Dark day in my center

Coldworld

60 months and counting
brownman, your right. I had to chase dhl out of two of my accounts which switched part to dhl for the fast shipping back east, you know flying the ground stuff, Im not sure if they are doing that anymore. Something very positive that I saw on ebay was that ups was giving up to 31% discount for using paypal. Ebay is a huge thing that I really dont think ups has paid enough attention to. Now with the postal rates jumping, ups really has a potential to snag lots of usps volume. Usps is mor expensive than ups in all weight except 2 lbs and lower in all zones...so, why do customers still ship a 40 lb box with post office...with no tracking ability, no basic insurance. :confused:1:confused:1 I think that some people use fedex, even though they can be more expensive, because of our problem with DAMAGES. Im surprised that nobody has said anything about this. There's so many reasons for damages, some not ups' fault at all, but since fedex delivers less, they will have less damages and some people are starting to notice this.

TSup

I think you mean profit, not income....

No I said what I meant to.....

Net Income
In business, what remains after subtracting all the costs (namely, business, depreciation, interest, and taxes) from a company’s revenues. Net income is sometimes called the bottom line. Also called earnings or net profit.

Last edited:

browniehound

I thought net income and profit were pretty much the same thing??

Was 90 billion our total revenue? That seems much too high also? I thought it was in the 30 billion range.

According to Google... Total gross revenue for 2006. was 47.5 billion with a net profit (or net income if you prefer ) of 4.2 billion. Operating costs are a bitch, eh? :tongue_sm

Braveheart

As soon as the Teamsters "come down on their rates" UPS will be able to also.:thumbup1:
Well the company signed the contract just as much as we did in 2002 so go talk to them. Many of us asked for smaller raises and in its place better working conditions, pension improvements, an extra week off at 5 years but they gave us the bigger raises and we took them. $4 BILLION 200 MILLION in profit and we are overpaid, I think not. Hey I will take smaller raises but I will need A/C. And just as soon as the managers all take pay cuts we will talk. I think since we do not get any 401K matching funds they should make it even steven and take away the managers matching funds to make us more profitable. And while we are at it lets just trim down all those stock bonuses to make us more profitable. Fire 90% of the acct executives, give the drivers a bigger cut for sales leads since we are the ones they deal with anyway and again we are more profitable, leaner without all their salaries and benes gone, the drivers are more rewarded, and we can offer better rates. Fire 50% of the managers since we have EDD, PAS, and PAL, so managers are now just about worthless. WOW PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

Well the company signed the contract just as much as we did in 2002 so go talk to them. Many of us asked for smaller raises and in its place better working conditions, pension improvements, an extra week off at 5 years but they gave us the bigger raises and we took them. $4 BILLION 200 MILLION in profit and we are overpaid, I think not. Hey I will take smaller raises but I will need A/C. And just as soon as the managers all take pay cuts we will talk. I think since we do not get any 401K matching funds they should make it even steven and take away the managers matching funds to make us more profitable. And while we are at it lets just trim down all those stock bonuses to make us more profitable. Fire 90% of the acct executives, give the drivers a bigger cut for sales leads since we are the ones they deal with anyway and again we are more profitable, leaner without all their salaries and benes gone, the drivers are more rewarded, and we can offer better rates. Fire 50% of the managers since we have EDD, PAS, and PAL, so managers are now just about worthless. WOW PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

I think we are well paid for what we do...very well...I would take a pay freeze if the whole company takes a pay freeze. I remember the teamsters turning down a 401K match because it wouldn't be fair to all. (the more you put in to 401K the more match you'd get) You are right about EDD. It does make management obsolete.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
You are right about EDD. It does make management obsolete.

There's a reason for that, '89. Successful organizations of the future will have minimal ranks of middle management. Middle management is where communication breakdowns occur in many instances. Time to get rid of that problem. -Rocky

area43

Oh and one more thing hound, those socks remind me of my Grand Pa's socks minus the holes. Boy, did they stink! lol

Coldworld

60 months and counting

no, they need management to run around misloads!!!!

Hedley_Lamarr

In our center they are riding us hard on sales leads. It seems a bit desperate to me to have us trying to sell UPS whilst doing our routes. I told my on-car the other day I can either hustle delivering packages and coming in (under nine five) or I can stand around BSing with people about sales. But I can't do both...

Hedley_Lamarr

no, they need management to run around misloads!!!!
That kills me, I get sent home and the on-cars are running around with belt-puke/misloads. My shop steward tells me to file a grievence when I see a sup handling packages, when he is seeing them do so at the same time. I just made book, and I'm supposed to file grievences against my supervisors??

Hedley_Lamarr

I feel that we are compensated very well. Well, everyone except new part-timers. But everyone else surely is. That is why I stated that the huge pay raises should stop. I realize how much money UPS pays into our pensions as well as other things. That actuually boosts my point that despite all the money they compensate us with they are STILL able to post record profits. So the excuse that our union wages are the cuase for the rates being higher is just not believable to me. With that said....if we keep getting these huge raises then we will reach the point where that could be true. I don't want to see that happen.
Dude LOVE your sig. Reagan was the man. First president I voted for.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I just made book, and I'm supposed to file grievences against my supervisors??

Its always a judgement call on grieving a supervisor. Personally, I never did it, much to my steward's dismay. Management and I had an explicit agreement: don't work to p*ss me off and you won't have a problem. Work to p*ss me off and I'll grieve ya 8 ways from Sunday. All but one stopped when told to do so. All the union hourlies on this board will tell you to grieve no matter the circumstances but I say choose your battles with extreme care. -Rocky

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I got word today that my center just lost their biggest shipping account to FedEx. This place is a major manufacturer of medical equipment used all around the world. They ship out about 4 semi trailers everyday, about 40% of that is NDA. I don't even want to imagine what the fallout is going to be when it is all said and done. Rumor has it that the local sort is going to lose 9 part-timers and they are going to eliminate 2 feeder routes. The thing is FedEx has been dying to get this account for years, even undercutting us by a significant amount. I was always told that they much preferred UPS because of our far superior service. This just makes me wonder what the hell happened? Has anyone else had a major shipper leave their center? What happened there when they did? I'm curious.

give it a few months , we will get it back.

blue efficacy

I think we are well paid for what we do...very well...I would take a pay freeze if the whole company takes a pay freeze. I remember the teamsters turning down a 401K match because it wouldn't be fair to all. (the more you put in to 401K the more match you'd get) You are right about EDD. It does make management obsolete.
Yeah, let's freeze the poor loader in the hub at 8.50.