Currently waiting for a COD

Indecisi0n

In the example I gave I have a smoke shop (drug paraphenalia) next door to a (tree hugger) food co-op. The smoke shop gets the COD's. I write down the shipper name, COD amount and will add CC/MO as needed. I hand the list to the owner. I then go back to the pkg car to deliver the co-op. By the time I finish that delivery and deliver the smoke shop the checks are sitting there waiting for me. If the pkg is CC/MO and she doesn't have payment she will send her husband to get them and I will swing by later that day. Yeah, I could stand there and watch her write 1 to as many as 6 checks, but why would I do that if I can run off a stop in the mean time? The only reason I swing back is I have to drive by there while doing my pickups.

​"I want to see the package"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Perhaps I am lucky but she has never asked to see a package before paying for it. Now, if there was any visible damage to any of her packages, I would most certainly show it to her and let her decide if she wants it or not.

over9five

Staff member
4o7ef.jpg

Johney

In the example I gave I have a smoke shop (drug paraphenalia) next door to a (tree hugger) food co-op. The smoke shop gets the COD's. I write down the shipper name, COD amount and will add CC/MO as needed. I hand the list to the owner. I then go back to the pkg car to deliver the co-op. By the time I finish that delivery and deliver the smoke shop the checks are sitting there waiting for me. If the pkg is CC/MO and she doesn't have payment she will send her husband to get them and I will swing by later that day. Yeah, I could stand there and watch her write 1 to as many as 6 checks, but why would I do that if I can run off a stop in the mean time? The only reason I swing back is I have to drive by there while doing my pickups.
I understand what you're doing but if you know this customer is going to write you checks as soon as you get there why waste time writing down amounts and who they're from? If they're the type who him haw around sure fill out a DN do other deliveries then see if checks are ready. I have people who whip out the checkbook as soon as I set down the COD why not just wait the 20 seconds to write a check? Now if they are slow I would do as you do. I just saying you seem to know your people why waste time writing down stuff with the ones you know are going to write a check asap? Just saying.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are a small retail establishment and usually have several customers milling about. The method that I use with them is the result of trial and error. When I first started delivering there I would stand and wait. I quickly learned that it was much easier for all involved if I wrote down all of the information, which takes less than 30 seconds, hand them the piece of paper, deliver the adjacent businesses and then deliver their packages. It works out well for all involved. As far as I know the cover drivers don't do it that way nor does the driver who gets this work on an add/cut.

cino321

Dude I have one now that gets a shipment of let's say 5 packages, and only has the COD attached to it, still wants to see all 5. He does come out to my truck though with his check book and take the packages off me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dude I have one now that gets a shipment of let's say 5 packages, and only has the COD attached to it, still wants to see all 5. He does come out to my truck though with his check book and take the packages off me.

You should continue to do whatever works best for you. The OP was expressing his frustration with having to wait for someone to write a check(s) and I gave him a possible solution, which works best for me.

barnyard

KTM rider
The frustrating thing is that worldship allows the shipper to automatically generate a COD email to receivers, so they know when to expect the shipment and how much it will be. I was able to get one regular COD receiver to ask their shippers to do that. Dress shop was a no go though.

CODs seem to be one of those things that a regular driver has to either train themselves or their customers on how to take care of them in a reasonable amount of time. Seems that some customers are trainable, some are not.

Back when I was brandy new, I had a COD on a route I was covering and the receiver demanded that they be allow to open the box and that they would not pay unless they could. I refused, put NR1 on the package and left. They called in and it turned into a cluster for me and the regular driver.

I believe that upstate has the best method for him and others have what works best with them.

PeasAndCarrots

They are a small retail establishment and usually have several customers milling about. The method that I use with them is the result of trial and error. When I first started delivering there I would stand and wait. I quickly learned that it was much easier for all involved if I wrote down all of the information, which takes less than 30 seconds, hand them the piece of paper, deliver the adjacent businesses and then deliver their packages. It works out well for all involved. As far as I know the cover drivers don't do it that way nor does the driver who gets this work on an add/cut.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Upstate's stood out to me and as far as deliveries that are close to the customer I was waiting for in my OP, this idea could work for me. The only thing that stinks is they always HAVE to look at the attached invoice. The sup that trained me in August said I couldn't leave the package (obviously) or the invoice alone with the customer. How would you handle that situation?

oldngray

nowhere special
I always give them the invoice if its attached on outside. The customer is allowed to see that. Just make sure the amount is the same as on the COD label.

upschuck

​"I want to see the package"

I was at a stop once, they had two delivery points, one up the hill, one down below. Anyway was delivering up top and the girl from down the hill came in while I there. I said to the lady from down below that I had a pkg for her and asked if she wanted it up here or down below. Both the ladies cracked up. I turned a little red. True story.

PeasAndCarrots

I was at a stop once, they had two delivery points, one up the hill, one down below. Anyway was delivering up top and the girl from down the hill came in while I there. I said to the lady from down below that I had a pkg for her and asked if she wanted it up here or down below. Both the ladies cracked up. I turned a little red. True story.

Hah, I will say this. The first time my wife saw me in browns, I couldn't help but tell her something like, "I've got a big package for you ma'am!"