Dealing with Heat Exhaustion.

Pip

Well, I finally found out what heat exhaustion is. Last night at work I got a good dose of it. This was the first time it ever hit me like this. It was hot yesterday,around 100 or so. Was sweating my butt off is the shop and thought i was drinking enough fluids. about 8pm it finally hit me like a ton of bricks. One of the car washers found me laying in the middle of the shop floor passed out. Don't remember going down, But I remember being sick on my stomach with cramps, headache, weak and dizzy(more then normal). really didn't pay much attention to it, just figured I was having a bad day.

He called the local sort supervisor I think and a couple people started to get fluids in me and tend to me. She got me up and we walked to the diad room to sit in the A/C a little to cool down. I refused to go to the hospital to get checked out when she asked, figuring it wasn't that bad after i started to move around and get cooled down. She called my Automotive supervisor (who is a pretty good guy) and he came down around 9:30pm or so and checked my blood pressure, and made sure I was ok. I am still feeling the effects this morning.

I can't remember ever being hit like this, usually deal with the heat pretty good, at least in the past, anyways. Maybe it has something to do with turning 40 this past year, hard to tell.

I'm pretty sure we all know about dealing with the heat in general. Just becareful, specially you guys driving. When it hits, it hits hard. Pay attention to the signs if it is really hot out.

Recognizing Heat Exhaustion

Warning signs of heat exhaustion include:

heavy sweating ,paleness , faintness ,tiredness , muscle cramps ,weakness ,headache, dizzy ,nausea or vomiting.

The skin may be cool and moist. The victim's pulse rate will be fast and weak, and breathing will be fast and shallow. If heat exhaustion is untreated, it may progress to heat stroke.

NVBrown

When I was in the big Desert with the Military we had a gentleman suffer some serious issues because of Heat stroke. Once you get to that stage your temperature monitoring no longer works properly.

Never turn down medical treatment. It's better safe then sorry!!.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Found this little blurb...

Your body is 60% water -- and not drinking enough can wreak havoc from head to toe. Up to half of all Americans suffer chronic mild dehydration that can cause fatigue, headache, loss of appetite, dry eyes and mouth. As we age, thirst becomes a less sensitive indicator of dehydration, so don't wait until you're thirsty to grab a glass. If you work out, drink more during intense physical activity, when dehydration is a real threat -- your body rapidly loses water through sweat and vapor in exhaled air. A rapid water loss of 5% of body weight can reduce muscular work by 20 - 30%.

lovetokayak

I have a hard time drinking enough fluids most of the time, so I literally make a "job" out of it to keep hydrated. Last week half way into the day with temperatures around 98 degrees, I found myself thinking how I wish there was a large pool somewhere filled with Gatorade.

In addition to Pip's list of symptoms I would also add (as gross as it my be) the color and smell or urine. If you are dehydrated it will have a strange odor and will have dark yellow and cloudy color. (Sorry if anybody thinks it's nasty.) In addition to drinking fluids, I found salt tablets are also helpful to help ease cramping and bringing your body's salt levels back up a bit.

Pip, I hope you are doing better!!

M

Muttley45

FWIW, I'm certainly no expert, but from playing football we heard that salt tabs are now considered to be of no help-it actually makes the condition worse. They say that the body recognizes the excessive salt (sodium) coming in & stops producing it itself. They always made me throw up anyway. Water/gatorade seems to be the drink of choice.

diesel96

I'd recommend drinking much more water than Gatorade(like 80%water 20%gatorade)replenishes electrolites but lots of man made sugar.Eating fruit throught the day mixed with plenty of water and an occasional gatorade help me get by many a hot and humid days and kept my appetite low as to not eat a huge lunch.Smoothie or protein shake will help also.Being a coffee drinker in the AM I try to stay away from additional Caffine /Taurine energy drinks during the day.To much caffine is not good for you or your BP.

area43

Well, I finally found out what heat exhaustion is. Last night at work I got a good dose of it. This was the first time it ever hit me like this. It was hot yesterday,around 100 or so. Was sweating my butt off is the shop and thought i was drinking enough fluids. about 8pm it finally hit me like a ton of bricks. One of the car washers found me laying in the middle of the shop floor passed out. Don't remember going down, But I remember being sick on my stomach with cramps, headache, weak and dizzy(more then normal). really didn't pay much attention to it, just figured I was having a bad day.

He called the local sort supervisor I think and a couple people started to get fluids in me and tend to me. She got me up and we walked to the diad room to sit in the A/C a little to cool down. I refused to go to the hospital to get checked out when she asked, figuring it wasn't that bad after i started to move around and get cooled down. She called my Automotive supervisor (who is a pretty good guy) and he came down around 9:30pm or so and checked my blood pressure, and made sure I was ok. I am still feeling the effects this morning.

I can't remember ever being hit like this, usually deal with the heat pretty good, at least in the past, anyways. Maybe it has something to do with turning 40 this past year, hard to tell.

I'm pretty sure we all know about dealing with the heat in general. Just becareful, specially you guys driving. When it hits, it hits hard. Pay attention to the signs if it is really hot out.

