customers refuses to sign from 12 - 1

probellringer

i think its the op's fault....YOU AS THE DRIVER must make these people feel like YOU are busier -leave it behind the counter and hand him the diad ready to go ---DRIVER MUST TRAIN CUSTOMER-- look real busy for this one guy --then go back to your routine..i personally hate schools and doctor offices.when you walk in-they all turn the other way or treat me as im invisible--so i go there right before they close .you know what happens-you say i can get here earlier -but get me out quick..its amazing how they all need US and find us when they have an ARS package

tracker2762

To add to previous post.
There are many businesses that are still present at their location but close the receiving. This would be the perfect time to take your lunch as well. It's a good opportunity to clean-up, use the restroom and relax. I don't deliver to any fastfood places so I don't know if they get deliveries everyday. I think there are many drivers that accommodate their customers and this seems to be something you can work with.

I GOT ONE MORE

Startling responses from this thread.

Without going into details, OPTIONS are always present.

Obviously, safety is first.

SERVICE insures our survival.

You can deliver between 1200 and 1300, you just cannot have an exception between that time frame.

Deal with it, you have options.

I deal with it every day having adjusted to the conditions.

Nothing like a happy customer that you must see every day.
:peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Leddy, turn it over to your sup and let him make the determination, then work as directed. I don't have this problem here. I walk into McD's and someone is there almost immediately be it the mgr or the asst or whoever is working the registers.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
...and you guys wonder where the S in UPS has gone?

What is the big deal about working with this guy and delivering outside of the 12-1 window (and I don't mean 1:01)?

Dave, if it is feasable I would probably agree with you but it may not always feasable. You have to take into consideration the over all concerns of the whole rte.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Good man. Everyone doesnt have this option. What if MCds for instance is at the very end of your route and to go back would mean adding 15 extra miles to your day?

People shouldnt be putting NR or NI for such situation. If they wont sign its simply refused. NR is for p/ups and Cods and NI could be considered falsifications seems how everyone knows that MCds is open before and after our hours.
Sword, I have used NI for hair and nail salons when the tech needed was not in but the shop was still open. Never been questioned on it.

............................and you cannot NI1 to a bus. during 12-1. BTDT.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The managers concern would be valid if you went in there and there were 45 people in line.

It isnt valid if you go in there and there are only 4 people in line, and the manager is mindlessly regurgitating some "corporate policy" against 12-1 deliveries without applying any common sense to it.

I did my time in fast food. The policy is intended to prevent time-consuming and disruptive bulk deliveries of produce or supplies during the lunch rush. It has nothing to do with signing for a parcel.

Use common sense. If the line is going out the door, come back later. If you can walk right up to the counter and the guy just stands there saying "I cant sign for that until 1:00, its policy" then sheet it as refused and send it back.

One dirty trick I have used when I really needed to get rid of a stop...is to hand them a delivery note and say "if you sign the back of this it will authorize me to try again tomorrow, otherwise I have to send it back". If you can fool them into signing the note, you can just leave the package right there and walk away.:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Why waste the time doing that Sober? If you are going to trick them into signing for the pkg by telling them you will send it back why not just hand them the diad and say, 'Sign or it goes back to the shipper'?

LeddySS98

Thanks for all the support/ideas here guys... Little more info. I have a 60/40 route... 60% of the day i deliver 40% I pickup... when the air is on time we leave at 9 and I start my route going after the air first and a some bulk stops... So i generally start my normal ground route from 10 -10:30. I have a air pickup run that has a 100 mile loop to it and i start it every day at 14:45 and I get back and drop my air off at 18:00... So that gives me from 10:00ish/10:30 - 1445 to make my 100ish stops 300 to 350pcs off before I trade trucks and start my air run. Since i'm stuck working till 1800 every day because of letter boxes there is no getting off early option. So on average from 10:15 to 14:45 I deliver and I usually take my lunch from 1400 - 1430. I usually have 40 to 60 stops done by the time I get to McD's... On that same mile stretch of businesses there is a Burger King, Arbys, tacobell, 2 coffee shops a sports bar, and a sonic, and none of them complain . Their are 2 other managers at mcd's that will sign and not have a problem with it.. its just this one guy. The lobby had 3 customers waiting for their food, and one person at the counter ordering. The drive thru has a line of cars stacked up. So inside, they truely were not busy on this particular day anyways. This guy is just simply a dick. 3 people waiting, 1 ordering and he cant spare 4 seconds of his time to sign?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Talk to the other mgrs, if that doesn't resolve the issue, RTS it.

