Day after Thanksgiving

peacock

I received a text message today "You're scheduled to work on Friday after Thanksgiving."
UPS.com says this is a UPS Holiday. Delivery and pickup of air and international packages only.
I did not sign up on the list to work the day after Thanksgiving. If not enough people volunteer on that signup sheet to work, I know the lowest seniority employees are forced to work. Does this refer to part time/utility drivers or full time drivers only? Can a low seniority employee decline or refuse? (for example, if Joe is out of town for Thanksgiving, he can't drive back to town to work - so can anyone "say" they are out of town for that day and decline the work? What kind of verification is required for those who decline the work?)

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
It should start from the bottom with Exception air drivers (or equivalent) and work up from there. You can't decline, only call in sick which may or may not be a problem for you depending on your attendance record. If you do work I would demand your 8 hour guarantee if you are a friend/t driver.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's just another work day. They won't be happy if you call in but that's true all year long. Depending on your supplement you may not get paid for the holiday.
As has been noted you can't "refuse" to work. That will get you fired.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They put the list up in my center of who will be working Black Friday. They started at the bottom and worked their way up. 8 names were on the list. There were also 4 blank lines for FTers who want to work. If they get more than 4 FTers each subsequent FTer would replace the highest seniority PTer. I am on vacation but if I weren't I would be working---it is such easy money.

undies

Requesting to get your 8 hours on the days after holidays is fun. If you're lucky, they'll just try to send you home.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In some areas if you are forced to work a holiday you get double pay on top of your 8hrs of holiday pay. If your top scale driver and request 8hrs you could be making about $95/hr or about $760 for one days work!!!

over9five

Staff member
Another huge difference between Package and Feeders. No-one is ever forced to work these kind of days.
There is a sign up list, anyone who would like to work signs. The scheduled jobs get picked by seniority. I have 25 years in, I couldn't have worked if I wanted to. All the highest seniority people always work these kind of days. They must hate their wives or vice versa. Good for them, I'd rather be home!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In some areas if you are forced to work a holiday you get double pay on top of your 8hrs of holiday pay. If your top scale driver and request 8hrs you could be making about $95/hr or about $760 for one days work!!!

Several years ago, the company tried to take the position that if you "volunteered" to work the day after....

You were paid straight time for all hours worked + holiday pay. If you were forced, double time for hours worked + holiday pay.

Another example, of where the company tried to ignore the plain meaning of the language.... to suit them. They lost.

The only exception was, if you were scheduled as an "air support employee". Article 40.

But, they had to exhaust using all employee's in the air classification first.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We are paid straight time for both the holiday and if we choose/are forced to work in my district.

I should have mentioned, that grgrcr88 and I, are in the same regional supplement.

There are a lot different provisions.... all around the country.

For example, you have talked about "snow days" ? Not here....

-Bug-

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I should have mentioned, that grgrcr88 and I, are in the same regional supplement.

There are a lot different provisions.... all around the country.

For example, you have talked about "snow days" ? Not here....

-Bug-

Amazing how different areas are so different around the same company!!

So is it double pay for everyone that works holidays on top of the 8hr holiday pay? I know I could look it up but if you know I'll save some trouble!!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Amazing how different areas are so different around the same company!!

So is it double pay for everyone that works holidays on top of the 8hr holiday pay? I know I could look it up but if you know I'll save some trouble!!

Does your husband know.... you are using his account ?

-Bug-

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes here it's double time plus the holiday pay. So essentially triple time. Same for New Year's Eve. Few years ago I made around 900 one New Year's Eve. I never volunteer for the day after thanksgiving though. I enjoy that 4 day weekend.

UPSGUY72

It's time and a half plus holiday pay in my center. They put a list up last week for people to sign up. If they don't get enough people to sign the list they force from the bottom.

If your working and you call in somebody better have died or you better have Dr note on Monday.

over9five

Staff member
It's time and a half plus holiday pay in my center. They put a list up last week for people to sign up. If they don't get enough people to sign the list they force from the bottom.

If your working and you call in somebody better have died or you better have Dr note on Monday.
Why? Is that spelled out like that in your supplement? How is it different from any other day?