DDomino

U

ups79

in one of your post you mentioned strike. What leads you to believe there will be a strike? If you were around in 97' what was gained by a strike? Who wins during a strike? Why are you unhappy?

B

boswharfs

The question isn't what was won in the 97 strike. The question is what was saved in the 97 strike. Prior to going out on strike, I had no use for the union. I was 100% company and thought we were looking at a good contract. That was until I read the actual pages on the table (I got the pages 2 days before we went out). I was stunned. There was heavy language to subcontract the majority of the feeder jobs. There was a new definition in the contract, "time definite packages" - which we now know is everything we deliver. Part timers were now going to be able to deliver any or all "time definite packages". So while only being considered part time they could work upwards of 40 hrs. and get paid half rate and half pension contribution for full time work. The pension, while it seemed an improvement had interesting language which was going to pay 1/2 for your part time years and 1/1 for your full time years (essentially what we have now). The difference was that the max would be paid for 35 "combined" years max. So once you hit 35 you maxed out, but the longer your part-time service the lower your possible max out. In our area the majority of drivers retire out of feeders. If the feeder jobs are filled from the outside and the company holds the pension,you have to do 35 in a brownie. Most bodies here break down before that. That at least changed the way I look at the company and was the beginning of my education about unions.

D

ddomino

Well I was around in 97 when we went on strike. You think nothing was gained? Maybe not for you or I. Well the union gained $11 a month from every full time member for a strike fund. The company, and I already know what you will say so don't bother, was able to DUMP all those packages that were not profitable, just to get them back some time in the near future for published or close to published rates, boost profits, make themselves look like a victim of the union, and then go PUBLIC. Coincidence? well of course you think so. Not me.

Do you know why we were on strike? Well I fill you in. The company wanted to take over the pension fund. What does the union have in their corner? Only the pension fund. The company could not believe the Teamster contract team would even bend a little on the pension. I am not saying either way is better. I'm not sure right now. I do know hall and Ron Carey would not EVER allow the company to take over the pension. No question about it.

Why do I think we could have a strike in 08? Well if you are a driver like me, I am tired of being <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font> on by management. They want more production, while paying us less per package. They are going to go after the pension again, and if Hoffa has any balls he will do as Hall and Carey did, not even present it to the rank and file. Remember those mailings during the strike telling us the union was the evil one, if they would only present the offer to rank and file. Wrong. Why to they call it collective bargaining? Because the company has a team and the union has a team. They "collectivly" come to an agreement. You don't sell it right to the rank and file as the company tried to.

I am unhappy because after 22 years, 17+ as a full time driver, I am no longer able to sit down to dinner with my family. Something that happened more than four times a week on average before the company changed the rules. Now I can sometimes see them get into bed, most times they are already there before I get home.

D

ddomino

ups79

I'm still waiting...................................................................................................................................................

P

pkgdriver

Well I was around in 97 when we went on strike. You think nothing was gained? Maybe not for you or I. Well the union gained $11 a month from every full time member for a strike fund. The company, and I already know what you will say so don't bother, was able to DUMP all those packages that were not profitable, just to get them back some time in the near future for published or close to published rates, boost profits, make themselves look like a victim of the union, and then go PUBLIC. Coincidence? well of course you think so. Not me.

I think we went PUBLIC before that

D

ddomino

If you own stock, check you mellon one account. It tells we went public on 11/11/1999 the day after the last split.

D

derf3733

I agree 100% with the Post on Wednesday, October 05, 2005. The union in my mind will never present us with a contract where the Company takes over the pension. Even if it has $5/hr raises in it for the life of the contract. It just won't happen. And I to am sick of getting home every night after 8pm. I'd walk out now if the pilots go on strike.

D

derf3733

Been on Pas almost 2 years, seems to get worse instead of better. But doesn't everything go like that at the Parcel

D

ddomino

Derf,

It has not always been that way. I'v been here for 22 years. Alot has changed. Most things in the past were good for the company, good for the customer, and so-so for the drivers. This pas along with the time adjustment, legal stealing by UPS, has put most in a state of mind about UPS that they have never had before. Before more work meant more money, more packages del or pu meant more money. Today more money doesn't exist, only more work.

When we started the next day air service in the eairly 80's we went out of our way to make service. One day I ran over 100 miles to pick up and then del a next day package missorted to a different center. There were countless days I went to Phila int'l airport to pick up and del line flights. These were pkgs we missed and sent on commercial airlines at $70.00 for a letter. We used to care about service.