Dangerous territory

brown bomber

brown bomber
keep your money in a bank account, or money market and earn 0.25%,...while the rate of inflation is pushing 2.00%.......guess what you're losing money.....I'd prefer a much more diversified approach...majority of money in equities, still sitting on a bunch of cash,..alot invested in precious metals

keep your money in a bank account, or money market and earn 0.25%,...while the rate of inflation is pushing 2.00%.......guess what you're losing money.....I'd prefer a much more diversified approach...majority of money in equities, still sitting on a bunch of cash,..alot invested in precious metals
Gold and silver. not doing so good.

O

OLDMAN3

Correction?
Or the end of the longest bull market in history?
I am guessing the latter.

From the statistical analysis posted in the first post of this thread...
"If the index should decline over the next few years to a level comparable to previous major bottoms, it would fall to the vicinity of 500."

From an all time high of 2130 to ~ 500 is more than a 75% drop.

Good luck to you all.

rod

Retired 22 years
It will be a roller coaster for awhile. I remember when I first got into the market---I watched it everyday and would feel sick if it lost 25 points. Now a few hundred don't even phase me because I very seldom even check it because you have to be in it for the long haul. This correction going on now is just another speed bump that will eventually get better. What did it take to pull out of the 2008 plunge?--- about 5 or six years if I remember right.

O

OLDMAN3

What did it take to pull out of the 2008 plunge?--- about 5 or six years if I remember right.

It took 13 years to sustain market averages above highs of the year 2000.
And nearly 40 years to sustain prices above the 1929 highs.
According to the analysis in the first post the recent market is more overbought than 1929.

We are way overdue not for a correction but a major bear market...(Great depression)

rod

Retired 22 years
According to the analysis in the first post the recent market is more overbought than 1929.

We are way overdue not for a correction but a major bear market...(Great depression)

Sounds like its a good thing I buried my gold in coffee cans in the back yard.

[

oldupsman

We are way overdue not for a correction but a major bear market...(Great depression)]

If you got out a year ago what are you worried about. I'm not the least bit concerned. It goes up and it goes down.
Worse than 2008? It was down to 6000 in 2008. This isn't even close. It's just a long overdue correction.
I read that same web page you do. Alot of gloom and doom. Besides you don't lose anything until you sell.
This is not the time to sell.

oldupsman

If you got out a year ago what are you worried about? I'm not the least bit concerned. It goes up and it goes down.
Worse than 2008? It got down to 6000 in 2008. I read that same web site you do. Alot of gloom and doom.
You don't"lose" anything until you sell. This is not the time to sell.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there will always be gloom and doomers.

diversify and always be prepared for the worst , hope for the best.

my parents grew up in the great depression . they had nothing in the 30's but survived. they retired back in the 80's wealthy and are still very well off.

history teaches us to look at the BIG picture. look long term, not day by day .

Ms.PacMan

1877-1906 bull +334%
1906-1921 bear -69%
1921-1929 bull +396%
1929-1932 bear -81%
1932-1937 bull +266%
1937-1949 bear -54%
1949-1968 bull +413%
1968-1982 bear -63%
1982-2000 bull +666%
2000-2009 bear -59%
2009- ? bull

Edited to add overall gain or loss during each timeframe. (I ran out of time this morning)

Gains are higher during bull markets than losses during bear markets because bull markets typically last much longer than a bear market.

I would personally rather invest during bear markets and end up with thousands of more shares because they're cheaper. Look above and think about the lucky guy who worked from 1968-1982 during the longest bear market. I bet he didn't feel lucky until the next bull market when he watched his portfolio gain 666%.

Think about all those old supes who where given UPS stock at $30 their entire career - I don't think they're suffering now.