Customer Counter Changes

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Starting April 27, 2009
Only packages that require a signature will be held.
All other packages will be returned to the shipper after 3 attempts.
If a customer contacts UPS by 7pm on the day of the third attempt , then that package's status will change to a will call & be held.

....................................................................................
Another cost cutting procedure .
The end of postcarding parcels; at $.22 mailing charge per postcard the company will be saving millions.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Starting April 27, 2009
If a customer contacts UPS by 7pm on the day of the third attempt , then that package's status will change to a will call & be held.

....................................................................................
The end of postcarding parcels; at $.22 mailing charge per postcard the company will be saving millions.

Mufstafo,

Good luck explaining that to the livid regulars the first couple weeks.

Starting April 27, 2009

So, recently moved consignee packages, simple bad addressed packages and addresses that are not in the Post office data base will all be returned, if the evening clerks can't find the correct addies that night? Is that correct?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So, recently moved consignee packages, simple bad addressed packages and addresses that are not in the Post office data base will all be returned, if the evening clerks can't find the correct addrees that night? Is that correct?

Good question ... I'm assuming NOT. Exception packages usually incur additional cost to the shipper so those packages would be held until they could be corrected and then put out for delivery.

The immediate return is for packages that simply were not deliverable in 3 days in areas where DR is not allowed or appropriate.

This seems reasonable to me but you are right that change management will be contentious as first.

I have been in UPS Buildings across the country (roll-out of Point Of Sale systems) and it is absolutely ridiculous at the number of packages stored. San Jose comes to mind as the worst that I saw. The retains cage at that facility was at least 200 ft long by 10 feet wide and 8 feet high. We had to lose money on just about every package in those storage cages.

This should reduce cost of storing these packages and re-handling them and reduce the amount of time that it takes to find packages that are held.

Keep in mind that the customers that will be inconvenienced are the consignee not the decision making shipper.

The more I think about ... the more I like this!

pretzel_man

So, recently moved consignee packages, simple bad addressed packages and addresses that are not in the Post office data base will all be returned, if the evening clerks can't find the correct addies that night? Is that correct?

The way I read it:
Recently moved consignee packages - Should have been sheeted as no such person before the third atempt
Simple Bad Addresses - Same as above. Should have been sheeted as No Such Number or fixed before the third attempt
Addresses not on the Post Office Database - I don't see how these are affected. UPS has non-Post office addresses in our database today.

The major difference is that we will not hold them for five days after the NI3 event.

Here is some text:

Effective Date – April 27, 2009
[FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]All Ground Service packages without UPS signature options (Signature Required or Adult Signature Required) will be returned to the shipper after the 3rd delivery attempt.[/FONT]
[FONT=UPS Sans,UPS Sans]You Can Make Alternate Delivery Arrangements[/FONT]
[FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]Up to 7pm on the day of the final delivery attempt, visit ups.com[/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]® [/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]with the UPS InfoNotice[/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]® [/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]number to: [/FONT]
[FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]• Request that the package be held in the building [/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]for pick-up, [/FONT]or
[FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]• Have the package delivered to an Alternate [/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]Delivery Address[/FONT]
[FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]UPS International, Air and Ground packages requiring a signature will continue to be held for five business days before returning to the shipper.[/FONT]

The way I read it:
Recently moved consignee packages - Should have been sheeted as no such person before the third atempt
Simple Bad Addresses - Same as above. Should have been sheeted as No Such Number or fixed before the third attempt
Addresses not on the Post Office Database - I don't see how these are affected. UPS has non-Post office addresses in our database today.

The major difference is that we will not hold them for five days after the NI3 event.

Here is some text:

Effective Date – April 27, 2009
[FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]All Ground Service packages without UPS signature options (Signature Required or Adult Signature Required) will be returned to the shipper after the 3rd delivery attempt.[/FONT]
[FONT=UPS Sans,UPS Sans]You Can Make Alternate Delivery Arrangements[/FONT]
[FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]Up to 7pm on the day of the final delivery attempt, visit ups.com[/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]® [/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]with the UPS InfoNotice[/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]® [/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]number to: [/FONT]
[FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]• Request that the package be held in the building [/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]for pick-up, [/FONT]or
[FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]• Have the package delivered to an Alternate [/FONT][FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]Delivery Address[/FONT]
[FONT=UPSSans,UPSSans]UPS International, Air and Ground packages requiring a signature will continue to be held for five business days before returning to the shipper.[/FONT]
OK, that makes sense.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm all for this but I think that we should hold them for one day before sending them back. I often wonder why people even bother ordering things. It shouldn't take three attempts so even allowing that many is generous enough. I went to the same upstairs (third floor) apartment this week three days in a row to deliver two 100 pound packages. The customer could have signed one of the three notices I left or requested that the packages be put on hold. Instead they waited until the third attempt to make any attempt at retrieving their packages. This happens every week. It just shows how unorganized people are these days.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
having worked w/ baba_gounj I will say that this is going to be a kick in the groin. There's likely going to be many unhappy people storming in wondering why their package has been returned, especially up here in the cranky northeast.

