Davis Out, Abney In - New Meat for the Old Bitching Beat

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS announced today that effective September 1, Scott Davis will retire as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) after 29 years of service. Scott will retain his role as Chairman of the UPS Board of Directors.

Replacing Scott as CEO will be current Chief Operating Officer David Abney.

Go to UPSers.com for more information.

moreluck

golden ticket member
UPS announced today that effective September 1, Scott Davis will retire as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) after 29 years of service. Scott will retain his role as Chairman of the UPS Board of Directors.

Replacing Scott as CEO will be current Chief Operating Officer David Abney.

Go to UPSers.com for more information.
I didn't realize Abney was still around. Knew him in Utah (I think)

'Lord Brown's bidding'

So Scott Davis has been with UPS 30 years? Where did he start, as much has been made about him being an "outsider"?

What's the low down on Abney? Start as a driver? Was he ever in operations?

moreluck

golden ticket member
So much of the griping has been about how Davis was an outsider........now, it's a guy who came from a part-timer (I think) and on up through operations and all the various jobs........

Watch, the griping will still continue.

oldngray

nowhere special
The problem is that the trend is to promote bean counters even if they are from inside UPS instead of people with more experience on the operations side in my opinion.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So much of the griping has been about how Davis was an outsider........now, it's a guy who came from a part-timer (I think) and on up through operations and all the various jobs........

Watch, the griping will still continue.
It will continue because the company will continue to move in the opposite direction of the philosophy of Jim Casey days.

Right or wrong I'm not here to argue that. Just stating facts.

wkmac

Of late, seems our CEO's go through a contract cycle and then head for the exits. IMO Davis leaving was not unexpected. The question was, would his replacement come from outside UPS or from the ranks. That seems answered now.

But is this the first CEO (Abney) who will not be the COTB as well? Davis keeping that position if I understand the OP correct.

In my 33 years don't remember that occurring so if anyone's UPS history is better, speak up as I'm curious on this point.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
"New meat for the old bitching beat"???
Seems to me that there is nothing old about the issues being bitched about in regards to company's policies and directives.
The only common, reoccurring theme is the company's continued desire to bleed more blood from the already emaciated turnip.
When looked at from that perspective, perhaps it is a fitting title as I doubt this guy will be any different?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Of late, seems our CEO's go through a contract cycle and then head for the exits. IMO Davis leaving was not unexpected. The question was, would his replacement come from outside UPS or from the ranks. That seems answered now.

But is this the first CEO (Abney) who will not be the COTB as well? Davis keeping that position if I understand the OP correct.

In my 33 years don't remember that occurring so if anyone's UPS history is better, speak up as I'm curious on this point.
Part of this is because at 10+ million a year how long do you really need to work.

I can tell you more than likely if I was a high level pro athlete I would of retired at 30 and enjoyed the rest of my life.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Part of this is because at 10+ million a year how long do you really need to work.

I can tell you more than likely if I was a high level pro athlete I would of retired at 30 and enjoyed the rest of my life.
When a CEO is not promoted until his 50's with 20 + years with the company, it is not the money that they are interested in.
I've known and been around 5 CEOs and none of them needed the money ... it is about creating change and having a legacy and most importantly, the power to effect their goals to to create that change and legacy.

oldngray

nowhere special
When a CEO is not promoted until his 50's with 20 + years with the company, it is not the money that they are interested in.
I've known and been around 5 CEOs and none of them needed the money ... it is about creating change and having a legacy and most importantly, the power to effect their goals to to create that change and legacy.

So its a power trip to them similar to politicians? And I disagree about money. Otherwise they would refuse or return some or all of their compensation.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ideally, his first action as CEO would be to show up unannounced at an actual operating center and spend a week or two seeing for himself what a complete custerfluck ORION is in the REAL world. I doubt his handlers and minions would allow that to happen, but its a nice thought nonetheless.

oldngray

nowhere special
Ideally, his first action as CEO would be to show up unannounced at an actual operating center and spend a week or two seeing for himself what a complete custerfluck ORION is in the REAL world. I doubt his handlers and minions would allow that to happen, but its a nice thought nonetheless.

Abney is one of the people who forced ORION on everyone. Do you expect him to admit its a failure now?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So its a power trip to them similar to politicians? And I disagree about money. Otherwise they would refuse or return some or all of their compensation.
Sure.
Other than Davis, these people became CEOs with a wealth between 10 and 20 million or more in today's dollars.

People not in the know think a CEO has a great life but it is pretty much of a crappy life to people like you and me.
They travel all the time, they are on conference calls in the middle of the night, there is no such thing as a real vacation ... CEOs are owned by UPS 24/7/365.