Day after Thanksgiving

Buck Fifty

Its triple time if volunteer ( Holiday + Double time ) Double time if forced (Holiday + Straight time ). $90 and hr. Put me down for 8 please !!!

texan

Another huge difference between Package and Feeders. No-one is ever forced to work these kind of days.
There is a sign up list, anyone who would like to work signs. The scheduled jobs get picked by seniority. I have 25 years in, I couldn't have worked if I wanted to. All the highest seniority people always work these kind of days. They must hate their wives or vice versa. Good for them, I'd rather be home!

I agree, but I am compelled to work this day.
I have two less senior younger ones who asked me "please" so they could be home with their loved ones.
Not the hero, just that I want to Bless them. So double time for me that day I believe.
It will help to buy gifts for the grandchildren in Dec.

kingOFchester

I agree, but I am compelled to work this day.
I have two less senior younger ones who asked me "please" so they could be home with their loved ones.
Not the hero, just that I want to Bless them. So double time for me that day I believe.
It will help to buy gifts for the grandchildren in Dec.

A true brother.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why? Is that spelled out like that in your supplement? How is it different from any other day?

Let's say you have 8 drivers covering the area normally covered by 26. The areas are set up and work dispatched accordingly, taking in to account any 8 hour requests (we normally have none). Driver calls in---the work that is on that car now has to be cut and added to the remaining drivers who, for the most part, don't want to be there anyway. So now you have 7 pissed off drivers along with a pissed off PDS and center manager. As was said above, if you're working and you call in somebody better have died or you better have Dr note on Monday.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I lose 4 to 5 hours of overtime due to the 2 days of holiday pay. If I work 3 or 4 hours on Friday I basically break even. Screw that. 4 day pre peak vacation.

over9five

Staff member
Let's say you have 8 drivers covering the area normally covered by 26. The areas are set up and work dispatched accordingly, taking in to account any 8 hour requests (we normally have none). Driver calls in---the work that is on that car now has to be cut and added to the remaining drivers who, for the most part, don't want to be there anyway. So now you have 7 pissed off drivers along with a pissed off PDS and center manager. As was said above, if you're working and you call in somebody better have died or you better have Dr note on Monday.
Please link to the policy or contract language that says someone has to die for you to call in sick that day. I would also like to see the contract language that a doctors note would be required for that day, but not any other day of the year.
I'm just saying if you're sick, STAY HOME! The rest of us (and UPS's customers) don't want to catch it.
They can't ask you for a doctors note for one sick day, and no-one has to have died.
And I don't know about you, but I'm a big boy. I don't care if the management team or other drivers don't agree with my decision to use MY sick days.

Please link to the policy or contract language that says someone has to die for you to call in sick that day. I would also like to see the contract language that a doctors note would be required for that day, but not any other day of the year.I'm just saying if you're sick, STAY HOME! The rest of us (and UPS's customers) don't want to catch it.They can't ask you for a doctors note for one sick day, and no-one has to have died. And I don't know about you, but I'm a big boy. I don't care if the management team or other drivers don't agree with my decision to use MY sick days.
Am I wrong or do I sence a little bit of anger toward Dave in your post?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
no sick days ever and only two options. I swore I wouldnt work this Friday, but having been poor at one time, I cannot turn down 90$ an hour for Clo 1. Take a coffe break, Clo 1. 5 hrs, list is paid for. And yes the drs note, or you cant call off is bs. They may make your life miserable, but........dont they daily anyway?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Got a question we have some drivers that signed up to work but are just on call. My question is do the air drivers that are working over them have that right or should the FT drivers be able to bump them.

peacock

So, I was informed by my S. S. on Monday that because they scheduled me to work without my consent for the Friday after a week in advance, it's not considered "being forced" to work. He also added that if they tell me on Wednesday or on the actual day that I have to work then it is considered "being forced". What do you make of that. Thoughts?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Got a question we have some drivers that signed up to work but are just on call. My question is do the air drivers that are working over them have that right or should the FT drivers be able to bump them.

Air drivers will work before anyone else. FTers can bump any casuals who are forced to work that day but cannot bump air drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, I was informed by my S. S. on Monday that because they scheduled me to work without my consent for the Friday after a week in advance, it's not considered "being forced" to work. He also added that if they tell me on Wednesday or on the actual day that I have to work then it is considered "being forced". What do you make of that. Thoughts?

Your S.S. (?) is right. The scheduling procedure for non-operational days is in the contract. Air drivers first then force from the bottom up and supplement with FT volunteers. FTers can bump casuals but cannot bump air drivers. Pay code 5E.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Please do not change my quotes.

In our center they use air drivers first and then force from the bottom up until they have enough drivers. They will supplement with any FTers who volunteer. Each FTer beyond their staffing needs bumps a forced casual. If enough FTers volunteer to fill their staffing then no casuals will be forced to work.

Box_Junkie

This is what I want to know! I signed up, but they still put me on-call and have all the air drivers working ahead of me. They did however let 2 high seniority drivers who signed up for 8 hrs work also.

outta hours

Its a 3 day work week with two paid holidays. If they scheduled you to work Friday, you should have been off either mon,tue,or wed. I would always defer to my steward, or business agent for these answers. I would never trust what a mgr told me regarding contractual rights. I'm not saying that they would purposely be less than truthful (which does happen too), but often they are misinformed. If you find out after the fact they were wrong it doesnt matter to them they got what they wanted out of you. Make the call and find out for sure.