Data/Warehouse and other assorted questions

What exactly does the data/warehouse job entail? Is that a position that someone that has never worked for the company could get, or is it a bit higher up?
What does "sleeper team" mean?
When hiring drivers, I understand it's done from within. Do they mostly come from package handlers, or is there a step in between package handling and driving?
And a question about transfers. I've read that they really aren't allowed, have to quit and get a job at a different place. Is this true? And if I were a driver, say in Chicago, and for whatever reason had to move to... Charlotte, if driver positions were open, would I be able to get one, or would I have to start back at the bottom? And if I have to start back at the bottom, would my salary go down to that level, or would I be able to retain my salary that I was earning as a driver?
Thank you to anyone who can give me any information, it is greatly appreciated.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
What exactly does the data/warehouse job entail? Is that a position that someone that has never worked for the company could get, or is it a bit higher up? Sounds like a clerk job. If you see an ad for it, it could be yours. I just turned one down (it would have meant $1/hr pay cut and probably fewer hours/no more OT).
What does "sleeper team" mean? A two person team of tractor-trailer drivers in a truck with the extra large cab. Their workweek is something like 4 days solid, alternating driving duty.
When hiring drivers, I understand it's done from within. Do they mostly come from package handlers, or is there a step in between package handling and driving?I suppose one might consider "part-time" air (delivery service level) driver as a step in between.
And a question about transfers Nationally, only provision for a transfer is for part-time employees transferring schools, and that's only a provision, not a guarantee. I've read that they really aren't allowed, have to quit and get a job at a different place.Official policy is no rehiring, however, if you kept your nose clean, and make sure they check off positive on rehire status as you leave the first place, you might get hired in the second. Is this true? And if I were a driver, say in Chicago, and for whatever reason had to move to... Charlotte, if driver positions were open, would I be able to get one, or would I have to start back at the bottom? And if I have to start back at the bottom, would my salary go down to that level, or would I be able to retain my salary that I was earning as a driver? Unless you're going to an area that's desperately in need of drivers (and I can't speak for, let's say...Charlotte), you'll be back at the bottom of the list at the starting pay rate as a part-time employee.
Thank you to anyone who can give me any information, it is greatly appreciated.

brownrodster

What exactly does the data/warehouse job entail? Is that a position that someone that has never worked for the company could get, or is it a bit higher up?

Probably an address correction clerk. or an auditor of some sort.
In my building these jobs go to people with very high seniority. May take years to obtain this position. Depends on the building.

What does "sleeper team" mean?

Over the road tractor trailer drivers. The team means there are 2 people in the truck. One off duty while the other is on duty.

When hiring drivers, I understand it's done from within. Do they mostly come from package handlers, or is there a step in between package handling and driving?

It primarily goes on a seniority basis from the part time work force.
You go straight from part time to full time driving. There are part time driving positions such as saturday air driver. Sat air is where you are a normal hub slave during the week but drive a brown truck and deliver packages on saturday.

And a question about transfers. I've read that they really aren't allowed, have to quit and get a job at a different place.

Part times can transfer for educational purposes. I believe you have to get accepted to a school where you want to transfer before they will let you transfer.

Full time drivers in the western conference can transfer within the western conference but it is very hard to pull off. You put your name on a list and just hope.

And if I were a driver, say in Chicago, and for whatever reason had to move to... Charlotte, if driver positions were open, would I be able to get one, or would I have to start back at the bottom? And if I have to start back at the bottom, would my salary go down to that level, or would I be able to retain my salary that I was earning as a driver?

probably not going to happen.