Recognizing Heat Exhaustion

Warning signs of heat exhaustion include:

heavy sweating ,paleness , faintness ,tiredness , muscle cramps ,weakness ,headache, dizzy ,nausea or vomiting.

The skin may be cool and moist. The victim's pulse rate will be fast and weak, and breathing will be fast and shallow. If heat exhaustion is untreated, it may progress to heat stroke.

Pip, Im glad your ok. Yesterday(monday) was a hot one here tooo. Im in Virgina. Curious, I was thinking this last weekend, I wonder how much water each driver drinks. I carry two 3/25 gallon gugs with me. I feel them up with ice and water from the fridge, before I leave in the morning. By monday afternoon, I had downed one easily. The Cafe I eat at let me fill it up with ice and water. That was nice(reloaded). While I ate lunch I downed to 16 oz cups of water. During the rest of the day I finshed off the 2 gugs, plus bought a 1 liter and drank that. Then when I got home I drank a glass of water with my dinner. Then when I sleep at night I keep a one litter bottle by my bed and sip on that perodically when I wake up intermintelly at night. As you can see the number of gallons is up there(3 1/2 to 4 gallons a day). That is what I drank monday on July 9 2007. Can anyone tell me, how much they average a day in water consumption? Pip, I hope you feel better, take care a43.

swing_drv

I know this will never happen. But when it's really hot like this I wish management would stop breaking down routes and combining loads !!!!!! And letting drivers go home.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Don`t we get a variation of this same thread about once a month?! :confused:1
Yes we do, and it needs to keep going, if its of no interest, pass on by. Newcomers need to heed the advice.

I drank at least a gallon today, official temp 96 but that was 15 niles from town where its all concrete and asphalt, much hotter in town, I saw a few 100s, posted.
At about 610 I had a stop at a friendly persons house where I took 15 minutes of my break and totally doused myself at the pool,and was totally refreshed the rest of the day. Had a glass of tea, and cooled my hoofies. At this point its not about looking professional, its survival. Nobody looks proffessional sweating anyway. Ive never had sweat stains on my clothes tioday I did, hot for here. Taking care of us on the hottest day of the year so far was not in the IE plan, did not seem to be priority in dispatching, so surviving it was. Take care of #1, if you dont no one else will.

satellitedriver

I'd recommend drinking much more water than Gatorade(like 80%water 20%gatorade)replenishes electrolites but lots of man made sugar.Eating fruit throught the day mixed with plenty of water and an occasional gatorade help me get by many a hot and humid days and kept my appetite low as to not eat a huge lunch.Smoothie or protein shake will help also.Being a coffee drinker in the AM I try to stay away from additional Caffine /Taurine energy drinks during the day.To much caffine is not good for you or your BP.
You are right with your ratio of gatorade to water intake. Excessive intake of an electrolyte(sp) supplement without ample water will have an adverse effect on your heart. A thin cotton towel/bandana worn losely around the neck is a great way to keep your core body temp down.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
stay away from soda thats the worst in the heat,also i used to take a quick garden hose shower when doing resy stops in extreme heat!! had 1 customer that let me use the shower in his corp. office,nice guy,boy i took care of him when he needed a favor!!!!!!

Raw

Raw Member
Yes we do, and it needs to keep going, if its of no interest, pass on by. Newcomers need to heed the advice.

I drank at least a gallon today, official temp 96 but that was 15 niles from town where its all concrete and asphalt, much hotter in town, I saw a few 100s, posted.
At about 610 I had a stop at a friendly persons house where I took 15 minutes of my break and totally doused myself at the pool,and was totally refreshed the rest of the day. Had a glass of tea, and cooled my hoofies. At this point its not about looking professional, its survival. Nobody looks proffessional sweating anyway. Ive never had sweat stains on my clothes tioday I did, hot for here. Taking care of us on the hottest day of the year so far was not in the IE plan, did not seem to be priority in dispatching, so surviving it was. Take care of #1, if you dont no one else will.
WOW!! A high temperature today in Ohio of 79` !!! Get me my icepack!! When it`s 79` down here in Florida some where a jacket! From what I`m reading here some of you wouldn`t survive down here in Florida with a temp of 95` and 100% humidity!! :lol:

705red

Browncafe Steward
WOW!! A high temperature today in Ohio of 79` !!! Get me my icepack!! When it`s 79` down here in Florida some where a jacket! From what I`m reading here some of you wouldn`t survive down here in Florida with a temp of 95` and 100% humidity!! :lol:
Raw why would you post complaining about this thread then come back and reread the thread that you just complained about. You are aware that we have new members joining daily and this is some good advice for all of them. Then you asume to know the temperature were we are all at and tell us we wouldnt make it where you are at, really? You know this how? You must be some sort of genius, either that or maybe a weather man!

Pip you did the right thing and posted what you felt we (upsers) needed to know and how to avoid this from happening to us through your experiences and thats what we are all here for!

Raw stay out of the heat i think its affecting your judgements!

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I just started working with UPS abot 2.5 months ago. The very first day I worked the feeders, I thought I was going to die (Not even August yet :) ) So, the second day I started UPS I brought my Camelback. This is a lifesaver for me. I wear it EVERY morning when working. I also use it when I mow my yards (including mine). Its non obtrusive when working too!