Let's all say a prayer for those customer counter folks. Also pray baba_gounj will be out picking up misloads or unlocking drivers for the next few weeks instead of inside the counter fending off the line of people ***ed off. :)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm all for this but I think that we should hold them for one day before sending them back. I often wonder why people even bother ordering things. It shouldn't take three attempts so even allowing that many is generous enough. I went to the same upstairs (third floor) apartment this week three days in a row to deliver two 100 pound packages. The customer could have signed one of the three notices I left or requested that the packages be put on hold. Instead they waited until the third attempt to make any attempt at retrieving their packages. This happens every week. It just shows how unorganized people are these days.

Holding them for one day = holding them 5. In the buidling in question, the days packages are controlled by ECS and shuttled to the counter. The counter is not on-site. It would be a constant revolving door for packages if either they were held for 1 or 5 days.

This simplifies the process much more for that reason;and others too. Also in terms of HOW UPS does business this is a benefit....

Of course , the customer pays for the signature required option. (more or less - the customer really ends up paying in the end , the shipper foots it) Therefore, the shipper wins out when UPS customers request sig required more offten because their packages are gone after 3 attempts.

Overpaid Union Thug

having worked w/ baba_gounj I will say that this is going to be a kick in the groin. There's likely going to be many unhappy people storming in wondering why their package has been returned, especially up here in the cranky northeast.

They have only themselves to blame. Its not like it takes a huge effort on their part to make sure they get their packages. All they need to do is read the instructions on the info notice. Or, if thats too taxing then maybe they shouldn't order anything if they know they wont be home. In our center people are allowed to come in and pick up packages even after the counter is closed. I receive messages several times in a week telling me to bring certain packages to the counter when I return that were attempted that day. The customers are already there waiting for me and sometimes its the day of the first attempt. I like when customers are proactive like that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our lookup room has (as of Friday) less than 10 pkgs with bad addresses and about 10-15 on hold. Most of the holds are signature required while the rest are will calls. Our drivers have solid area knowledge and do what they can to get them delivered. The cover drivers are not hesitant to ask for help. A couple of us go through the pkgs in lookup to see if we recognize the address or can provide the new address if the consignee has moved.

I like this change. We are not a storage facility. As big arrow said, consignees will often wait until the 3rd day before making alternate arrangements when they could have taken care of it after the first day. As with any change, there will be adjustments. The info notices will have to be re-written to reflect this change (in both English and Spanish).

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They have only themselves to blame. Its not like it takes a huge effort on their part to make sure they get their packages. All they need to do is read the instructions on the info notice. Or, if thats too taxing then maybe they shouldn't order anything if they know they wont be home. In our center people are allowed to come in and pick up packages even after the counter is closed. I receive messages several times in a week telling me to bring certain packages to the counter when I return that were attempted that day. The customers are already there waiting for me and sometimes its the day of the first attempt. I like when customers are proactive like that.

I agree, but that is not reality.

Customers expect for the $5.95 ground shipping charge above and beyond, including 5 days of hold (postcard held).

That's how it is. Hell, that's how I am. If I pay someone to deliver my package, deliver it. If it's not signature required, leave it.

That brings up another ideal - the "no DR it to apartment buildings" clause here in the city

Here in the Boston area, it's a management decision to NEVER DR packages in any apartment building or area where there is no secure privacy.

It is this that worries me. At a mom-and-pop counter, I could see getting away with never postcarding anything. But at "that" counter, it's a different world. On the hold shelf and the storage trailer, 5 days worth of packages would be roughly 100 and 20-100 smalls PER DAY. That is somewhere between 500 and 1000 packages TOTAL.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Ah, the piece count currently is way down.
Everyday there is a lot of space on the shelves & in the trailer.
About < 50 pick ups @ day.

Downside to this change is going to be less people working at the counter; one p/t is already gone ( to twi internationals ) & the other will follow soon, also the 22.3's could be moved.

Ah, the piece count currently is way down.
Everyday there is a lot of space on the shelves & in the trailer.
About < 50 pick ups @ day.

Downside to this change is going to be less people working at the counter; one p/t is already gone ( to twi internationals ) & the other will follow soon, also the 22.3's could be moved.
All but one of our CC clerks are provided by an agency, the one UPS employee is non-union. Out CC is only open 6 hours.