Das feeder

Moist

1)How Long Does It Take To Gain The Seniority To Become A Feeder? (Avg)

2)Are You Doing Long Haul Across 49/50 states or Is It More Regional Such As Western 11? Or Local Within State And Such (doubt)?

3)correct Me If Im Wrong Pkg Del Driver At Top Rate Make Roughly 76k (odd Number For me To Pull Outta My)? So Are The Feeders The Ones Making 90k?

4)now If Feeders Are Making are More Money And It Seems Pkg del Drivers On This Site Wanna Be Feeders (sarcastic Maybe but I Doubt...other Than They Dont Wanna Be fat And They Want A personal Life). Could You Go From pkg Del To Feeder For Say A Year Or Two stack That Extra Cash Then "demote" yourself Back To Pkg Del?

5)how Much Time Is Spent From Home? Back weekends? Hitch: 7 on 7 off/14 on 14 off Etc?

6)is Feeder The "best" (not Opinion, pay And Title) driving Job?

7)other Perks Benefits Being Feeder?

8)is The opening For Feeders "booming" as It Is For Pkg Del? If It Has How Has It Effected Q-1

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
troll_detected.png

KzooUPSer

Once you go Brown...
Can't answer a few, but PKG car drivers and Feeder drivers are both set to the same federal DOT restrictions, which are available by google search I'm sure, but basically there's a 60 hour weekly limitation of any compensated labor (so if you have another paid job it counts against these hours ) and a 14hr on: 10 off limitation. I think there are a few more limitations but those are the ones that affected me the most as a package car driver, especially since I worked Saturdays too..

I know, also, that in my region the typical feeder routes are daily "short" runs, such as Lansing to Kzoo, Chicago to Kzoo, etc... It's not logical that a center like, say, Grand Rapids, MI would wait to gather up a trailer full of packages to drive cross-country to LA...

Lets talk Pay... a top rate PKG care driver at $32/hr, working their MAX 60 hours a week for a theoretical 49 weeks (vacays, holidays, etc..) would make just under $110k plus benefits after factoring in OT.. This is not likely to happen, but it is potential... I'm not so sure feeders make more than pkg car drivers, but I'm fairly sure a feeder is not going to be offered anywhere near the same number of hours...

And, finally, if you can find a way to DRIVE to all 50 states (including Hawaii) you should DEFINITELY make this clear to the local UPS management, because your sorcery will be invaluable to the company!! ;-)

I'm sure others could answer some of these questions better, but I hope I could offer a little insight.

Go Brown Or Go Home!

1)How Long Does It Take To Gain The Seniority To Become A Feeder? (Avg)

2)Are You Doing Long Haul Across 49/50 states or Is It More Regional Such As Western 11? Or Local Within State And Such (doubt)?

3)correct Me If Im Wrong Pkg Del Driver At Top Rate Make Roughly 76k (odd Number For me To Pull Outta My)? So Are The Feeders The Ones Making 90k?

4)now If Feeders Are Making are More Money And It Seems Pkg del Drivers On This Site Wanna Be Feeders (sarcastic Maybe but I Doubt...other Than They Dont Wanna Be fat And They Want A personal Life). Could You Go From pkg Del To Feeder For Say A Year Or Two stack That Extra Cash Then "demote" yourself Back To Pkg Del?

5)how Much Time Is Spent From Home? Back weekends? Hitch: 7 on 7 off/14 on 14 off Etc?

6)is Feeder The "best" (not Opinion, pay And Title) driving Job?

7)other Perks Benefits Being Feeder?

8)is The opening For Feeders "booming" as It Is For Pkg Del? If It Has How Has It Effected Q-1
8 search and you will seek the wisdom your searching for.

Sent using BrownCafe App

KzooUPSer

Once you go Brown...
Oh, and as far as how much seniority you need to get a feeder position, this entirely depends on who else is bidding on the position(s) and how much seniority they have.

As far as the positions "Booming," the new contract negotiated is the reason there are so many pkg car jobs opening, UPS agreed to add I believe 2500 full time pkg car drivers. This, plus the implementation of ORION, which has resulted in a lot of long term drivers wanting to retire, are both factors when it comes to the sudden burst in hiring of pkg car drivers..

either I'm hallucinating or you're adding questions as we go..

I agree with "Go Brown," a lot of these answers are probably available with a little research.

KzooUPSer

Once you go Brown...
"TROLLING. What is trolling? Making extreme rude, disparaging or inflammatory comments just to get an emotional response. If you see someone "trolling" please use the report link to alert the moderators/troll catchers."

I've seen no "trolls" in this thread.. unless there is information available that I'm not privy to? Otherwise I think that's a misnomer :-/

Moist

Can't answer a few, but PKG car drivers and Feeder drivers are both set to the same federal DOT restrictions, which are available by google search I'm sure, but basically there's a 60 hour weekly limitation of any compensated labor (so if you have another paid job it counts against these hours ) and a 14hr on: 10 off limitation. I think there are a few more limitations but those are the ones that affected me the most as a package car driver, especially since I worked Saturdays too..