I had a problem at one time with Sonic employees ignoring me standing there waiting for a signature. The last time it happened it was with a NDA for the mgr who was not there at the time. Unforunately for the employees I happened to know where the mgr lived. I took the NDA to her home and explained the situation. It was the LAST time I was ever ignored at the counter.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Why waste the time doing that Sober? If you are going to trick them into signing for the pkg by telling them you will send it back why not just hand them the diad and say, 'Sign or it goes back to the shipper'?

If it weighs 100 pounds or its an oversized irreg and I just spent 5 minutes busting my ass to haul it inside...I dont want it to go "back to the shipper", I want it gone!

Overpaid Union Thug

The thing some of you need to realize is that NO ONE is "too busy" to sign for a package. How long does it take most people to sign? Four seconds or less? COME ON PEOPLE! Its not like we are asking them to conduct a space shuttle launch while they are trying to run a restaurant.

SWORDFISH

Startling responses from this thread.

Without going into details, OPTIONS are always present.

Obviously, safety is first.

SERVICE insures our survival.

You can deliver between 1200 and 1300, you just cannot have an exception between that time frame.

Deal with it, you have options.

I deal with it every day having adjusted to the conditions.

Nothing like a happy customer that you must see every day.
:peaceful:

Wrong! The above underlined is incorrect advice. Closed is the only thing you cant have. (oh yeah and the people that are recording NI for businesses wich is not correct IMO).

Sword, I have used NI for hair and nail salons when the tech needed was not in but the shop was still open. Never been questioned on it.

............................and you cannot NI1 to a bus. during 12-1. BTDT.

NI is wierd to use for a businesses but whatever makes you happy. I wouldnt teach anyone this.

The manager is trying to work with the driver by politely asking him not to attempt delivery between noon and 1. Have you ever been anywhere near a Mickey D's at that time? Why would you even want to attempt delivery during that time? Managing a fast food joint is more than just serving the food--it is like running a daycare--and the last thing that manager needs is an impatient UPS driver. You may be right in that the manager may be on a power trip but he is trying to work with the driver--he could have just as easily picked up the phone and called in a concern. I just don't see the big deal in doing as the manager asks and delivering either before or after the lunch rush.

RTS refused and you may just end up with a corporate complaint.

How is being in a power trip and demanding that a driver not come during a certain time trying to work w/ a driver?

I think this has handle as though the receiving is closed between 12 and 1

-1 , They are open they can take the package.

overallowed

I have had this same problems with McDonalds. Even if it is late in the lunch hour and they r not that busy. I solved that problem by eating at the Sonic (smaller burger and fries chain in the midwest only) across the street to kill time waiting for his schedule to clear. The manager can see my truck over there and knows I'm taking lunch over there. They love me at sonic and have a free 44oz drink waiting for me every day. Will also accept pkgs anytime. Managers wife is QVC queen and can get 2 stops off at once.
Be resourceful. It's your job.

tracker2762

Target is also open between 12 and 1. They don't take deliveries from 12 to 1 What are you going to do take them through the front door. Good luck with that

SWORDFISH

I have had this same problems with McDonalds. Even if it is late in the lunch hour and they r not that busy. I solved that problem by eating at the Sonic (smaller burger and fries chain in the midwest only) across the street to kill time waiting for his schedule to clear. The manager can see my truck over there and knows I'm taking lunch over there. They love me at sonic and have a free 44oz drink waiting for me every day. Will also accept pkgs anytime. Managers wife is QVC queen and can get 2 stops off at once.
Be resourceful. It's your job.

Washington has SONIC.:wink2: Its a pandemic now, they are popping up everywhere. What do we do to contain this.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Wrong! The above underlined is incorrect advice. Closed is the only thing you cant have. (oh yeah and the people that are recording NI for businesses wich is not correct IMO).

Wrong. You cannot have any exception to a business during 12-1. Not even NI. And yes, you can deliver open business between 12-1.

NI is wierd to use for a businesses but whatever makes you happy. I wouldnt teach anyone this.

How is being in a power trip and demanding that a driver not come during a certain time trying to work w/ a driver?

-1 , They are open they can take the package.

No. If recv hrs are posted clo 12-1 (or whatever their posted hrs are) then we have to take it back after 1. That is SOP.