Why not take vacation Aug 1st?

R1wonder

I’m off he first week , ending august 6, I needed it for kids travel baseball tournament. So if there’s a strike I can’t make the first week . But I’ll have my paycheck in the bank

raceanoncr

Anyone who took vacation in august is letting all their union brothers down , we need you on the picket line.
✊🧔‍♂️
In '97, I inadvertently took two weeks off in Aug. I never take two weeks off in a row. Just did. Strike came, got vacation pay, was on picket line every day for more hours than was asked for.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
The hole situation with the current steward is unfortunate. Our old steward retired, and this guy took over as interim. I called BA to ask when election was, he said the interim needed to withdraw, so we could have election. Current steward says "well, unless someone else really wants it I'm staying. It's free money.".
Much senior driver than I, small center. I don't want to step on toes. So it's been this way for 16 months.

Thebrownblob

The hole situation with the current steward is unfortunate. Our old steward retired, and this guy took over as interim. I called BA to ask when election was, he said the interim needed to withdraw, so we could have election. Current steward says "well, unless someone else really wants it I'm staying. It's free money.".
Much senior driver than I, small center. I don't want to step on toes. So it's been this way for 16 months.
Free money? He gets paid.? if you have elections the interm steward should not just take over without an election. Ask to see the bylaws of your local..

Thebrownblob

I have never seen the by-laws, I will admit.
He doesn't pay his dues, in return for being steward.
Gotcha yes, some locals do that. Kind of a crappy reason to want to be a steward. Definitely ask about the bylaws doesn’t seem very likely that an alternate or interm steward would just take over without election after the head Steward leaves.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Gotcha yes, some locals do that. Kind of a crappy reason to want to be a steward. Definitely ask about the bylaws doesn’t seem very likely that an alternate or interm steward would just take over without election after the head Steward leaves.
He's set to retire in 18 months, so I figure I'd just learn and work with guys without the "title". Most guys come to me with issues anyways, and I'll approach steward if need be.
He is responsive at least when there's an issue, he just needs to be coaxed.

reginald95

I usually take the first 2 weeks in August off but this year, all the slots were filled with old timers with 20+ years of driving seniority.

You would think those guys would were here during the last strike would be better prepared for the strike.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Go eff yourself
IMG_2166.png

R1wonder

Anyone who took vacation in august is letting all their union brothers down , we need you on the picket line.
✊🧔‍♂️
There will be plenty of guys out there even if the small percentage of guys on vacation can’t be. If we strike more than a week I’ll be there . I’m gonna be upset if we strike and I can’t be there to support , but I can’t miss the kids travel tournament, it’s the last and biggest of the season