would think that it would probably depend on where they were located and how well they performed....

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
All the way? 30 miles? WOW!
LMAO, we have an area that the 1st stop is 90 miles away and the last stop even further. You sure you belong here Rocky?
Just kidding RR, had to at ya.

LOL, trplnkl. It might be more, it might be less. I've never clocked it. Poke as much as ya want :happy2:. -Rocky

sx2700

Banned

Nobody is going to be hired as permanent until after August. Of course, everyone knows the reason for that.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

NOPE NOPE...
Just the Florida UPSers get to re-count...

NOPE NO...THAT IS WRONG...
only some of the Florida UPSers get to re-count...

OH NOPE...WAIT A MINUTE........
First we have to vote on whether some of the Florida UPSers
still have the right to vote!

DONT WORRY... HOWEVER IT TURNS OUT WE WILL CONTINUE UNTIL WE GET THE RESULTS WE WANT.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
NOPE NOPE...
Just the Florida UPSers get to re-count...

NOPE NO...THAT IS WRONG...
only some of the Florida UPSers get to re-count...

OH NOPE...WAIT A MINUTE........
First we have to vote on whether some of the Florida UPSers
still have the right to vote!

DONT WORRY... HOWEVER IT TURNS OUT WE WILL CONTINUE UNTIL WE GET THE RESULTS WE WANT.

Damn Gore Supporters never die.....

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Damn Gore Supporters never die.....

LETS JUST FACE THE FACT THAT -
THAT ENTIRE SCENERIO WAS ABSOLUTELY AN AMAZING JERK AROUND!

Watch the movie Re-count...it really puts things in perpective!
and goes to prove if ya keep going long enough...break enough
laws..re-focus the people on something else...then

after a while it really doesn't matter what the people wanted.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Watch the movie Re-count...it really puts things in perpective! and goes to prove if ya keep going long enough...break enough laws..re-focus the people on something else...then

PLEASE don't try to tell us that the Democrats haven't pulled such stunts in the past. C'mon. And please don't try to tell us that movie was non-partisan. The media has gone entirely too partisan. I almost can't watch CNN now. Their reporting was never very good to begin with but then, just the other night Lou Dobbs LAUGHED off something particularly worrisome about Barack Obama (I forget what exactly now). Gore lost and that's that. -Rocky