I know, also, that in my region the typical feeder routes are daily "short" runs, such as Lansing to Kzoo, Chicago to Kzoo, etc... It's not logical that a center like, say, Grand Rapids, MI would wait to gather up a trailer full of packages to drive cross-country to LA...

Lets talk Pay... a top rate PKG care driver at $32/hr, working their MAX 60 hours a week for a theoretical 49 weeks (vacays, holidays, etc..) would make just under $110k plus benefits after factoring in OT.. This is not likely to happen, but it is potential... I'm not so sure feeders make more than pkg car drivers, but I'm fairly sure a feeder is not going to be offered anywhere near the same number of hours...

And, finally, if you can find a way to DRIVE to all 50 states (including Hawaii) you should DEFINITELY make this clear to the local UPS management, because your sorcery will be invaluable to the company!! ;-)

I'm sure others could answer some of these questions better, but I hope I could offer a little insight.
Ha Yeah I Meant 48/49 states.
Thanks For The Response It did help. Im Just Starting W/UPS i Wanna Be A Pkg Del But wanted More Info because That could potentially Change My Goals.

I Know A Driver That Is Top Rate And Works ft I Was Under The Impression Her Made Roughly The Amount in Op.

Yeah That Wouldnt Be Realistic To Run Cross State.

Just A few Days Ago I Went Through 50 some Pages Of Posts On This Sub Forum And I Feel Like I Saw A Few People Want To Be Feeders. Was Curious to Know mainly why It Would Be Better Than Pkg Del. For Example On The What do You Do For Ups Thekid Said "feeder

I Wish".......why feeder?

Lastly If You Or Anyone Else Knows Do Feeders Get Paid Cents Per Mile At All Or Strictly Hourly?

Thanks Again

Moist

If your questions are genuine everything can be answered by a search or by talking to someone in your building.

Im Not officially On The Books With Ups Yet but Know Im Hired.

Dont Kno How Long youve Been With Ups But for me This Site Has Been Great For My searching.

Moist

Sorry I Must Have Misread i Thought I Clicked On Forums Then UPS discussions But My Dyslexia Must Be Kicking In. My Bad .Maybe Ill Join Back After I take My Meds And Realize Im The Manager.

"TROLLING. What is trolling? Making extreme rude, disparaging or inflammatory comments just to get an emotional response. If you see someone "trolling" please use the report link to alert the moderators/troll catchers."

I've seen no "trolls" in this thread.. unless there is information available that I'm not privy to? Otherwise I think that's a misnomer :-/

How have you been Bob? I hope your health is holding out having had that heart surgery.

KzooUPSer

Once you go Brown...
How have you been Bob? I hope your health is holding out having had that heart surgery.

Lol are you serious? I don't feel like a Bob... And, in my opinion, I don't think I look like a bob... I know a Bob though... a couple actually..

but, no... I'm sorry but I believe you are mistaken.. Are people so prone to be underhanded on here? Can't we save the alternative motives for UPS corporate management?

However, if you'd like, you can call me Bob... It'll be an adjustment though. As far as my health, I'm quite well, thanks for asking, that's very sweet of you :-)

KzooUPSer

Once you go Brown...
The first sign I had the job was when I signed my new employee packet...

The second sign was my first MRI showing tendonitis in my left shoulder...

I need no more reminders of the fact that i work for UPS :-/

Moist

The first sign I had the job was when I signed my new employee packet...

The second sign was my first MRI showing tendonitis in my left shoulder...

I need no more reminders of the fact that i work for UPS :-/
Thats A Pretty Awesome Avatar. Ya I Get A Fuzzy Feeling When Im Signed On Here. I know A Bit About Being A Driver Since I Know A Couple. Any Insight You Might Wanna Share Othrr Than Dont Do It Your Health Is At risk?

KzooUPSer

Once you go Brown...
I wouldn't say don't do it, just be safe and know that although management spouts safety left and right, the person who is responsible for your safety and therefore your job is you. If you don't take care of yourself and be safe, you wont last long at UPS, and you may just mess up your body for the rest of your life.

If there were one thing I'd go back in time and tell my past self: SLOW DOWN! UPS is successful in a big way because they push all their employees to their absolute limit. Most of us can do for a month or two what we could never do for the rest of our lives. If you start out giving 125%, management will always expect it from you, and they'll work you into the ground. Start at a reasonable pace, find safe shortcuts whenever possible, and use intelligence and experience to make your processing rate higher, not your knees and your back.

It's a great company to work for, honestly, but if you intend or even think to make it a life long career, you have to set a pace that wont destroy your body. Oh, and be prepared to have to fight for your safety and your happiness.