Sent home because of a "long break"

AccidentProne

To quote one of the workers that had been working here for a decade : "Take your time".
Yeah, take your time so you don't get hurt, but not take your time where your not doing work.
doesnt matter if I take too long to finish a trailer, ill still get paid the same, not to mention I noticed some supervisors would usually move me to a harder, more friend-ed up trailer after I tackle an easy one.
They give you easy trailers and put you with others because they know you suck dick at your job.
Why work hard if ill be working harder than the average Joe next to me, with the same amount of pay? I guess that explains why some workers (especially the sweepers) here work purposefully slow, they know they can't fire them for being slow, were already quite understaffed as hell anyways, and if it means more money on their paycheck, then why not?
Because when they get the chance to replace you, they will. The feeders work safely so they don't run someone over and according to the unload/load rate, they cannot move trailers until they're finished.

XboxJuan

Dallas
They give you easy trailers and put you with others because they know you suck dick at your job.
If that happens to be the case then how come I'm always get sent to irreg trailers and im usually the last one to leave? Not to mention im probably the only one that decided to stay after a year, most of the new hires seem to stay for the peak season pay and immediately leave. You just assume that because I took too long to finish a long trailer in a HOT environment. But then again, judging from your replies, you're probably the kind of guy to work hard 24/7 no matter the circumstance because you don't know any better.

Because when they get the chance to replace you, they will. The feeders work safely so they don't run someone over and according to the unload/load rate, they cannot move trailers until they're finished.
They probably won't considering almost everyone here works the same, I haven't seen anyone use a loadstand, and they gotta be dumb to even lay me off considering we've been understaffed in quite a while.

AccidentProne

If that happens to be the case then how come I'm always get sent to irreg trailers and im usually the last one to leave?
Because you're lazy. If you're going slow in my local, the sups will save a trailer for you so you can't go home till you do your job. Wait till you have somewhere to be and they surprise another trailer on you. Don't do the trailer and they have grounds to fire you.
most of the new hires seem to stay for the peak season pay and immediately leave.
Seasonal workers.
You just assume that because I took too long to finish a long trailer in a HOT environment.
No I assume that because you took a 25 min "exhaustion" break for a 2 &1/2 hour trailer. The temperature doesn't matter when you're not even moving fast enough to raise your heartrate.
you're probably the kind of guy to work hard 24/7 no matter the circumstance because you don't know any better.
Work hard 24/7? It's 5 hours at the most.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Because you're lazy. If you're going slow in my local, the sups will save a trailer for you so you can't go home till you do your job. Wait till you have somewhere to be and they surprise another trailer on you. Don't do the trailer and they have grounds to fire you.

Seasonal workers.

No I assume that because you took a 25 min "exhaustion" break for a 2 &1/2 hour trailer. The temperature doesn't matter when you're not even moving fast enough to raise your heartrate.

Work hard 24/7? It's 5 hours at the most.
This is what we’re getting? No wonder they can’t fill driving positions. Gezzzus! What a wimp.

Brown Buddy

UPSnBrowns
(Happened just recently btw)

It was another Wednesday for me, the belts had stopped alot and for long times, so much that it took me 2 and a half hours to finish a long trailer. I was the last one to go on break and considering the hot heat in this facility, I decided to cool down for a decent while on the break room. I wasn't tracking my time but I was in there for a good 15-20 minutes. By the time I get back, the head supervisor was sweeping irregs. He told me why I took a "25 minute long break" and honestly I had no idea what to say to him. Apart from them sending me break so late and this mood changing heat, I told him "I don't know what to tell you man, I'm exhausted."

He decided to send me home for that reason.

Now, not to be the irrational one here, but can head supervisors send you home for a petty reason like that? I mean considering that half of our sweepers here are always on their phones half the time and almost everyone here takes 15 minute long breaks, it seemed absurd for him to send me home when im trying to stack my hours up this week. But yeah, idk. Can they do that? I talked to my shop steward about him and im currently just chilling on the break room right now.
Im
Guessing the break room has AC! How long have you been working for the company ?

Brown Buddy

UPSnBrowns
They couldn't fire him for a heat injury. They should have sent him in for an evaluation, that's what the supervisor screwed up. I smell a comp claim. Did anyone else get the PCM yesterday about heat injuries? He did exactly what the company expects us to do.
Have you read the “contract” or even the local new bills at state level ?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Yeah, take your time so you don't get hurt, but not take your time where your not doing work.

018DC965-A82C-4C3A-BCC9-74042D404F2C.gif

Cody are you high?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You can be fired for theft of time. Seen it a bunch of times. That's one of the cardinal sins. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. I suspect you'd have been walked to the gate if they weren't so hard up for people. They WILL remember this. They WILL be watching you in the future.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You can be fired for theft of time. Seen it a bunch of times. That's one of the cardinal sins. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. I suspect you'd have been walked to the gate if they weren't so hard up for people. They WILL remember this. They WILL be watching you in the future.

For following company policy? The union would look pretty silly letting that termination stick.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
For following company policy? The union would look pretty silly letting that termination stick.
What company policy? When I worked in the hub, the part timers got a 10 minute break. Management decided when it would be taken, and there was a loud klaxon horn that would signal beginning of break. PT supes job was to tell everyone in the break room and hanging outside when 10 minutes was up. Anything over 10 minutes was considered stealing time, because they were paying you while you sat in the breakroom.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What company policy? When I worked in the hub, the part timers got a 10 minute break. Management decided when it would be taken, and there was a loud klaxon horn that would signal beginning of break. PT supes job was to tell everyone in the break room and hanging outside when 10 minutes was up. Anything over 10 minutes was considered stealing time, because they were paying you while you sat in the breakroom.

Yes, things have changed since you retired. We were literally given a PCM about how to avoid heat injury the day before this post. OP did exactly what we were told to do in that PCM.

boxerdan

Where I am you can definitely take an extended break or a second break if its hot out, but letting your supe know what's going on seems like common sense, if for nothing else than to cover your ass.

My full-time supervisor is a hard ass and if somebody in my area went AWOL while the dock was :censored2:ed up as the belt stopping "a lot and for long times" would suggest, he would definitely walk you out for stealing time or job abandonment or something.