Customer claims damage to property?

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Coworker charged for accident that did not occur, got a call from supervisor claiming customer saw him hit a lawn statue and bent the anchor system inside the statue. He talked with the supervisor and he said they could investigate the accident, but he would be pulled off the road and could take weeks to find out the truth. He called one of are union stewards and talked to him and said"this is wrong and unjustified to pull him from road without any evidence to the customers claim". So he had to choice between no pay for weeks and fight it, or eat it and have a safety ride along and charged with a accident. My question is what would you do in this case?

542thruNthru

Coworker charged for accident that did not occur, got a call from supervisor claiming customer saw him hit a lawn statue and bent the anchor system inside the statue. He talked with the supervisor and he said they could investigate the accident, but he would be pulled off the road and could take weeks to find out the truth. He called one of are union stewards and talked to him and said"this is wrong and unjustified to pull him from road without any evidence to the customers claim". So he had to choice between no pay for weeks and fight it, or eat it and have a safety ride along and charged with a accident. My question is what would you do in this case?

If I knew for a fact I didn't hit anything I'd fight it tooth and nail. Your BA should be all over this! If anything I would think it would be a working termination until evidence was found. I think I remember you being in Feeder. Was your friend in a package truck or Feeder truck?

BigBrown87

If I knew for a fact I didn't hit anything I'd fight it tooth and nail. Your BA should be all over this! If anything I would think it would be a working termination until evidence was found. I think I remember you being in Feeder. Was your friend in a package truck or Feeder truck?
No PC he is also PC

BigBrown87

I dont know if the BA even heard about the situation but he did talk to are union steward. It really pissed him off and he was upset when I talked to him, he had 7 years of safe driving so I know that he's not that dumb to not report an accident.

542thruNthru

He was at the property that day.

I feel like there is more to the story. I don't mean that you're deliberately leaving stuff out I just think there's more details that might clear some things up.

Did the customer say how he hit it? Was it backing? Telematics should be able to tell them if he backed at that location and if he came to a sudden stop or if he backed first then delivered the package. When did the customer call? Was it hours after gps puts him at the property?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If they are giving him time off for the “dog and pony show investigation “ and they find he didn’t do it then he will be getting paid for all the time he is off...afaic....why admit to something he didn’t do??

BigBrown87

He talked to steward and said it's his word against there word. They tried telling him they would walk him out for dishonesty and failure to report an accident if he choose to fight it. In the end he decided that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze and better to have a job then have to fight to get his back.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
He talked to steward and said it's his word against there word. They tried telling him they would walk him out for dishonesty and failure to report an accident if he choose to fight it. In the end he decided that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze and better to have a job then have to fight to get his back.
That’s bogus.....have them show you the proof he did it....

BigBrown87

That’s bogus.....have them show you the proof he did it....
I agree it use to be that they would investigate all claims of an accident made by homeowners, but now they will threaten to fire you so they can get out of paperwork. I'm sure @Dragon would be honest and tell you the truth about how management deals with bogus accident claims.

BigBrown87

The "alleged" accident also effects the Center's safety numbers. It is in the Centers best interest to learn the truth and deny the "accident".
Not if they are under there quota for accidents, less paperwork and they have a driver that they can target all year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I were 100% convinced that I had nothing to do with the accident I would sit at home and wait for the investigation to take its course.

The Company has 10 days, not weeks, to complete their investigation.

I would then grieve for back pay and sue the homeowner for his/her false statements.

That being said, it sounds like your buddy may not have been as truthful with you as he should have been.