Damages now count as misloads?

aspenleaf

When my truck is bulked out at the end of the sort and I get NDA etc I save them (behind the truck) and then before I leave I go through the cabs of my other trucks until I get to the one I need and load the NDAs. Or I leave it for the driver to take up with him after the other guys pull out. I would not toss NDAs in the truck ever since you have no clue where they might land.

W

westsideworma

Oh, you are talking about padded enverolpes that we frisbee into to the 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 shelves?
OR
Are you talking about when its 7:30am, we are waiting for airs and our Supes tell us to "BULK IT OUT..." Then at 8:00am we can't get in to put the airs, seecond day airs, three day select packages?

haha frisbees are fun...they have to have a certain weight to them to work though (well to land in somewhat the right spot)

yeah don't you love that? (GET IT IN THE TRUCK NOOOOOW) I refuse to do it sometimes...pisses them off to no end but the drivers appreciate it as it is packed in a way so that things don't fall all over the place when they're taking turns etc. Much to the PAS gods dismay, some drivers (least at our hub) still like their airs left out so they can sort through it. :thumbup1:

helenofcalifornia

They used to try and prevent the drivers from having tape guns. Now just about every car has one, or a roll of tape. I don't think much is rewrapped anymore out in the unload or at the clerk's station. And reboxed??? Yeah, right.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
some drivers (least at our hub) still like their airs left out so they can sort through it.

In my center it is required that airs are left at the back of the package car. If you load an air you will hear about it. I personally like to have all my airs in a tote at the back so I can go to my 1030 commits in the board to make sure I have them all, and to see how many extras they dumped on me that aren't in the board!!! :mellow:

aspenleaf

In my center it is required that airs are left at the back of the package car. If you load an air you will hear about it. I personally like to have all my airs in a tote at the back so I can go to my 1030 commits in the board to make sure I have them all, and to see how many extras they dumped on me that aren't in the board!!! :mellow:

In my center it is up to the driver. I have one driver that likes his air in a tote and the others want them loaded in order on the shelf they are assigned.

Disillupsioned

I've seen a lot of pet peeves that are apparently the same everywhere. The best thing I've seen so far, though, is Lakeland's avatar!!! OMG. Anyway, I've been with UPS 15 yrs. I've done EVERY a.m. position and a few p.m. I drove for 8 yrs and took a 22.3 job that was air shuttle/porter. The union filed a grieveance and now I'm a preload/porter. However, and I AM getting to my point, I don't porter. I spend the second half of my day in the DMP area. DAMAGES. Our preload supe makes such a big deal about service that he is documenting. suspending and firing people for missloads. No one has lost a job permanently yet, thank the Lord. The point is he has the unload pushing out the volume SO hard that the damages we process BY FAR outweigh any missloads. Incidentally, for a preloader to get charged for a missload that for every conceivable reason may have as easily occurred on the package car is pretty much harrassment. I've taken a few lefts too fast havent you? I died inside every time I bumped a curb knowing what the car would look like on the inside at the next stop. Anyway, when they accuse me of anything lately all I say prove it. All we have to do is never steal, never say no, and always work to the best of our ability. I used to love this company. I pretty much still do. But I can't stand it when a manager or supervisor preaches about safety and/or service and then create circumstances/set goals where they are effectively impossible to maintain. Sorry, this is my first post and I felt the need to vent a little. As the person in charge of handling the DMP, I am finding it impossible to keep up with the damages. The supervisors and managers don't know the process as well as I do and the local sort usually leaves their work for me too. My last vacation district PE did an audit and fragged my center because nothing gets done when I'm not there. Last week I processsed probably 15-20 damages myself. I only process leakers/liquids, so that doesn't include the rest of the damages or the stuff on the local sort that they do manage to get done.

FromBluetoBrown

In my trucks the tape is kept on the gear shift...and our preload doesn't do a PCM. We spend the morning filling out those stupid safe working method sheets, the same ones every day. I'm going to start photocopying mine and just handing it in

I think it's important to hold preloaders accountable. If it's a blatant misload, than yeah, document away. Hopefully it will keep them aware and paying attention to detail. Especially if they aspire to be a driver it will only help them in the long run to be efficient. Don't get me wrong I hear your frustration, but it is a business. And I'd rather get paid UPS wages rather than DHL wages.

FromBluetoBrown

I think it's important to hold preloaders accountable. If it's a blatant misload, than yeah, document away. Hopefully it will keep them aware and paying attention to detail. Especially if they aspire to be a driver it will only help them in the long run to be efficient. Don't get me wrong I hear your frustration, but it is a business. And I'd rather get paid UPS wages rather than DHL wages.

And when they acquire mass amounts of paperwork and still have misloads, what is the next step? Beatings? Floggings? Taking away their birthday?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think it's important to hold preloaders accountable. If it's a blatant misload, than yeah, document away. Hopefully it will keep them aware and paying attention to detail.

It is also important to hold drivers accountable. Preloaders are asked to do more and more in less and less time so misloads and damages will get by them and on to the pkg cars. Drivers must do what they can to make service on the misloads and either retape the damages to make them deliverable or bring them back to the bldg for rewrap or RTS. I was taught when I first started that if we caught damages before delivery and RTS we paid wholesale to the shipper but if we delivered it and then had to P/U on damage call tag we paid retail to the shipper but I don't know if this still holds true--perhaps someone can help me with this.

However, and we have all done this, it is very frustrating when we take an obviously damaged pkg, write "Rewrap" on it and send it down the belt only to have it brought back up and loaded back on the car. I invariably take them for a ride and then sheet as damaged and bring in to the clerk at night. As I have stated before, I ask myself if I would want this pkg left at my front door and then act accordingly.

8up

i've heard that damages found at point of delivery are now to be recorded as missed. we do have preloaders that load obvious damaged packages just to get them on the car so they won't have to deal with them. this is not to say that the preloader damaged it, there is enough poor packaging and poor package handling upstream to account for the damage. but the preload in it's attempt to show production would rather load it than take the time to rewrap or repack. i've always had tape on car, both for the preloader or myself. pilfering has never been an issue, it's embarassing to me to be with the customer and their packages has an open flap, torn label or some other non issue that a strap of tape would have taken care of. i always let the customer decide if the package is damaged, some times it is more important that they get the product today or at least some of the product (in case of fall out) rather than deny them the deliver and make them wait for a replacement. of course none of this would be an issue if everyone handled the packages like they owned them, and i am not embarassed to tell a shipper if i don't think their package will make the journey when it is a glass vase packed in a shoe box with a piece of tissue paper for padding.